Kissimmee Things to Do

gatorland zoo
    by doug48
    old town
    by doug48
    Big Toho Airboat Rides (2010)
    by Kaspian

Best Rated Things to Do in Kissimmee

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Red helicopters

by smirnofforiginal Written May 2, 2007

I rang them before we went to Florida to check to see if we needed to make a reservation. The answer is "no" but when I asked them to tell me a little about themselves they said (and I quote) "Madam, our helicopters are big & red"... and when we got there, yes... indeed they were!

In 2004 the prices were adult/child $65/50 for a 15 minute flight which was tour 3 out of a possible 6. We were given headphones to wear because it was so loud but the children didn't like them. Our, then 2 year old was frightened by the noise and our, then 4 year olde wasn't sure. We, as adults loved it.

We were flown all over Orlando - except over Magic Kingdom due to security measures.

Would recommend it!

• Adventure Travel

gatorland

by doug48 Updated Mar 30, 2008

gatorland zoo

gatorland opened in 1949 and is one of central florida's oldest tourist attractions. gatorland is a zoological park that displays reptiles and other animals. an interesting pre-disney attraction to visit.

• Zoo

highway 192

by doug48 Written Mar 30, 2008

hwy 192 tourist shop

highway 192 also called irlo bronson memorial highway and within the city limits of kissimmee vine street is the main road between disney world and downtown kissimmee. US192 is probably the tackiest and the most touristy 20 miles in america. US192 is lined with gaudy tourist shops, discount attraction ticket sellers, miniture golf courses, fast food restaurants, cheap motels, and low end amusement parks. but if you are a real tourist this street should not be missed. children will love it and anyone with culture and class will hate it but still it is an american phenomenon that is worth a visit.

lake toho

by doug48 Written Mar 30, 2008

lake toho

lake tohopekaliga or also known as just lake toho is located two blocks south of broadway in downtown kissimmee. there is a very nice park that has picnic tables and a walking trail along the lake. lake toho is one of central florida's best fishing lakes. you can hire fishing guides at the kissimmee marina. another reason to visit kissimmee's other "old town".

• Fishing

historic district

by doug48 Updated Jan 4, 2009

downtown kissimmee

most visitors to kissimmee miss the real kissimmee old town. the kissimmee historic district has an interesting collection of historic homes and buildings as well as shops, restaurants, and bars. an area worth visiting when in the disney world area.

• Architecture

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Gatorland Zoo

by smirnofforiginal Written May 3, 2007

Returning to Gatorland 15 years after my first visit I was pleased to see that other than the introduction of "feed the gators" (where you buy sausages and lob them at their heads!) nothing had changed at all!

There's still the little Gatorland train trundling about the park.
    There's still the opportunity to have your photo taken with a snake and a baby gator.
    There's still the Wrestlin' Gator show which is so lame - it's only saving grace is the kind of cute guy with the gator!
    There's still the Jumparoo Show where the gators leap out of the water to get their decaying food.

There's the disabled gator pen when deformed and mutilated gators can merrily live out their lives.... if they are not maed into nuggets first! Yes, Gatorland breeds alligators for food... being a vegetarian I declined the opportunity to try the gator nuggets!

It's kind of a fun place and what's nice is it's size - it's not got anywhere near the enormity of places like Sea World and Disney and as such, it's quite a gentle, less tiring day out. Definitely a good thing to do on a day following one of the biggies!

• Zoo

Peter Pan

by Helga67 Updated Jun 29, 2003

Peter Pan

Fly above Never Land aboard a pirate ship and join the mischievous Peter Pan, his hot-tempered pixie companion, Tinker Bell and the children as they battle the most notorious, uproarious villain of them all, Captain Hook.

Kali River Rapids

by Helga67 Written Jul 8, 2003

Animal Kingdom

Do you REALLY wanna get soaked, okay, this is the attraction not to be missed!
    A white-water rafting adventure down the turbulent waters of the Chakranadi River. Do it on a sunny day, so you have time to dry up :-)

Maharajah Jungle Trek

by Helga67 Updated Jul 8, 2003

Giant Fruit bat

Explore the mystical Anandapur Royal Forest, and wander through the ruins of an ancient palace inhabited by beautiful and exotic animals, like giant fruit bats, birds, tapirs, komodo dragons and tigers.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Big Toho Airboat Rides

by Kaspian Updated Jan 12, 2011

Big Toho Airboat Rides (2010)

With less than five minutes to spare before the last Big Toho airboat tour of the day is scheduled to leave, my companion and I arrive in the parking lot. I run to the bathroom while she hides behind the car to change her shirt into something a little less formal. We quickly walk/run across the muddy grass, climb on board the boat, and sit down beside the other passengers. I am ecstatic right now!
    When I first told my Floridian friends that I was coming to visit they suggested a kayaking tour of the swamps. "Wait, aren't there alligators in there?," I wrote back. Not concealing my trepidation at paddling alongside my most feared creature, I offered an alternative, "Don't you guys have those boats with the giant fans attached to the back, like I see on TV? They look like fun!" Once a novel idea gets in my head, it's stuck there permanently--I wanted to ride an airboat no matter what! Before I left, I bragged about it to friends, coworkers, and anyone who would listen--"We're going to do one of those giant-fan-swamp-boat things in Florida." "Cool! Those look awesome!," was everyone's jealous reply.
    And here I am with the biggest Cheshire cat grin on my face, sitting beside a beautiful red-haired girl, when the operator gets on board, climbs to his elevated seat, and announces, "My name is 'Captain Joe'!" He turns the key in the ignition, the huge fan blades whirl into action, and just like that, we're off--tearing across the lake. Could life possibly get any better than this?
    Normally I'm an environmental sympathizer, and most people wouldn't dream I'd entertain the thought of racing through protected wet lands, scaring the hell out of all the wildlife, on a giant, diesel-powered machine.... But in this case, I'll easily make an exception.
    When Joe stops the boat at the other side of the lake to collect fare from us passengers, I decide he is exactly the sort of man I want powering an airboat--a hardened outdoorsy guy with a sense of humour echoed through a heavy southern drawl. He hands me a wireless credit card machine and I pay him our admission. Woah, high-tech hillbilly'n!
    The captain manoeuvres the boat through some thick swamp grass and winds us around a bend into a river. My jaw drops open in awe! Set before me is one of the most surreal scenes I've ever laid my eyes on. The channel is flanked on both sides by tall trees, Spanish moss drapes from the highest branches all the way down to the river banks, crystal still water mirrors the image back in negative as the sun sets in pinks and purples somewhere over the wooded horizon. It's an alien world beyond my wildest imagination! ...A scene from a creepy yet wonderful Tim Burton movie. This is the land that time forgot.
    As if to add its own crescendo to this fantastic landscape, a bald eagle abruptly swoops down from the thick forest to cross the bow of our craft. Surprised passengers gasp in astonishment and we all begin scrambling for our cameras. Then there's another! A second eagle follows the first and together they soar magnificently off into the sky. I glance back behind me and even salty Joe himself even seems a little astonished by the display we just witnessed. But eagles aren't gators, and since Big Toho guarantees an alligator sighting, the captain turns the boat around in search of the giant, prehistoric reptile.
    Finally, the eyes and snout of a gator are spotted peeking from some grass in the distance off our starboard side. Joe slowly moves the boat forward for a better look and the creature retreats, swimming further and further out into the dark, open water of the Lake Tohopekaliga. I find myself suddenly feeling sorry for the poor beast. My most feared creature isn't anything like the angry, gnashing cartoon shown on the Big Toho web site--instead, it's timid and very frightened of us.
    As the tour finishes, the captain docks the boat and proceeds helps us all out. I leave him with a warm "Thank you," and $10 tip. This was a fantastic tour--one of my all-time favourites ever. The only thing that could have made it better if it was me up in the captain's seat! ...But I can save that for next time.
    See my "Big Toho Airboat Rides" video.

• Sailing and Boating
    • National/State Park

• bip_231's Profile Photo

Florida aquarium

by bip_231 Written Jul 4, 2006

The Florida aquarium, located on Channelside Drive, Tampa, is a fantastic place to visit. We visited on a day when the weather wasn't so great, and as it's all indoors, we didn't have to worry about the weather. It's a great place to go, with a lot of animal exhibits, and things to see, such as animal talks, and feeding displays. It does take about 2-3 hours to go round, so leave plenty of time to see it all. We visited on a Sunday afternoon, during bad weather, and it wasn't too busy, but I'm sure it would have quieter in the morning, or on a week day.

It is a great place to visit though. It's informative, and educational, but in a fun way, we really enjoyed our visit.

• Aquarium

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Safari Ride in Animal Kingdom

by yellowbell Written Mar 1, 2005

Enjoy the safari ride in Animal Kingdom - there's nothing quite like it. The truck takes you to the wide expanse of the jungle with elephants, rhinoceros, zebras, lions etc. The animals are not in cages but in their simulated jungle habitat.

Not to be missed also are shows like Tarzan Rocks where you can see acrobats and hear some rock music and Festival of the Lion King (a musical show). These shows are good opportunities to be indoors and take refuge from the heat.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Get the adrenaline pumping..

by mafootje Updated Apr 10, 2007

The coaster

Well i don't know it by experience but i can't think it doesn't do that to you.
    The skycoaster in Old Town Kissimmee is 300 feet high and does make all those simular rides that can be found around the world look like toys.

When you have been lifted up and then released you will reach speeds up to 85 mph.

For a map and video of this ride click here .

• Theme Park Trips

• Do not see florida splindid china!!!

by freetibet Written Aug 3, 2003

We are protesting the inclusion of religious exhibits because there is no freedom to practice religion in China. The use of these symbols of religious thought and expression after the brutal treatment of religions and religious people by the communist government should be pointed-out. Although economic reform has been made, no such relaxation of the heavy-handed manipulations in religious matters from the communist party are in sight. If anything during the last year, the pressure on religion has increased.

• Valentina777's Profile Photo

Old Town stores are open 365...

by Valentina777 Updated Nov 8, 2002

Old Town stores are open 365 days a year, from 10:00am-11:00pm. The amusement rides are open from 4:00pm-11:00pm Monday-Friday, and 12:00 noon-11:00pm on Saturday and Sunday. (Rides usually stay open later on weekends and may vary seasonally) For the amusement rides, tickets are sold separately for each ride. Tickets are $1.00 each, or if you plan to ride a lot, you may want to purchase the VALUEPAK, which is 22 tickets for $20.00 or 35 tickets for $30.00. We also offer all day passes, which cost $15 for Florida Residents, or $25 for Non-Florida Residents (with valid ID). Ticket booths are located in Kids' Town, in the Checkers ride plaza and in the front ride plaza by the Ferris Wheel.

Instant Answers: Kissimmee

Comments

Kissimmee Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kissimmee things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kissimmee sightseeing.