Lake Worth Travel Guide

Lake Worth Hotels

Lake Worth Restaurants

• LeonardG's Profile Photo

by LeonardG Written Nov 27, 2012

As the world changes some cities win and others loose. Seven months ago a little place called Callaro's Prime Steak and Seafood closed its doors. With the theater next to it closing, the wise owners knew it was time to relocate. Not too much later, our own French restaurant of more than 20 years closed down. But the magic of the location on J Street and Lake Avenue would not lay dormant.

Callaro's (now just called Callaro's Steak House) is a critically acclaimed and award-winning restaurant. My peers from TV and newspapers have named it "best of" so many times. And they were correct to do so. Downtown Lake Worth is truly the winner to have a restaurant of this caliber call us home. In just the second night of its rebirth, the restaurant was packed with regulars and almost all of the tables are seated. How can there be regulars on just a second night? The key word here is loyalty. I have never witnessed a restaurant that can close down for seven months and have the same patrons from the closing day come back and ask for and receive the same wait staff.

Of course there are new servers here, some of the brightest and the best that our city can offer, and many of whom I recognize. But you have to acknowledge that after seven months the majority of the wait staff is from the old location. This is a very high-caliber restaurant. As I sit at the large bar waiting for a table, I meet a couple who have traveled about 30 minutes to get here. The seven months was simply too long for them.

The attention to detail and food quality is well beyond expectations. This restaurant could be magically transported to New York, Washington D.C., San Francisco, or even Chicago, and compete with the best that they have. It is a true upscale steak house and seafood establishment. The wine list is quite extensive and I choose to start off my dinner with a split of Louis Perdrier, a sparkling wine.

My dinner tonight is going to be simple, a salad and a steak. But this is Callaro's and what is simple to me is a detailed step-by- step process of perfection to everyone here from the front of the house to the chef in the back. My house salad is fresh and light. With iceberg lettuce and healthy spinach the salad indulges my appetite but does not suppress it. Octavian, my waiter, waits for the right moment - this is a place to take your time with a meal and with your company - and brings me my main meal. I ordered

one of the prime cuts of steak known as Filet Mignon. It comes out exactly as I ordered, medium, and is tender to the cut. I could not imagine a more perfectly cooked steak. Octavian comes and checks on me to make sure everything is good. A good trained waiter will make sure he or she visits you just enough times to let you know that he is available for you, and at the same time will make sure he does not pester you. The service and training at the restaurant is simply impeccable. This is not only my

feelings because as I talk to the tables around me they share their satisfaction with both the food and service given.

Inside the three dining rooms, there is a merging of two distinct worlds. The Palm Beach crowd has come over the bridge and taken

advantage of the complimentary valet parking, and many of our neighborhood residents are here, too. A fair amount of visitors have also stopped in. The bar is packed. Though you may want to plan ahead and get reservations, especially for weekend nights, it is not necessary; the food is worth the short wait. Callaro's is open for lunch and dinner and also offers a Sunday brunch. Stop by as soon as you can and you too will soon be a regular.

• Theater Travel

• by linaphil Written Jun 11, 2007

I used to work here, so perhaps I am a bit biased.... but I only started working there because I LOVED the food. It is a pretty small place, but they have a couple different locations now. Everything is super fresh and made to order. Their specialty which gives name to the place is "mississippi sweets" which are deep fried sweet potato slices that come out as potato chips with a distinct taste... I would however vote that their specialty should be the baby back ribs! THEY ARE TO DIE FOR!!!! I wont eat ribs anywhere else anymore. Also, they have great pulled pork, chicken wings, baked beans... everything really.

Save room for dessert too-- the keylime pie is homemade and fantastic! A real florida staple.

Like I said, the place is small.... 14 tables or so in each location. During "snowbird season" (when all the retirees come down from up north!!) especially you will have a long line outside to wait in.... therefore I recommend coming in for the much less busy lunch, or for an early dinner. At least a long wait indicates its something worth waiting for!

Favorite Dish: I vote for getting a half-slab of the baby back ribs, and for your choice of 2 sides...tractor treads (criss cross cut fries) and baked beans. I dont even like beans, and I LOVE these!

The portion is big, so a half slab should fill most people.. but there is the full slab option if you are really hungry... or you can get one of the combinations... a half slab and wings or something for instance.

• by June64 Written Jul 31, 2006

My friend took me here last Saturday, what a unique place. You can sit on sofa's at coffee tables or up on diningroom tables and chairs to eat. The place is jam packed with stuff for sale, you can even buy the chairs you are sitting on!! The food downstairs is tapas, small plates to share with your friends. Very tasty we shared the brie plate, shrimp, a chicken crepe and dessert. They had very reasonable bottles of wine at $20 so the whole evening was not extreemely expensive and we had a great experience too. The service was very friendly - they said that they have live music on mondays and tuesdays which I will be back to see sometime soon.
    I have booked to try the bistro upstairs for their food and wine pairing evening this wednesday. Hope it's as good as the cafe was this weekend.
    You must all visit this place, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: shrimp salsa - this was served with a very tasty papaya and mango salsa - yummy!
    baked brie - was wrapped in pastry and served with fruit - delicious!
    orange citrus chicken salad - very fresh
    chicken crepe - 3 crepes - very light

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel

Lake Worth Local Customs

• by Bloop Written Aug 26, 2002

There is a large population of Scandanavians there. There are also, Cubans, Haitians, and Asians. There are even some Germans. The only reason I mention this, is because each culture seems to have contributed a bit to the overall environment there. Restaurants, clubs....you know. It's very diverse.

Lake Worth Warnings and Dangers

• by Bloop Written Aug 26, 2002

Stay away from anyplace south of 6th Avenue. Do not get out of your car, or pullover to ask for directions if you are lost. The best thing to do, is to head east until you hit some kind of water - then turn around and drive west until you see I-95. Or if you need to stop, find a well populated, well lit clean looking area. It's sad, but just beyond paradise is a big population of local thugs and hoodlums.

Lake Worth What to Pack

• by Bloop Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Light duffle will do.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sunblock. Hat. Water.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Beach Towles.

Photo Equipment: Fast speed film for the usually bright days. 400 will do when it rains - you know - the usual vacation stuff.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you want to camp at John Prince Park, you may use any kind of tent. I would suggest to be sure it's water proof, and mosquito proof.

At the beach, less is best for lugging gear over piping hot sand. (trust me) A pair of sturdy sandals, and a decent hat that won't blow away. Sun block on your nose, under your eyes. And try not to expose for more than 1 hour. The sun at the beach is murderous. Just the way I like it.

Lake Worth Off The Beaten Path

• by Bloop Written Aug 26, 2002

John Prince Park. Further east on either Lake Worth Road, or east on 6th Ave. S., you can find a really huge park where all type of activities are to be seen and enjoyed. There are also several public boat ramps there, and jet ski rentals. The lake there is vast.

Lake Worth Favorites

• by Bloop Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Hit Tu-Tu's and check out the decrepit organist. She's a real hoot to see. Stumble on over to Rosie's Raw Bar for some damn fine grill. The crawl up Lucerne Avenue and visit the local eccentric coffee houses. Must do.

Fondest memory: The fireworks displays on 4th of July are some of the better ones, especially if you get near the lake front.

Instant Answers: Lake Worth

Comments

Lake Worth Travel Guide
Map of Lake Worth