Seven Mile Bridge, Marathon

Know about this? Rate It!

Two bridges side by side
    Closeup of bridge railing
    Underneath the bridge on Pigeon Key
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Old Seven Mile Bridge

by grandmaR Updated Aug 6, 2007
    Old Seven Mile Bridge from New Seven Mile Bridge

Favorite thing: The old 7 mile bridge was quite narrow. I didn't realize how narrow it was until I saw it again.

It is only possible to access the ends of the bridge from the Fleming Key end to Pigeon Key, and then there has been a piece taken out (photo 4) so that ships with taller superstructures can go through Moser Channel. Also it's probably to reduce liability. A similar piece has been taken out at the other end. So you can no longer get to the middle by land.

Fondest memory: Consequently, if one wants to take a picture of the old bridge, one must do it from the new bridge. I made many attempts to do this, and this is the best one. The bridge is deteriorating and rusting and trees are now growing on it. I only managed to catch the edge of one tree in this picture. There is a second photo (#3) which also shows the old bridge from the new one, and two photos (#2 and 5) that show closeups of the bridge from the little train called Henry.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

New Seven Mile Bridge

by grandmaR Written Mar 19, 2004
    New 7 mile next to old 7 mile

Favorite thing: I don't think we ever drove on the new Seven Mile Bridge until this year (2004). When we left Key West (to move to Philadelphia in January - brrr) we were still using the old bridge. Since then, we've seen it from the water, but not driven on it.

Fondest memory: The old bridge was narrow and was also a draw bridge. I totally do not remember where the draw bridge part of it was, and I can't figure it out now. But I know it must have been there, because otherwise how would big ships get from the bay side to the ocean side without going all the way down to Key West?

• o00o's Profile Photo

Mile Seven Bridge

by o00o Written Apr 18, 2003

Favorite thing: After crossing cowboy town Marathon, will be the peak of the journey to Key West. You are reaching Mile Seven Bridge.

Instant Answers: Marathon

Comments

Other Favorites in Marathon