Castaways, Marathon

3 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

1406 Oceanview Ave. Marathon, FL 33050 305-743-6247

Collage inside of restaurant and food
    by grandmaR
  • Catsaway's: Don't you dare..beware!!

by FishingtilIdie Written May 20, 2011

Favorite Dish: Right next door to a seedy trailer park...for a reason, folks!
    This was the big talk from the "locals", mind you. Some say a "hidden gem", more like "nasty phlegm". One step inside and you will see the deplorable, old, dirty decor, and that says a lot. Against my better judgment,w e stayed for a drink and and shared Sushi. It was a Saturday evening and while the food seemed fresh, as I was about to enjoy my delicious Tuna roll, I noticed a mouse crawling around the floor!! I wanted to throw up, I literally left my food, spoke to my friends and we paid and left. It still sickens me to this day thinking about it! I didn't bother complaining because you could easily tell by the staff and patrons, they are well aware of a filthy environment. Not the type of people I want to have a conversation with while upset, they were "thuggish", if you will.
    All around a grimy, revolting restaurant.
    The cats sitting at the tables, in the restaurant is a nice touch...barf..vomit!!! You would think they would eat the mice, probably too many to catch!!!
    2 thumbs down, and a punch in my gut for even walking in this nasty place!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Castaways: MM 47.5 Waterfront Restaurant

by grandmaR Updated Oct 22, 2004

Collage inside of restaurant and food

This restaurant is Oceanside near some marinas. We took a taxi to it. We enjoyed our meal, although they were planning to close to remodel when we were there. We were seated where we could look out on the canals.

We came back to this restaurant on Wednesday, Dec 2003 - we walked over from the marina this time.

They serve beer and wine and have a children's menu.

Favorite Dish: $37.15 was what we spent for two of us in 2002 including tip.

In 2003, Bob got the shrimp salad, and I got coconut shrimp which included new potatoes and a salad bar. We also got a basket of 'honey buns' which were deep fried bread which were a cross between donuts and hush puppies. The total including tip was $39.22.

The second time we went I got the snapper curry ($20.95) which included a trip to the salad bar, and Bob got the steamed shrimp appetizer for $14.95. The total with tip was just under $50.00

Last time we went I got the snapper Matzalan which is one of their specialties, and it was very good. Another specialty is alligator tail - I haven't had that one.

The picture shows the interior of the restaurant with the torchiere heaters (as it is cold for Florida now in December). The center bottom inset is my coconut shrimp. The bottom right inset is Bob's shrimp salad, and the top right inset is the salad bar.

Instant Answers: Marathon