Wiped Out by Wilma - Property For Sale, Marathon

by PJcips
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Quay of Marathon: MM 53.9 Wiped Out by Wilma

by grandmaR Updated Mar 5, 2008

Aerial photo - sale area outlined in yellow

This property was wiped out by Hurricane Wilma.

The site is now for sale for $5 million. - outlined in yellow below

--------------------------------------------

My daughter considered taking us to dinner by boat to this place, but she was afraid we wouldn't be able to get back around to our slip after dark. So I decided to go and check it out. Seating is inside or outside and they also have a Tiki Bar and a gift shop. Bob picked to eat inside.

I was glad to see that they had early bird specials from 4-6. The regular menu items were between $15 and $30, but the early bird specials had everything included and in the regular menu you paid extra for drinks, and dessert, plus the prices were about $2.00 more than on the early bird.

The service was somewhat slow and disorganized. Our waitress had 5 tables inside, and at least one outside, and a lot of them were seated at the same time.

Favorite Dish: I had the early bird Florida lobster stuffed with crab meat for $16.95, and Bob had the early bird bbq ribs and half roasted chicken (which was too much for him to eat) for $14.95. The prices ranged my lobster dish down to $10.95 for chicken.

This price included:
    * tea or coffee (we had iced tea and the waitress brought the pitcher and left it on the table)
    * salad (which Bob had), or soup (it was cream of celery and I had that),
    * the entree (there were a number of them listed including prime rib, veal marsala, and a shrimp casserole)
    * boiled potatoes (I had), baked potato (Bob had) or rice,
    * vegetable (in this case nice green fresh green beans - not overcooked),
    * homemade bread (two kinds, the dark sweet bread was good, but the rolls were scorched on the bottom and tasted stale to me), and
    * chef's choice of dessert (cheesecake).

There are no substitutions on this menu. The soup of the day (which I didn't want in any case) was beef barley and we could not have had that.

I did also consider the special of coconut shrimp, which the waitress said were 5 shrimp as big as her hand, but it was $24.95. The prices of the specials were not listed on the board out front.

There was a big dessert exhibit in the front of the restaurant (picture) which included a number of cakes and other yummy looking things but there is only one dessert on the early bird menu. I thought our desserts looked like they had been to the wars, with big pieces out of them, like they had been sliced carelessly and stuff had broken off. They tasted perfectly good though.

• PJcips's Profile Photo

The Quay: View meets Taste

by PJcips Updated Mar 21, 2004

Quay Light

The sunsets are beautiful from Quay. Dining is your choice of indoors or outdoors. The main dining room is all windows. We also loved the row of charming little gift shops adjoining the restaurant. Unfortunately the shops close at 6:00, so we weren't able to browse for long. The food was scrumptious.

Favorite Dish: Pasta marinara with seafood.
    Fabulous desserts.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

The Quay: Another Restaurant with a view!

by tpangelinan Written Jul 18, 2004

The Quay

Eat indoors or out, very nice view from the deck, quiet little cove. Very relaxing, good food and service.

Instant Answers: Marathon