Don't stay at the Expensive Chain Hotels!
If you are planning to visit Marco Island, I reccomend not staying at any of the large chain hotels at the shouthern end of the island. Although they will offer a long list of 'features' your overall stay will not be as enjoyable and here's why.
- They are for the most part old
- There is lots of construction going on at the south end
- Due to crowding of the hotels, the beach will be very crowded
- They rip you off
- Some of them will be turned into condos soon (more construction)
- The rooms are smaller than renting a condo or a smaller hotel
- The 'features' they offer are often not available
Unique Suggestions: - Try to get a good price by using a website with a price guarentee or a travel agent.
- Expect construction and noise.
- Walk north on the beach where it will be less crowded
- Don't go in the winter when you are sure to be ripped off
Fun Alternatives: The best way is to rent a condo or stay at a smaller hotel.
One of the best places is the South Seas Complex - see my hotels tip.
Book from a website such as ResortQuest.com - better rates, plus if you are nice and ask politely for a discount, they will most likely give you one.
See the pictures for the SSNW tower where we stayed!
There are quite a few old people, but it's still nice.
Be wary of lots of rules and restrictions by the condo board, call ahead.
- Water Sports
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
Fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to save
Southwest Florida, Naples, and Marco Island airports can be very expensive especially at peak times to fly into. Especially if you book late.
Unique Suggestions: If you already have tickets, hopefully you booked early and got a good price, but you can call your airline and try to switch it.
Fun Alternatives: If you are planning on visiting Marco Island or the surrounding area, it is best to fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami International Airports because the fares are much cheaper than Southwest Florida, Naples, and Marco Island airports, and the 2 hour or so drive is right across aligator alley and is completely painless. Even if you fly to SWF airport you will still have a hefty drive, so spend the extra time to save money on the flights.
See this website: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.826758,70.927734&saddr=Ft.+Lauderdale&daddr=400+S+Collier+Blvd,+Marco+Island,+FL+34145+(Marco+Island+Marriott+Resort)+%4025.921259,-81.726844&ie=UTF8&ll=26.017298,-80.952759&spn=1.379711,2.216492&om=1
- School Holidays
- Budget Travel
- Business Travel
- Great room rates
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates