Marquesas Keys Travel Guide

Channel in the Marquesas from a seaplane
    Mangroves from the air
    Fort in the morning

Marquesas Keys Sports & Outdoors

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Ship for diving from seaplane

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

The seaplane people gave us a list of things we might see. There were two wrecks on the list - one on each side of the plane. This one was the one that was on my side. I didn't get a picture of the other one because I didn't get to fly back and see the stuff on the other side/

I found on the internet what this ship might be. I know that at least one of the wrecks was deliberately sunk.

"The Cayman Salvor -This 180-foot. steel hulled buoy tender, also known as the Cayman Salvager, was intentionally sunk as an artificial reef in 1985. She now sits upright with cavernous open holds providing refuge for baitfish and grunts, as well as a resident jewfish and green moray eel."

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Sports fishing boat from seaplane

by grandmaR Written Mar 23, 2005

The Marqueses and Fort Jefferson have wonderful fishing. My SIL goes as often as he can. I'm not a fisherman, but this is a quote from one of the guide pages:

"The permit are here in droves and boy did they bulk up for winter. I have seen some fish that I know will go a strong 40 + pounds out in the Marquesas. Plenty of shots as well for my anglers on fly and spinning gear. The Marquesas are a wonderfull place to fish this time of the year. I am one of the few guides in Key West who runs all the way out there on a 6 hour trip. I find that fishing out there gets me out of the congestion of all the other boats offering my anglers a true fishing expereience like no other."

Equipment: Further information from this page:

"Whoever you fish with, be sure they are an independent guide. Check for insurance, Licenses and experience. Be sure your guide owns and operates his or her buisness. Check with the local booking agents to verify reputation. Call the Key West Chamber of Commerce to see about your guide. This will enhance your fishing experience here in Key West"

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches
    • Fishing

• Marquesas Keys Hotels

0 Hotels in Marquesas Keys

Instant Answers: Marquesas Keys

Comments

Marquesas Keys Travel Guide
Map of Marquesas Keys