Chinese, Miami

3 out of 5 stars 3 Stars - 5 Reviews

8888 SW 130th Street, Kendall, FL 33176 305-234-2338

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

South Garden Chinese Restaurant in Kendall: Neighbourhood Non Pretentious Chinese Tucker

by cochinjew Written Jan 25, 2014

Pleasant service led by the head waiter Peter
    food is tasty, of sufficient quality and not too expensive
    the restaurant on weekdays is fairly quiet
    on sundays you can expect a storm with the dim sum trollies whizzing by

Favorite Dish: Three of us dine here together when we are in Miami
    usually a protein crispy chicken
    the starch fried vegetables with vegetables
    green veggie choy sam, which is much like chinese broccoli, steamed

jasmine tea
    comes to 32 dollars plus tips

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Panda Express: Fast Food Paraded as Gourmet Chinese

by cochinjew Written Mar 7, 2009

To call this chinese food is an insult to the billion chinese.. it is a stirfry place, fast food with young cooks throw things into a wok and put some oil and viola.. food is ready.. has a metallic taste to it and of course my stomach was upset at this first meal on american soil after a month of good food in Paris.
    people who took me there normally would take me to a lebanese or a thai place, the popularity of places like this may have something to do with the economy in that it is cheaper, two people can have lunch for less than 15 usd..
    I do not recommend this place. it is on Sunset drive and around 107 avenue... life is too short for bad food..

Favorite Dish: Nothing really..one can order two main dishes and a side dish or a combination there of.. the food is stirfry comes straight out.. so you can watch it as young cooks throw things into the wok and stir fry them..

• Homanded's Profile Photo

P F CHANG'S: Nouvo Chinese

by Homanded Written Aug 5, 2006

Wonderful food, creatively prepared. Very fun atmosphere in that it's always crowded and full of people.
    The one in South Miami offers great opportunity to sit and people watch on their way to the mall.
    This, ALAS, is also it's only downfall...you often have to wait up to 2 hours to be seated.
    Once seated, the service can be quite slow - up to an hour or more.
    Just digging through the menu can be exhausting as they have a humongous menu from which to choose.

If you are lucky to have a regular to take you there perhaps some of the confusion will be cut down as they can steer you towards favorites.
    They do not take reservations - a true shame since it's always so crowded.

Favorite Dish: Lettuce wraps are a must as are their crab wontons (rongoons) which are served with a sweet plum sauce.
    Their version of Tuna Tataki is also very good - though not as good as Sushi Maki (see Sushi Maki tips).

Almond Cashew Chicken was tasty as was their pork
    One of my favorites: The Cantonese Scallops and Crispy Honey Shrimp

One of the best dishes (only have had it better in actual China - Yangshuo province - stir fried vegetables.
    They have a huge vegeterian selection and vegans will not go hungry here.
    Try their stir fried eggplant and a MUST is the Stir fried spinach with garlic. Eating this with chopsticks right out of the bowl is mouthwatering good!
    Also, the coconut curried veggies have a thai flair.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

P.F. Chang's China Bistro: Upscale Chinese with Wine

by grandmaR Written Mar 3, 2004

collage from car

My daughter decided that we'd all go out to dinner at P.F. Changs. The problem was that it was so late and so crowded that we had to wait to be seated. And then it took us awhile to wade through the menu and decide what we wanted, and then we had to wait to be served. So it wasn't at all a fast meal and the kids (ages 2 and 8) got a bit antsy. Frankly so did I. My granddaughter spent time climbing on the pink columns (As soon as you approach the restaurant, you as you are greeted by two larger-than-life lions guarding the door.) outside while we were waiting.

Being quite naive, I did not realize that P.F. Changs was a chain or franchise. It apparently started in Scottsdale AZ when Paul Fleming, who started out as a Ruth's Chris Steak House franchisee couldn't find a good Chinese restaurant.

From an interview about Paul Fleming:
    "One of the things that's different from a traditional Chinese restaurant is that 20% of our sales come from liquor, and 10% of that is wine. Paul offered about a 40-bottle wine list and everything was available by the glass. It really raised the bar, giving the restaurant kind of a steakhouse feel."

I felt it was quite expensive, although the bill for the 6 of us was only $103.69 including tax and tip. But my toddler granddaughter really can't be counted in the total.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember what I had, but from their menu

Chang's Recommends

(All entrées served with a choice of steamed brown or white rice)

CHANG' S SPICY CHICKEN
    Lightly dusted and stir-fried in a sweet Sichuan sauce.
    (Our version of General Chu's)
    $10.95

* I may have had this as it is my favorite*

MOO GOO GAI PAN
    P.F. Chang's version of the classic Cantonese dish with chicken and shrimp.

MONGOLIAN BEEF
    Quickly cooked steak with scallions and garlic.
    $11.95

ORANGE PEEL CHICKEN
    Tossed with orange peel and chili peppers for a spicy/citrus combination.

CRISPY HONEY SHRIMP
    Lightly battered and quick-fried with a flavorful sauce.
    $12.95

CANTONESE SCALLOPS OR SHRIMP
    Stir-fried with garlic, yellow chives and snow peas.
    $12.25

CANTONESE ROASTED DUCK
    Served with steamed wheat buns, cucumbers, scallions, plum and
    hoisin sauces.
    $12.95

GINGER CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI
    Served Cantonese-style on a bed of fresh steamed broccoli.
    $10.75

MANGO CHICKEN
    Stir-fried chicken with mangoes, onions, bean sprouts and carrots.

• parsix's Profile Photo

Chinese: CHINA GRILL

by parsix Updated Nov 8, 2003

china grill collage

This place is just spectacular. From the minute you walk to the huge building in
    Beatiful neon lights.
    Striking - almost ethereal - light fixtures float throughout the room like clouds.
    And mostly important, my favourite, and the best dessert in Miami. BANANA IN A BOX... trust me, I just keep coming back for this.

• Study Abroad