Rusty Pelican, Miami

3 out of 5 stars 3 Stars - 7 Reviews

Key Biscayne 305-361-3818

Another picture in another year
    From the ICW across the mooring field
    by grandmaR
  • View from the mooring field during the day
    View from the mooring field during the...
  • RUSTY PELICAN: HORRIBLE SERVICE BAD EXPERIENCE

by Gabriellepin Written Feb 15, 2012

I ve been to the restaurant a couple of times with my family last year before the renovation but this was my boyfriends first time going there. After making a reservation a week and a half in advance and calling in the same day to confirm it, we arrived there on time at 9:30pm and they told us we had to wait like 15 minute. They never even offered us to wait at the bar which was almost empty but after waiting 5 minutes we decided to ask if we could go to the bar and just went. My boyfriend and i had a drink there, then our table was ready i went alone to the host station because my boyfriend stayed paying at the bar. she took me to our table and told me she would go and take my boyfriend to the table from the bar too. She never did, i had to call him after waiting and tell him where i was sitting.
    The server took our order right away i order my meat medium rare to rare i specifically said i like my meat really red inside. My Meat came barely pink inside, overcooked but worse was my boyfriend whose ravioles came cold inside! After waiting to see our waiter I decided to just stay with my overcooked meat but we gave the ravioles(too cold to be eaten) to a bussboy because our server never passed by to see how we were doing. After like 15 minutes our server reappeared and we asked him about my boyfriends ravioles. He had no idea we were waiting for them to begin with! He went to the kitchen and came back with the ravioles right away. THEY DIDNT EVEN GIVE HIM A NEW PLATE. Of the 5 little ravioles he got from the menu (85$ per person) he had eaten one. so after 15 minutes of wait they brought back only 4 ravioles of the same plate that they obviously just heated up not even bothering about the almost other that we ate cold. Whatever we ate it (me with my overcooked meat which was cold already by that time). After they brought us the dessert which was a plate with like 5 little pastries they gave me mine (perfect) and then my boyfriends with only 4 pastries. we obviously noticed the difference right away and the sever just said oops one of the pastries must have fallen off and left the plate like that in front of my boyfriend and left!! He obviously waited and thought that after saying that he was coming back with a new plate or at least one with just the one he was missing but no, he never did. without changing and bringing his dessert plate complete or without saying i ll be back with the pastry you are missing without even the slightest apology! After that we just asked for an expresso and the bill. After everything that had happend he didn't even apologized or offered us the expresso and worse the 18% (definitely not deserved) gratuity were included in the total of our bill overpriced bill!! This was definitely my worst Valentines experience ever and for the 250$ we had to pay you would have expected way more specially from the server. My boyfriend and I we both work in nice restaurants and know how it is and we hate complaining, we really are pretty easy clients but that was just too much. Not worth it at all!

• Rusty Pelican: Hmmm......

by goodrums Written Mar 10, 2007

SO,.....My fiance and I hosted a party of around 25 at the Rusty Pelican. First of all, Fantastic Views of water and city! Now, Here's what you get if you book a big party at this restaurant....Unattentive service, Unapologetic and unsympathizing Management, and half-decent food. First, they didn't have enough tables for us, and we stood around for a good 20 minutes. I had to eventually get the manager to help with this. Once we were seated. Wine service and apps were timely. Unfortunately, Water service wasn't done at all! Coffee and dessert took a very long time to receive and wasn't refilled. Only half of the guests who requested coffee were even served to begin with. And forget about trying to locate the waiter. Not only did he have our table of 25, he also had several other tables at the same time!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Anyway, Romantic? Yes. Nice atmosphere? Absolutely. Service? No way, Jose! Would we go back? I'd have to think about it.........Def. not with a big table.

Favorite Dish: Filet Mignon was good. Cheese bread great. Lobster tough/rubbery but most guests said they enjoyed it. Wine was delish. Coffee was watered down and not that hot.

• Beaches

• Homanded's Profile Photo

Rusty Pelican: Don't miss Sunday Brunch

by Homanded Written Aug 5, 2006

Located on the Rickenbacker Causeway, on the way to Key Biscayne. Perfect for a Sunday brunch as you travel further into Key Biscayne for the day.

Rated #1 in Key Biscayne, it has good food - though quality seems to have gone down lately.
    What is lacks in quality (still good - just not as good as it used to be), it makes up for with views of entire Miami skyline.
    What could bemore Miami than sitting on a marina watching people water ski and wind surf as you sip mimosas.
    Night times, the sky line takes on a whole new look with bright lights, and smaller boats sillhuetted against the shimmering lights on the water.

Favorite Dish: Prime Rib and Lobster are very good here. Prime Rib is juicy and cooked to perfection.
    Sunday Brunch is a huge affair with endless dishes and large dessert table.
    Try to get outside seating.
    Reservations strongly recomended; specially during special events such as Mother's Day, Valentines and Holidays.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Rusty Pelican: Look to Miami from Key Biscayne

by grandmaR Updated Sep 16, 2005

From the ICW across the mooring field

We've been to this restaurant a couple of times. It is a romantic place - In good weather you can eat outside and watch the sun go down on Miami across the way. A little more expensive than we usually go for. They did have early bird specials which were a bit more reasonable.

We went on Valentine's Day in 2001 (forgetting that it was Valentine's Day) and the place was packed to the gills and they had to have valet parking because the parking lot was full. They lock the gates to the parking lot after the restaurant closes at night. So if you park here for the marina at night you won't be able to get your car in the morning.

For some reason (maybe they don't want boat people in the restaurant), there is no way you can come here by boat as the docks do not have enough water to float a boat and there are rocks right off the restaurant.

Open: MON-THU 11:30 am-11 pm.
    FRI-SAT 11:30 am-12 am.
    SUN 11:30 am-11 pm.

Favorite Dish: For Valentine's Day they had a special which included everything - everything meant you got wine or champagne with the meal. We ate outside which was a little chilly. You wanted to warm yourself on the candle at the table. It was also so dark we had to borrow a flashlight from the waiter to read the menu.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Rusty Pelican: Rusty Pelican

by goingsolo Updated Mar 30, 2005

The Rusty Pelican is practically an institution. Its located on the water off Key Biscayne, a pretty island community which juts eastward of Miami and is separated by a causeway.

Visiting the restaurant alone is worthwhile, even if you don't eat here, which you should. A garden walkway fronts the entrance into this two story restaurant, giving it a relaxed feel. At times, schools of dolphins swim past the dock area. Its also nice on the rare chilly night as fires are lit outside.

The food here as great as the atmosphere. Cozy booths and tables with a view of the water, its casual and romantic at the same time. The seafood is always fresh, the salads are delicious and the bread is awesome. And no meal at the Rusty Pelican would ever be complete without their amazing Key Lime Pie.

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

THE RUSTY PELICAN.: THE RUSTY PELICAN.

by pulgaron Updated Aug 24, 2002

Right on the water across the intercoastal waterway. It's location gives it the best view of the Miami sky line afetr dark. Just go there after dark, of course, seat outside in the terrace with your favorite drink, and enjoy the view. The only other way to get this view is from a boat. It's not the same from Miami Beach, it's too far. Cute name too. MIAMI VISITORS, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Favorite Dish: Red snapper filet. Key lime pie.

• Jasonuk72's Profile Photo

The Rusty Pelican: Brunch on Sundays!!

by Jasonuk72 Updated Feb 16, 2003

Inside the Pelican

The choice is fantastic. Start your meal with Champagne, and then tuck straight into fresh seafood. And carry

Favorite Dish: The omlette! Made as you wait!

Instant Answers: Miami