Seaquarium, Miami

Sea Lion show
    by grandmaR
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 14, 2014

After years of having my blinders on, I am aware of the true nature of places like the Miami Seaquarium. It's so sad that we rob these beautiful creatures of their families and homes.

Don't support such life long torture and loniless of animals that spend all of their lives with their families.

If you want to know more about the lives that these animals live watch "BLACKFISH"

• Aquarium

• Dolphins? Swimming? Shows? Yes please!

by beachbumzzz Written Sep 20, 2011

Lots of fun I had with my mom and dad. It was my mom's bday so we went and swam with dolphins. Super fun! Dad even took pics and I took pics of him while he swam. We saw shows and walked around seeing all the cool animals. Can't wait to go again.

• fun times swimming with dolphins

by hushhud Written Jul 12, 2011

This is 100% perfect for a family get together or for a date or just to walk around by yourself. I went with my best friend and we were really excited to go swimming with dolphins, something we have never done. The price is pretty good and admissions is great compared to other seaquariums. We had a blast, an experience never to forget! The park is older but very cute and well taken care off. I would recommend it to all my friends. make sure you have time to see all the shows!

• doug48's Profile Photo

seaquarium

by doug48 Written Jun 18, 2010

miami seaquarium

the miami seaquarium is located on rickenbacker causeway between downtown miami and key biscayne. the miami seaquarium has dolphim and orca shows and numerous tropical fish tanks. a fun and educational place to take children when in miami.

• Fun times at Miami Seaquarium

by simplynyc Written Jun 7, 2010

My family and I recently took a trip to Miami, FL. We drove to Miami Seaquarium in order to educate the kids about marine animals. We bought our tickets online and we saved some $. We got there early in the day and we were sure to call before going in order to know the schedule of the shows. We saw all of the shows and the kids had a lot of fun. All of the shows were very educational and they kept our attention. The workers/trainers did a great job and the animals were amazing. The dolphins and whale with all of their tricks really impressed the kids and they loved it. They are still talking about it.
    I was very happy with the decision that we made on going to the Seaquarium. The shows and exhibits were fun and educational.

• TakeMeSomeWhere's Profile Photo

Sickening SeaQuarium!

by TakeMeSomeWhere Written Sep 2, 2009

Small Pool for a Whale at Miami SeaQuarium!

The Miami SeaQuarium is a horrible place! My family went there earlier this summer... we were sickened and saddened. The animals were kept in terrible conditions.

The huge killer whale, Lolita, was kept in a shallow pool the size of a YMCA swimming pool! The dolphins were kept in old, outdated-looking tanks, as were the fish and the parrots had pulled their feathers out. The aquarium itself had very little to do and it lacked any sort of educational value for children (or adults). The Miami SeaQuarium is a park past its time. The food is gross and salty, the parking and admission is outrageously expensive, and there is hardly any shade awnings to sit under! The animal shows were depressing. Teenaged animal trainers pranced out on stage and made these lethargic animals flip around... it wasn't even worth taking a family picture in the park!

Don't bother with Seaquarium. It's a waste of money and time! Horrible place, I'd say. My family, including young children and an elderly couple, agree. We enjoyed visiting the beach much more. And... in fact, we saw wild dolphins at the beach! They looked better than the caged ones at the SeaQuarium!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Crandon Seaquarium

by grandmaR Updated Jul 15, 2009

Children waiting for the show in the 60s

To get to the Seaquarium on the land, you have to go over the Rickenbacker toll bridge. We haven't been here since the mid 60s. My Miami SIL is a big aquarium fan, and I think my grandchildren go here fairly often. Annual passes are available.

Miami Seaquarium opens at 9:30am every day.

From their website: "Food outlets and gift shops are available throughout the park. Admission ticket booths and in-park shops gladly accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express cards."

OPERATING HOURS • 9:30am - 6:00pm

Daily Rates
    General Admission $24.95
    Children (3 to 9) $19.95
    Plus 7% Florida sales tax

Upgrade your Admission Receipt to an Annual Pass for only $8.00* (plus tax)

ANNUAL PASSES
    Daily Rates
    General Admission $32.95
    Children (3 to 9) $27.95
    Plus 7% Florida sales tax

• Aquarium

• Don't go the the seaquarium

by saveouroceansnow Written Jul 6, 2008

First of all it is the dirtiest park that I have ever been to, and I've been all over the United States.

When I walked in I looked at my boyfriend and asked him "Are they serious?" it Is that bad. From that moment on things continued to get worse. Once you stroll around the paths coming off the entrance you get to the whale "stadium" it's more like a whale bathtub. I could not believe how small this tank was, it blew my mind. I found an employee walking around the tank and asked her "why is the tank so small?" and she responded "because it was built for when she was a baby." Then I asked her if they had plans to build another tank and she replied "no we don't have the funds, and she's been in this tank a long time she's fine." I later saw her during the whale show and she was Lolita's trainer. I could not believe my ears.I later learned that the whale tank is the oldest in the world and illegal by government standards for housing an orca. To make matters even worse Lolita the orca shared that tank with a pacific white sided dolphin as well.

Her show was tear jerking and left me infuriated that I had actually contributed my money to this horrible establishment. Her tank was only a little over twice as long as her and when she did her jumps she often hit herself off the bottom because it was so shallow.

Other than that the coral reef tank had salt water leaks coming from the viewing windows that formed algae on the glass where you looked in so you could hardly see anything on the inside. It was really scary when we were walking out of that building and you get wet because of a big leak squirting on you from the top of the tank by the exit. I actually thought it was a sprinkler to cool us off before we went outside, until I asked another employee about it and he said it was a leak.

The sea lions had a small tank and 2 out of the 4 we saw had absinthes on their face and we're really cut up on their face. It looked like it was from rubbing their faces on the side of their concrete enclosure. The dolphins had a normal style stadium that actually was in the best shape out of anything there, but they had so many dolphins jammed into it.

The food was expensive,nasty, and reheated. We ate at the Seaquarium Cafe and spent about $30 on 2 mini pizzas and 2 waters. Trash was floating all over the grounds because the trash cans were over flowing and the wind was blowing it out. They sold beer to me when I was only 20 without asking for ID.

You would be way better off driving an extra 40 minutes to Key Largo and going on a wild dolphin watching tour or driving to Marathon and visiting the dolphin research center where they actually take care of their animals and grounds.

YOU WILL LEAVE THE SEAQUARIUM DISAPPOINTED AND UPSET.

• Zoo

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Miami Seaqarium

by mafootje Updated Aug 26, 2007

Dolphin Show

In the Miami Seaqarium (no no typo this time). You can find fish..and dolphins...

If you ever drove by it when going over the Rickenbacker Causeway, you maybe thinking it's smaller then it is in reality. They have an great outside basin with dolphins which looks more natural then what i was used to in Aquariums.

When you enter the park and you follow the show schedule you will be led through the park and can easily spent a morning or afternoon going to all shows. But outside the show there are more things to see, it's well worth the $ 23,95 admission, you can even get $2 off when you buy your tickets online at http://miamiseaquarium.com/.

• DONT GO

by anti_miamiseaquarium Written Jan 6, 2007

i refuse to go to the miami seaquarium. it has hundreds of health and fire hazords. and the real EXPOSED truth:

- the "flipper show", is not true, and is in know way educational. infact, the REAL FLIPPER died nearly 30 YEARS AGO.

- every animal is exploited

- the park is just filthy, and the underwater viewing areas are covered in salt, and there are countless leaks.

- LOLITA IS SUFFERING. THE SHOW IS IN NO WAY EDUCATIONAL, UNLESS YOU WANT TO TEACH YOUR CHILDREN ON HOW TO KILL ANIMALS, MAKE THEM SUFFER, AND DEPRIVE THEM OF THERE BEAUTY.

- LOLITA'S TANK IS ILLEGAL! in most parts of the tank, if lolita put the tip of her nose against the bottom of the pool, 12 FEET OF HER WOULD STICK OUT IN THE AIR! and at the tanks deepest, HER TAIL DRAGS AGAINST THE BOTTOM.

thank you, and i hope you enjoy your visit at the Miami Seaprison - Oops!... I... I meant Miami Seaquarium!

• amazingclick's Profile Photo

Miami Aquarium

by amazingclick Written May 6, 2005

Miami Aquarium

I would definitely not recommend a visit to the aquarium. Its old and boring. Specially if you have gone to good ones in Australia and even places like chicago. This seems like a drab. Its $ 21 to get in and I will definitely not recommend it to anyone.

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo

SEA AQUARIUM

by cheesecake17 Updated Apr 24, 2005

flipper show

This is south florida largest marine aquarium...home to famous killer whale , lolita and superstar dolphin , flipper...

I was a little desappointed that the park was not maintain in good condition I was there almost 20 years ago...and the park seem to aged too...

The shows were ok...

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Written Feb 26, 2007

Miami Seaquarium

Its a little dated and quite expensive, still the Miami Seaquarium has a decent collection of marine exhibits and shows. Very nice Mantee exhibit.

• Zoo

• cobrioc's Profile Photo

The Miami Seaquarium where...

by cobrioc Written Feb 25, 2003

Miami

The Miami Seaquarium where Flipper and Lolita the Killer Whale perform daily.Another popular show, the Flipper Dolphin show.

• Fishing

Instant Answers: Miami

Comments

Hotels Near Seaquarium
1.8 miles away