Beach!, Miami Beach

Rip tides and Man of War warning signs
    by pulgaron
    Shark Patrol
    by chrissyalex
    Hey, where's my baywatch?
    by Scandic
  • chrissyalex's Profile Photo

Jellyfish,Waterbugs and other Creepy Crawlies!

by chrissyalex Updated Jun 26, 2003

Shark Patrol

Florida has alot of creepy ,crawly creatures we don't have up North where I live such as poisenous snakes, alligators, HUGE bugs and jellyfish.
    There is also the possiblity of running into a shark.I wouldn't obsess with worry about it since I don't think the chances of an encounter are that high, but it's a possiblity you may want to keep in mind.

We were chilling out on the beach , when all of a sudden I heard a bloodcurdling scream "Help! Shark!" An older couple were running towards the shore for their lives and then almost collapsed in exhaustion on the beach. Everyone ran over to see if they were OK and they were pointing to a fin swimming out in the water, Apparently, this large fish with a fin brushed up against the lady while she was swimming. The lifeguard saw this fish and said everything was OK and that it was just a tarpin. I really felt badly for this couple. If I were in the same situation where a huge fish with a fin swam by me in the ocean where there is a possiblity of sharks , I probably would have been 10 times more frightened than they were. Although the lifeguard identified the big fish as a tarpin, all potential shark sightings are investigated ( which is a good thing!) and within minutes a helicopter flew by to scope out the area . Luckily, no sharks were found.

A jellyfish encounter is a much more common ,but less dangerous problem. If there have been a number of jellyfish sightings, there will be a warning sign posted at the lifeguard station. I saw this sign posted once and stuck to sunbathing that day. Ok, I'm a chicken! LOL

While walking around across from Ocean Drive, I came across this HUGE beetle like insect on the sidewalk. It was the biggest bug I have ever seen and had to be about 4 inches long! I was told that this was probably a waterbug. I doubt they are dangerous, but it was pretty darn scary looking!

I was warned about mosquitos before leaving for Florida and brought repellent. I have to say, I really didn't find them a problem. I guess I was lucky .

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

Rip Currents

by pulgaron Written Nov 2, 2002

Rip tides and Man of War warning signs

Watch for the rip current signs at the life guard stations. Stay close to shore while the flags are up. Rip currents are outgoing currents that take you out to sea far from shore. If you get caught in one do not try to swim against it towards the beach. Swim parallel to the beach at a 90 degree angle to the current flow, in other words across it, until you are out of it. Then proceed to swim towards the beach. The currents are not that wide, 30 to50 yards at the most. Just don't loose you cool, and you will be OK. The life guards are always watching, and the'll come get you if you gey in trouble.

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Stay where the action is!

by HotRodEtte Written Jul 11, 2005

Do not go to the beach after dark! It is filled with drug dealers, crack heads and trouble makers. We found this out from the concierge when we decided to walk down to the beach at 5:30 am and film the sunrise on the camcorder. Luckily he caught us and warned us what lurked on the other side of the sand...and was nice enough to let us up on the roof top to take care of our mission!!!

• caddman11's Profile Photo

Watch your stuff!

by caddman11 Written Nov 2, 2004

Don't leave anything lay on your towels and walk aways for even a minute. A couple about 20 yards away got up and walked down the beach. They were gone for about twenty minutes. They lost a beach bag with credit cards, digital camera, money and cell phone. Don't bring anything to the beach except your towel that you can't take with you.!

• Scandic's Profile Photo

Beware the sun!

by Scandic Written Jan 30, 2003

Hey, where's my baywatch?

ok, I'm sure that you have heard about wearing sun screen and about UV filters etc. But don't underestimate the sun in Miami, specially if you are near the sea. I don't usually burn in the sun and I can use sun screens under 10 protectors. But In Miami Beach I burnt first time in my life. And that really hurts.

• bloorange's Profile Photo

Cops on the beach!

by bloorange Written Aug 12, 2003

Well this is unfortunate but it does happen (3 times in the last years...) But our cops like to drive their SUV on the beach and unfortunately it happens that they drive over people trying to get some sun... If you don't wanna be the next victim, make sure you find a spot with many people around! In the meantime, they are still authorized to drive their trucks there...

• School Holidays

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Beware of the beachfront hanging ham!

by Shaft28 Written May 27, 2003

hey doc, I have a crack in my behind!

Be warned, besides large, topless, old German women - you may just find the rare butt cheek sneak going on.
    We were given this drive by mooning much to the giver's ignorance. I'm sure he was advertising for something, must have been ham.

• mannymiami's Profile Photo

The Miami sun is very strong...

by mannymiami Written Aug 25, 2002

The Miami sun is very strong and intense. Make sure to have a good sun protector or else you will fry and have a lousy vacation. This picture was shot at 10:00am and the UV index was at 10 which is very high and bright.

• Deus_ultima's Profile Photo

Jellyfish!!

by Deus_ultima Updated Jan 28, 2003

keeping a lookout...

The sea may look beautifull..but it hides bad creatures! Like Jellyfish!!
    Even gulls wouldn't aproach them.. just be carefull..

Ask your travel agent for the season.

Instant Answers: Miami Beach

Comments

Other Warnings and Dangers in Miami Beach