The Sugden Community Theatre: Live Theater
On a sunny Sunday afternnon, Allan and I were walking along 5th Avenue South in Naples when I spied the Sugden Community Theatre/The Naples Players. I was attracted to the very modern architecture. We walked up to investigate.
We discovered That there were two stages:
1. The Tobye Studio, a 99-seat black box theatre. The productions here sometimes include adult subject matter and language so it is not always appropriate to bring children. The 2008/2009 Season includes:
The Women of Lockerbie
The Heidi Chronicles
Dinner With Friends
There were no productions when we were there.
2. Blackburn Hall, the main stage [362-seat mainstage proscenium theatre.
For the 2008/2009 season, there are five productions:
The Goodbye Girl
The Musical Comedy Murders--of 1940
The Moon Over the Brewery
The Sugar Bean Sisters
While we were there, "The Moon Over the Brewery was playing. It was a great play about a 13-year-old girl who was trying to ruin her mom's chances for romance. Her waitress mom was a painter of moonscapes by night. I found the girl's imaginary friend quite hysterical. It was funny yet tourching.
Dress Code: Dress Casual would be my description of the dress code. I wore slacks and a somewhat dressy top; Allan wore slacks and a short-sleeved shirt.Related to:
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
- Theater Travel
Regal Hollywood 20 Movie Theater: Frequently Visited the Movies
Allan and I love going to the movies, and while we are back in Libertyville, we try to go each Wednesday and Friday, which are senior days where we have to pay only $4.00 each. So, when we went to Naples, Florida, and started going to the movies, we were shocked that the senior price here is $7.00!!
Even though it was not close to our condo, we chose to go to Regal Hollywood 20 Movie Theater because of the number of movies available, the cleanliness of the theaters, the location near restaurants, stores, and the library, which we frequented.
This is a very popular movie theater; on the days that new movies come [Fridays], the lines are literally "a mile long'. To combat that inconvenience, we would buy them early for a later movie.
Dress Code: Casual is the dress code, and since it is "summer" in January in Naples, people wore shorts.
While we were there, we saw 8 different movies. Of the 8, we loved them all except one.
The one that we hated was "Rachel Getting Married"
The ones that we loved were:
Interestingly, Three of those are up for an Academy Award, and five people from those movies are also up for Academy Award.Related to:
- Arts and Culture
mc cabe's irish pub & grill: irish pub
mc cabe's is a very nice replica irish pub on 5th ave in downtown naples. good food and good beer selection.
Dress Code: casual.Related to:
- National/State Park
- Business Travel
Valet parking is $25 daily and required. Wait times can be upwards of 30 minutes. We had to wait...more
Cove Inn is a condominium that rents out rooms when the owner isn't there, so the rooms are all...more
My search for a room in February, 2001 gave me a price of $305.00 per night Great location on the...more
Latest Naples Hotel Reviews
- Naples Grande Beach Resort
- Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Club
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
- Hilton Naples And Towers
- 1 Review
- Cove Inn
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
- La Playa Beach & Golf Resort
- 1 Review
- Trianon Old Naples
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
- Fairfield Inn and Suites Naples Downtown
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
- Great room rates
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Explore the World
- Banff Hotels
- Mohican State Park Hotels
- Vernazza Hotels
- Kinzua Bridge State Park Hotels