Driving, Orlando

Know about this? Rate It!

Volusia County
    by Marinel
  • Driving
    by Randall_Burt
  • Local advice from a local

by raveylin Written Aug 25, 2009

Favorite thing: Some things I've noticed that need to be commented on:

1. Do not be surprised if you're driving along at the speed limit and someone blows past you going 10-15 mph faster. It's customary for locals to drive that fast on pretty much every road. If you're on the freeways, do not drive in the left lane and go the speed limit, you will provoke the ire of everyone behind you.

2. If you're going to valet your car at one of the attractions, malls, etc. tip the valet. That $5-10 parking fee is company expenses/profit. Valets are paid a low hourly wage and they survive mostly on tips. Definitely tip up front, they are full of advice, knowledge, and will answer any questions you have if you treat them decently. Fail to tip them or be rude and the service level drops abruptly.

3. If you're eating at a restaurant, anything less than a 20% for good service is considered cheap.

4. Women wear bras here. Consider it "Do as the Romans do".

5. Greet anyone in the service industry in English first, and then ask if they speak another language. Automatically assuming that everyone speaks your language will anger them and they might not try to help you after that.

• Marinel's Profile Photo

Watching a sunset from the east west Exp Way

by Marinel Updated Jun 25, 2005

Volusia County

Favorite thing: I think the best things in life are for free and sight seeing around the river banks, beaches and springs are a must do when visiting Florida.

Fondest memory: On my way to my parent's house who live in Volusia County I could't help but to feel hypnotized by the beautiful sunset and the flock of birds that seem to adorn the skies. It was like watching moder nature blush in front of my eyes. I get a sence of calmness when gazing at such beauty and I feel like I am part of something bigger perhaps a piece in an infinite puzzle.

• Photography

• Scotsgal's Profile Photo

Distances to parks

by Scotsgal Written Jun 14, 2003

Favorite thing: Orlando is 4 miles (6km) from Universal Studios; 10 miles (16km) from Sea World; and 20 miles (32km) from Walt Disney World, all located southwest of downtown along International Drive (I-Drive) in an area appropriately known as the Tourist Quarter.

• toontraveller's Profile Photo

Go Topless

by toontraveller Written Mar 23, 2003

Favorite thing: I hired two cars whilst in the USA, both of them Mustangs. They are fine cars and well worth the extra. This was my first one.

If it's your first time here they make you feel at home on the road and are especially comfortable if you have to make a long journey like my epic 8 hour trek to Miami.

By the way I got a free upgrade from a compact. Not bad eh!

Fondest memory: One thing I'll never forget is the shuttle launch from Kennedy Space Centre. You'll never see it on TV like the real thing.

• Theme Park Trips

• Randall_Burt's Profile Photo

My first trip to Florida was a...

by Randall_Burt Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: My first trip to Florida was a Just decide and go. Leaving in alot of snow we decided to change the snow tires and put regular tires on the car either in The Carolinas or Georgia. When ya leave in a snow storm as soon as you get to great weather you gota wash the Car. I laughed at the new Cars being shipped to The South. They always say they havent seen salt but they are plastered with salt on their way to their final destination.

Instant Answers: Orlando