Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom, Orlando

• Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom
  • Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom - Camp Minnie-Mickey

Lion King

This themed area is where we headed to see the live- show Lion King . It is a short Broadway Type production with lots of music , lights and activity. The only negative I have is the sound was quite loud for young ears. We got around it by covering the baby's ears with our hands. Other than that though it was a fabulous 30 minute show.

• Music
    • Theater Travel

Animal Kingdom- Harambe Africa

Harambe

This was a very authentic looking African Village, complete with booking offices and supply stores. It was in fact a good spot to grab an outside table and have our picnic lunch which we brought with us!! There are restaurants here if you want to grab and snack and of course there are shops.

• Seniors

Disney's Animal Kingdom - Pangani Forest

Silver back Gorilla

This was a twenty minute walk ( not counting photo stops) through the the African valley. We were amazed to see several Silver back gorilla ,so up close. They were the stars of the walk for sure but we also had a good look at the hippos and a variety of birds and fish.There are guides posted along the walk to answer questions which was great , and they also have a bird field guide that you can take with you. We eventually ended up in a research center where there was an underwater hippo viewing area.

Unlike the "safari " you have a great chance to take pictures here.

• Birdwatching

Animal Kingdom-Kilimanjaro Safaris

Boarding our

With our 6 month old baby granddaughter in tow we boarded the open safari jeep ride through Disney's Wild savanna of East Africa. The ride was bumpy but fine for all. We saw many African Animals including the some of big "five" The male lion looked a little bored with us , as he rested in the shade , although the female seemed to be posing high on a hill .It was quite amazing really to have a chance to see the giraffe , hippos , monkeys and more in a seemingly "natural " environment. The animals roamed freely over the many acreas of savannas, wet lands and rocky terrain.
    The whole journey took about 20 minutes so you had to be fast with your camera, to get any decent pictures. There is commentary during the whole ride which added to the excitement and identified the animals.

We bought a one park ticket at the gate - $74.00 for an adult

Disney's Animal Kingdom - Africa

by easterntrekker Written Apr 2, 2009

Animal Kingdom is divided to 7 areas each with its own attractions, restaurants and shops . We started our adventure in Africa . It seemedd fitting since we are going to Kenya and Tanzania later this year and we thought it ould be a good preview .Ha!!
    This area was my favorite since it is where you can see all the animals!! It is an easy area to make your way around , with everything well marked.

• Seniors

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Disney's Hollywood Studios

by cjg1 Updated Mar 5, 2009

Aerosmith Coaster

Hollywood Studios has the theme of Hollywood Movies and the Glamour of Hollywood from the past. The Park has a variety of live action shows, rides, shops and restuarants. The focal point of the park is the Giant Sorcerer Mickey Hat that is over 100 feet tall. The park is divided into: Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd., Street of America,Animation Courtyard and Echo Lake. Throughout the park you can find performers and characters entertaining and taking pictures with guests.

Hollywood studios has some nice attractions: Star Wars, Muppet 3D, Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster, The Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Lights Motors Action Stunt Show and the back lot tour. I'm not a fan of rollercoasters or heights so the Tower of Terror was not for me. Considering the few rides we wanted to enjoy, it was very easy for us to spend the morning in the park and then on to another adventure in the afternoon.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Animal Kingdom

by cjg1 Updated Feb 19, 2009

Tree of Life

Animal Kingdom is the newest park in the Walt Disney World collection. Animal Kingdom is definitely a park for all ages. The park is broken into sections: Asia, Africa, Dinoland, Camp Minney-Mickey and Discovery Island. There are some nice animal attractions and rides. We first visited Animal Kingdom on a very hot day and fortunately it was not crowded at all.

One of my favorite things was the Tree of Life. You can't miss it; the tree is 145 feet tal and covered with over fifty animal carvings. It really is amazing. The base of the tree has a theatre for a kids show called: It's Tough to be a Bug". Liz has sat through it before and thought I wouldn't enjoy it.

The Kilamanjaro Safari was a nice way to see the park animals via a jeep ride. We saw some rhinos, warthogs, lions, gazelles and a hippo. I was warned that the safari has a cheesy element: the radio of the jeep anounced that there are poachers in the park. The jeep driver then spees to see if we can catch the poachers. We arrive to see the poachers are caught and the animals are safe on the reserve. It made for some fun for the kids on the tour who looked really excited at the show.

The Kali Water Rapids were so much fun. I was warned ahead of time by Liz (who had ridden the ride many time before) that we need to wear rain ponchos and wear flip flops because thiis ride will soak you. The lline was relatively short and our wait went by very quickly. We were qued through various rooms that had colorful and interesting Asia artifacts, statues and costumes. When we were able to see the boats we geared up in our rain ponchos. We hopped into a large round inner tube looking boat with ten other people. The rise was so much fun with waterfalls, dips, spins and tons of water. We made it off the ride with some wet legs but some of our fellow riders were soaked to the skin.

Expedition Everest was an incredible ride. We boarded the "steam train" and rode through the forest, mountains and stops at a chunk of twisted metal. After many twists turns and steep drp you manage to escape the Yeti. It's a fast paced and fun ride...but don't eat before going on this adventure.

Animal Kingdom if uncrowded can definitely be done in a half day as we did.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Disney's Animal Kingdom

by mikelisaanna Updated Nov 16, 2008

Elephants in the Kilimanjaro Safari

Disney's Animal Kingdom is a huge animal-themed theme park located in the Walt Disney World complex outside of Orlando. The park is divided into a number of sections with different themes, the largest of which are Africa and Asia. These areas branch out from the park's central section, the Discovery Island, which features the Tree of Life, a large, whimsical baobab tree that is one of the park's two best-known icons (the other being Mount Everest in the Asia section).

The Africa section of the park is the largest. Its primary attraction is the Kilimanjaro Safari, a safari ride through a very natural-looking rendering of the African landscape. Animals that you can see on the Kilimanjaro Safari include lions, elephants, okapi, giraffes, rhinos, and wildebeests. In addition, there is a smaller walk-through animal area with gorillas and hippos.

The Asia section has the park's two best rides, Expedition Everest and the Kali River Rapids. Expedition Everest is a roller coaster that winds around and through a man-made mountain, while the Kali River Rapids is a water coaster. The other must-see feature in Asia is the Maharajah Jungle Trek, in which you walk through a well-crafted palace ruin filled with tigers and other animals (tapirs, monitor lizards, etc.).

Other theme sections of Disney's Animal Kingdom include Dinoland (dinosaur theme), Camp Minnie-Mickey (where kids can meet Disney characters), and Rafiki's Planet Watch (small animals).

Disney's Animal Kingdom is a large park and you should expect to do a lot of walking. It will take you most of the day to see all of its major attractions. If you get tired of rides and animals, there are several shows that you can see, including a Lion King show and a show about bugs based on the Bug's Life movie. There are also numerous restaurants spread around the park. Our favorite was the Flame Tree Barbecue, a fast food joint with a pleasant outdoor seating area on Discovery Island.

• Zoo

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

AFRICAN SAFARI

by moiraistyx Written Sep 24, 2008

girraffe

I would like to say that I really loved this attraction, but the truth is that I can't get those words out of my mouth in regards to the safari. We waited nearly an hour to take the tour through the lands of Africa only to find that the jeeps they loaded everyone into went so fast it was difficult to get a decent picture. I really liked all the different plants used to make this look authentic. My favorite were the trees that grow with their roots above the ground. They looked really spooky and dark. The lions were fast asleep when we were here but there were plenty of other animals to look at. Patrick loved the animals and each time he saw something kept jumping up to point it out to us. The driver truly got on my nerves. I think it was his thick accent and really lame attempt at entertaining the group on the jeep. Some of the animals you will see include, lions, elephants, monkeys, wildebeests, hippos and rhinos. If you luck out and get a driver that goes just a little bit slower than our driver you will get some good pictures as well.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

ANIMAL KINGDOM

by moiraistyx Written Sep 10, 2008

I was looking forward to visiting Animal Kingdom the most of all the parks, but alas, I was very disappointed with the park as a whole. First of all, this park was the most crowded of all the parks, it also had the longest lines, and the rides were the most boring of all the parks. I honestly was so excited to do the safari, but when we started out I soon learned that the driver was going so fast it was hard to get a good picture and the tour was so cheesy I couldn't stand it. The new roller coaster there, Expedition Everest was all right, but it really wasn't scary and if you're older than 10 it really isn't thrilling. Patrick loved it though. I think the best parts of this park was the animal exhibits at the beginning of the park and the performers in Africa.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom

by grandmaR Updated Aug 18, 2008

Giraffe stretching his neck

We took our oldest two children to Disneyland when we lived in Northern California (they were 2.5 and 4.5 then). In those days there was just Disneyland. WDW (aka Walt Disney World) didn't exist. Disney has certainly expanded since then.

In any case, if you are in Orlando for the first time, the Magic Kingdom is certainly an obligatory visit. I took my grandson early one morning.

I personally preferred Animal Kingdom. While I was OK with the Disney recreations in 1965, I was more interested in real animals than the Disney Mockups. So when we visited in 2000, I did the Safari Ride (photos 2, 3, and 4). We have not visited WDw since then although we have been in the Orlando area quite a few times.

For the rest of the WDW tips see Lake Buena Vista

Note: The last picture is one where I took the castle in the second photo and stretched it to be horizontal rather than vertical so I could paint it on a valence in my granddaughter's room

• Cielo_Algaeed's Profile Photo

Animal Kingdom

by Cielo_Algaeed Updated Aug 23, 2007

The tree of Life

Animal Kingdom focuses not only on rides and animal shows but also gives awareness on animal preservation, its welfare and conservation. The Tree of Life serves as the hub and meeting point and fromt here you'll find your way to the Oasis, DinoLand USA, Asia, Africa and Camp Minnie & Mickey.
    The whole park is covered with lush green trees, grass and plants which give you the feeling that you're inside the jungle.
    The African Safari is one of the major attractions here. Boarding a safari vehicle and travelling to the w ild and seeing the rhinocerous, ostrich, elephants etc is really a treat.
    They also have their Jammin parade in the afternoon (time permitted ~ check the brochure for schedule) wherein you will see Minnie and mickey in their safari costumes.

• Photography
    • Zoo

• Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom Lodge!!

by goofeee Updated Jun 2, 2007

This is the best themed family resort in the world (according to the travel channel). I've been there twice and it is truely the most amazing resort I have ever stayed at. It feels like you are in Africa from the moment you step into the grand lobby. The rooms are themed perfectly and you can experience a breathtaking savanna of animals right outside your lobby.

The restaurants, pools, and recreation are also top notch! If you are going to Disney World and are staying at a resort, this is the PLACE TO STAY! =)

I found some good pictures of the resort on this website: http://www.wdwtourguide.com/

• Photography
    • Spa and Resort

• Dundooni's Profile Photo

Animal Kingdom is Just Amazing

by Dundooni Written Apr 5, 2006

The Disney Animal Kingdom is a beautiful blend of Disney imagination and the beauty of nature. In addition to creative attractions, a great roller coaster called Mt. Everest, and photo ops with your favorite Disney characters, this park has an African Safari that is the home to so many gorgeous and intriguing animals. Lions, tigers, elk, zebras, elephants, warthogs, and more can be appreciated from an impressively close range.

• Safari

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Take A Safari

by VeronicaG Written Nov 9, 2005

A visit to Africa!

The African safari ride is by boat and you explore the depths of the jungle, weaving your way through the water as you encounter various animals. Realistic creatures make this ride exciting! Watch out for those elephants if you don't want to get wet--ha,ha! Keep your eyes on the hippos, too.

Instant Answers: Orlando