Airplanes, Orlando

Know about this? Rate It!

• Airplanes
    by DEBBBEDB
  • DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Orlando airport

by DEBBBEDB Written Jun 25, 2013

The airport is a central hub with two terminals (A and B). A tram takes you out to the area where the planes are boarded. Included in the price of the lodging (for some of the Disney hotels) is round trip transportation between the airport and your hotel. They will even pick your bags up for you at the claim. This means you check your luggage in at your home airport and do not see it again until you get to your hotel room. On the way back from the cruise, the cruise ship took our bags through to the airport and we did not have to see them again until we got to Houston. This is a service worth paying for.

waiting at the gate my grandmother's photo of me on the tram to gate I'm flying on the plane waiting for our luggage
    • Seniors

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Plane

by grandmaR Updated Jun 25, 2013

From Houston, the cheapest airfare was on AirTran. But my travel agent booked Disney transfers for me, and also I had a wheelchair at the airport. The wheelchair people work for the airport and not for the airlines. I also booked a Disney hotel the night before the cruise.

Included in the price of the lodging is round trip transportation between the airport and your hotel. They will even pick your bags up for you at the claim. This means you check your luggage in at your home airport and do not see it again until you get to your hotel room. On the way back from the cruise, the cruise ship took our bags through to the airport and we did not have to see them again until we got to Houston. This is a service worth paying for.

In 2000, our family group of 16 adults and 9 children mostly arrived in Orlando by car from the closer locations like Miami, Charleston and Key West. But some of us flew in from Baltimore, Detroit, and NJ. I flew to Miami and borrowed a car from my daughter and drove up to attend a meeting. It was cheaper to fly to Miami than it was to fly directly to Orlando.

My daughter, SIL and grandson flew from Baltimore. She got a real good price on the tickets and then discovered that they were leaving at 10 pm at night.

This meant that we had to go pick her and her family up at the airport. We did this to avoid the large taxi fares. There are two sections to the airport and we had to drive around a bit to find out where the plane would be coming in. The airport was pretty deserted at that hour.

[Her son who was about 2.5 said "plane going up, plane going up" as the plane took off, and then after it leveled off, said (quietly), "plane coming down? plane coming down?"]

People lined up to go through security from Hyatt grandson (and father) who asked Looking into the atrium airport from Hyatt coming into Orlando

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Rent a Car

by freddie18 Written Mar 10, 2013

Although public transport in Orlando is provided by the local transportation authority, I find it necessary to rent a car for the duration of your stay. It will also be comfortable if shopping is part of your itinerary. It will be easy for you to move between shopping malls, boutiques, as well as the flea markets.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

• cjg1's Profile Photo

American Airlines to Orlando

by cjg1 Written Feb 18, 2009

We've flown this route a couple of times now. It's a quick flight from New York to Orlando. We have always been treated well and have gotten some nice upgrades. The airport is well laid out and it was very easy to find our transportation and our luggage.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

ALWAYS FLY WHEN TRAVELING WITH 4 KIDS

by moiraistyx Written Sep 18, 2008

When Richie and I first started planning our trip to Disney, he had the bright idea that he was going to drive from New York to Disney with 4 children under the age of 10 in a minivan. I quickly squashed that idea and said, we're flying, I'll find some cheap tickets. Lucky for me I found some really cheap tickets flying out of a local small airport in Westchester County. This was the first flight for Richie's boys and frankly we were a little worried that they wouldn't want to fly back. Lucky for us they loved flying and on the return trip made sure that they all visited the airplane bathroom. Seems kids think the woosh of the airplane toilet is hysterical.

Sebastian and Patrick on the plane Hammy and Porkchop ennjoying games and drinks Rich sleeping on the plane

• gv_Orlando's Profile Photo

Orlando International Airport

by gv_Orlando Written Sep 27, 2007

If you have never been through Orlando International Airport, this blurb might interest you.

When you get off the plane and follow the signs toward Baggage Claim, you will board a monorail and take a short ride to the Main Terminal. Make sure you are standing steady and help your young ones stand steady as well, as it is a bit lurchy of a ride.

Once you exit the tram in the Main Terminal, you will enter into a large open lobby. On the walls are neat photo opp backgrounds advertising Walt Disney World. The major Orlando attractions have theme park gift shops in the lobby, and a food court is nearby. For the exact listing of restaurants visit the Orlando International Website. For currency exchange for international arrivals, you'll see the TravelEx currency exchange desk in the lobby.

The airport also houses one of the Hyatt hotels in town, so while walking through the lobby you'll be looking up at hotel room windows.

You'll be taking an escalator down to the Baggage Claim area. Once you have your mountain of luggage together off the baggage claim belts, you'll go down another level or two to go to the transportation area. Large elevators are available to take to the ground transportation area because I'm sure you'd be unhappy watching your mountain of luggage falling down the escalators to those levels. The ground transportation area is well marked, especially if you are taking Disney transportation. Happy travels.

• Cielo_Algaeed's Profile Photo

Continental Airlines

by Cielo_Algaeed Updated Aug 17, 2007

We flew via Continental Airlines for the first time during our recent trip to Orlando. Travel time was brief and ok. The only is that their aircraft is not well maintained. Sloggy seats and not so clean lavatory.
    The refreshment was not good either with their hard to chew sandwhich. Flight attendants were too old but nevertheless they rendered their utmosst service to the passengers.

• Sun Country Airlines

by DeeDeForio Written Jun 6, 2006

We flew from Minneapolis Lindbergh Airport to Orlando on a non-stop flight. At the Lindbergh Airport we found sculptures of Snoopy in the terminal near our gate. Kevin Rosso says that this terminal is more for vacationers to Florida and the Caribbean Islands than it is for business travelers. It was not as busy as the other terminal at the airport.

KR Taking Snoopy's Margarita
    • Zoo

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Flying in

by DUNK67 Updated Apr 11, 2005

We flew from Gatwick Airport into Orlando International Airport, the flight took approximately eight long mind numbing hours. Having said that though, the flight was made a lot easier to stand by Virgin Atlantics superb staff. On arrival we picked up our pre-booked hire car which didn`t take too long once we had filled some forms out, and drove to our house.

Taxis and Buses are available, some hotels offer free buses to some of the attractions. However a hire car is almost certainly a must to give you the freedom to come and go as you please.

• kop-queen's Profile Photo

Charter Aircraft

by kop-queen Written Mar 4, 2005

You might want to be a bit choosy about the airline you select when flying from the UK. It's a long long way.

It never seems as bad going but on our return flight last year it was very uncomfortable - bordering on downright painful.

In future I'm going to be a lot more selective about the seat pitch. It may cost a few pounds more but since you spend the best part of 2 days of your "holiday" on the plane you need to make it a serious consideration - unless you're all under 5 foot!

• sswagner's Profile Photo

Orlando International Airport

by sswagner Written Feb 26, 2005

For many children, the airplane is the first thrill ride that they will take on their way to this entertainment capital of the US. Sometimes, the trip here can be their first plane ride ever. Orlando is well served from the rest of the United States as well as several foreign destinations. The airport lies to the south of the city proper.

There are several ways to get from the airport to the parks. Many people rent cars. The advantage is that you can go wherever you like. The disadvantage is having to pay the highway tolls and the expense of parking at the theme parks.

There are also shuttle services to the parks/and or nearby hotels, which could save you money in the long run. Of course, the disadvantage is that you are confined to whichever park you are brought to.

Walt Disney World now offers a service to those who are staying on a Disney property. Included in the price of the lodging is round trip transportation between the airport and your hotel. They will even pick your bags up for you at the claim. This means you check your luggage in at your home airport and do not see it again until you get to your hotel room.

Taxis will be expensive due to tolls and distances. Therefore, they should probably be avoided here.

Orlando Airport

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Flying in

by fairy_dust Written Feb 25, 2005

To get to Orlando, we flew over. We had a stopover in Boston before arriving in Orlando.

Tip for those who have never been in big-city airports - The airport in Orlando is huge, and you might have to take a shuttle to get from one part to the other. I know now that this is normal, but remember that when my family and I went to Disney World, I was 10 years old and from a small city in Atlantic Canada. I was quite amazed!

• kbl's Profile Photo

Song Airlines

by kbl Updated Jan 21, 2005

We came with Delta from Brussels to JFK, where we had the pleasure to fly with Song Airlines to Orlando. We very much enjoyed the rich entertainment options on board of song and the atmosphere. The fact that the flaps where blocked and that we have been welcomed with firetrucks after an unusual landing was unplanned for ...

Just after departure in JFK, leaving for Orlando
    • Business Travel

• Orlando Airport: Just a Caution

by atifkazi Written Aug 12, 2004

There is hightend security at the airport at Orlando, what i know of, after the terrorist attack. I went with my family in April 2000, We are not coccession, we are from the South Asia. We were stopped once in security.
    Once on the first level, to check my mother's passport, they asked my mother a few questions, aswell as my father, Both parents hold British Passports.

Please dont be offended, they are just doing there job, so if you do get stopped, dont act suspicious or cause a "Scene", the people in the airport are very friendly, just comply with them and be friendly.
    If you dont feel what they are doing is right, you can always ask to see a security official or an Airport official.

• Orlando Airport Check-in

by Finnabair Written Mar 1, 2004

A helpful tip - when leaving Oralndo via the airport, make sure you plan a MINIMUM of 2 hours if you are checking luggage. Orlando does things a bit differently from some major airports in that once you check-in for your flight, you have to wait in a SECOND line to have your bags x-rayed and checked-in. And then you have a very long security line which oddly splits into four lines to check ID and then re-merges into one very disorganized line for the security scanner area.

Instant Answers: Orlando