Port Saint Lucie Travel Guide

by Bwana_Brown

Port Saint Lucie Things to Do

• maryellen50's Profile Photo

by maryellen50 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The unspoiled shoreline ecology at the St. Lucie nuclear power plant on Hutchinson Island provides an important sanctuary for nesting loggerhead sea turtles. Several species of endangered and threatened sea turtles follow ancient instinct and return to these beaches annually to lay their eggs. During the summer, FPL sponsors popular evening walks where visitors can view nesting activities. The company also conducts nesting surveys for the State of Florida, maintains one of the largest sea turtle databases in the world and conducts a variety of scientific studies.
    I always wonder- why can Florida have nuclear power plants with threatened/endangered species co-habitating and in other states (like Texas) that doesn't seem to exist???

Turtle Walks at St Lucie Nuclear Power Plant

• sunnyladee's Profile Photo

by sunnyladee Written Jun 2, 2007

We have great beaches here in South Florida. However, Port St. Lucie is a port city without a port. We are about 20 minutes from either Jensen Beach or Fort Pierce, both are really great for gathering shells, swimming and boating. The water is so warm and clear, really nice.

Some of the best things to do here are free. We have Jammin' Jensen one night a week, can't remember which night, and then the first Friday of each month is Friday Fest in Fort Pierce. Both of these are craft fair type things with live music, food and beer.

We have a fabulous fish that seems to be unique. It's called snook and is the best fish I've ever tasted. You can't buy it; you've got to catch it. So, before you come, check to see if it's snook season.

• Beaches
    • Fishing
    • Festivals

• Port Saint Lucie Hotels

11 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie

Port Saint Lucie Hotels

Port Saint Lucie Restaurants

by Bwana_Brown Written Nov 15, 2003

I had arranged with Syd to meet him at 7 AM for breakfast, as is his custom. Instead of the usual fare at the complex, at Syd's suggestion, we took off just down the street for a Dennys restaurant diagonally across the highway from the Holiday Inn. It was not too busy at that time of day and the service was quick!

Favorite Dish: With my late arrival in Orlando, lost luggage to sort out and then a 120-mile drive to the south, I was getting hungry by morning! Syd stayed with me blow for blow as we both had the 2-eggs, ham, toast, juice and coffee combo. He can still put it away - my treat!

Port Saint Lucie Nightlife

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 15, 2003

As I was entering Syd's apartment complex just before 7 AM, I came across this good-sized tree frog exploring the sliding front door area! He did not seem too perturbed by my presence so I left him in peace!

Trying to Break In

Port Saint Lucie Transportation

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 15, 2003

Since my business meeting was in Orlando, I rented a car from Hertz for a day to drive the 240-mile round trip south to Port Saint Lucie. A quick check with Yahoo! revealed a route down Interstate-95 that worked quite well. The traffic was not too bad on a Sunday night but there was nothing to see in the dark with occasional showers. The next morning, the car came in very handy as I took Syd around town to various stores to stock up on supplies! The drive back north at around lunch-time was much more enjoyable since I could finally see something of the countryside, which looked a lot better than Canada in November! The Toyota Corolla cost me US$70 including taxes and gas for one day, pick-up and delivery at Orlando International Airport.

2004 Toyota Corolla

Port Saint Lucie Shopping

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 15, 2003

After breakfast, I offered to take Syd to wherever he needed to go to pick up supplies or whatever. He was very thankful for the offer, because he has no transportation and his mobility is now very limited by his need of a walker that he pushes along in front. We were a bit early for the stores, but we made the rounds one-by-one (there are stores and malls everywhere!) until we had a good load!

What to buy: Staples in Staples, T-shirts and a dress-shirt in Wal-Mart (they are open early), toiletries in a Pharmacy and some ginger ale and Canadian Whiskey for those obligatory South African 'sundowners'! It took me a stop or two with Syd before it sunk in that you really have to pay attention to where the wheelchair access sidewalk entrances are and to park close to them. It was made more difficult by not having signage on the rental car that allowed me to park in the appropriate spaces. I was glad to be able to help him stock up and then have a short visit with him in his apartment before heading north to Orlando!

Instant Answers: Port Saint Lucie

Comments

Port Saint Lucie Travel Guide
Map of Port Saint Lucie