A1A Ale Works, Saint Augustine

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 8 Reviews

1 King Street 904 829 2977

• AveryK's Profile Photo

A1A Ale Works St Augustine: Maggots in the food!!!!

by AveryK Written Sep 10, 2012

9/8/12- This place ruined my brothers wedding reception. From the setup, to the food, the staff absolutely horrible. Served guests appetizers while people were sitting. There were live maggots in the bruschetta. it went around the room like wild fire, my brother was humiliated. After a long list of other mismanaged mistakes, and half the reception being embarrased their response was to comp the appetizers that were being thrown away and cover a bar tab (most of which was wine that we broought). No one there wanted anything to do with any of the food after the word got out and we were stuck there with 50+ guests. My mom was about in tears. After talking to the Chef (Scott King) he told us taking them to court will be more trouble then I think. Don't not eat or hold any event in this establishment. Thanks for your time, I have a list of sights i need to copy and paste this too. If you would like any other details please post a response with email info.

• Shihar's Profile Photo

A1A Ale Works: Nice outdoor seating view

by Shihar Updated Apr 4, 2011

We ate here once last year ... and as I recall there was not a whole lot for vegetarians. I think I ate a grilled portabello sandwich.

Husband ate: crabcakes and fried calamari which he enjoyed.

Outdoor seating and fresh brewed ales and lagers.

Favorite Dish: I took a liking to the beer flight sampler - I think it was called "Around the World"

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

A1A Ale Works - Historic St. Augustine

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jul 5, 2010

A1A Ale Works was one of our first stops in St. Augustine during my second visit to this fine historic town. This pub and restaurant occupies a prime waterfront location right next to the Bridge of Lions and the old town square. The downstairs has huge plate glass windows, letting lots of natural light shine upon the big bar and handful of tables.

We arrived in the mid afternoon and were able to find two seats at the bar. We started with a draft IPA ($3.29) and King Street Light Lager ($2.83), then ordered the ragtime shrimp appetizer. The IPA was hoppy and flavorful, but the lager was way too light for my taste. The Ragtime shrimp, named after one of the other restaurants in the chain, were fried with coconut and served with a very tasty honey mustard sauce ($10). Our second round of beer brought us the Red Brick Ale and the Bridge of Lions Brown Ale, both of which I really enjoyed ($2.83 each).

A1A Ale Works is now owned by the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group.

• A1A Brewery: An eclectic and diverse menu!

by wanderer99 Updated Jun 28, 2009

The downstairs is a pub/brewery with an excellent choice of beers on tap that are brewed on site. They also have seasonal specials. Light to dark, hoppy to chocolaty. Menu is quite diverse for a pub menu from lobster bites(appetizer), to Ale & Cheese soup to fresh seafood.
    The actual bar is covered in copper with on old town vibe to it. Upstairs, the dining is more upscale. but still friendly and relaxed. The Bisto Fillet and crab-stuffed shrimp is to die for.

Pricing for the pub ranges from $5.00 to $15.00, upstairs can be more, but the menu is alot more about actual dinners. Seafood, beef, pork, etc.

Favorite Dish: The Bisto Fillet and crab stuffed shrimp from upstairs is awesome. Extremely tender beef, and the shrimp are large, juicy and cooked to perfection. Downstairs the ale soup and the lobster bites are fantastic and go great with dark beer!

• sweetchica323's Profile Photo

A1A Ale Works: A1A ale works over priced

by sweetchica323 Written Jul 30, 2007

When you walkin the bar is kinda scary, the place seems cramped until you get to your table, which is upstairs and bayfront with a great view! but the drinks and food is overpriced and under portioned. Plus the food is changed seasonal.. last time we were there everything had goat cheese...yuck

Favorite Dish: Shrimp schewers

• rafgys's Profile Photo

A1A Ale Works: Nice place...

by rafgys Written Jul 16, 2006

It's a very nice place where you can have their home made beer. They have about five or six different styles... which none of them is great, but I loved the idea of having a beer made across the windows (if you are sitting in the bar, you can see the big stainless tanks in the next room).

Favorite Dish: I only wnet there twice... the first time I had some pitta bread with hummus. I loved it!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

A1A Ale Works: Brewery

by grandmaR Updated Dec 10, 2005

Bar

We had lunch here twice and I really like it. There is an upstairs, but we ate downstairs. It has a lot of atmosphere. I had a black cow (they make their own root beer and also brew their own beer) and a cheese soup with vegetables to dip in it.

We also ate dinner here on our last trip through by boat. It was a Friday night, and there was too long a line upstairs in the restaurant for us to want to wait. So we ate dinner downstairs. It is the same menu. You just seat yourself. Bob had a pineapple chicken dish (pictured)

Last winter, we drove up to St. Augustine, and met folks here for dinner. At about 5:45, we walked up the street to the A1A Ale House, and sat down. Norm came in a bit after 6, and he went up to get a beer at the bar and brought Scottie (an old bearded guy who is living on his sailboat and apparently doing work for different people to earn a living) along with him. Jan came a bit later.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the cheese soup with vegetables, Bob ordered a chicken salad and Norm and Jan had naked wings with some dipping sauce. Bob paid the check for us all which even with 3 beers, and some wine for Jan was under $40 before the tip.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

A1A Aleworks.: A1A Aleworks.

by richiecdisc Written Aug 24, 2002

A rare gem of a brewpub that manages to be a local hangout type of bar as well as a tourist attraction cum brewpub.

Favorite Dish: Beer cheese soup and crab artichoke dip.

Instant Answers: Saint Augustine

Comments

Hotels Near A1A Ale Works
227 Opinions