Places to eat in Saint Augustine

by Happpy_Camper16

Most Viewed Restaurants in Saint Augustine

• Old City Inn Restaurant: Art+Cuisine

by shalin Written Mar 6, 2014

Such a deceptive name for a secret gem! We loved every moment of our meal at this place. Located off Cordova street, the place is unassuming but packed! Even at 930pm, it was bustling! The service, wine, and whole roasted garlic with bread was delightful. Mu hubby's roasted vegetable lasagna was perfect:) and beautiful to look at. My own arugula with serrano was aged and tasty, though a larger portion than I could handle:) Super spot and amazingly well-priced.

• Wine Tasting

Cruisers Grill: Great burgers at an affordable price

by SkipG Written Nov 13, 2013

This is the ultimate in casual dining, with most of their seating outdoors. They have fans for the hot times, and heaters for the cool times, though, so you probably will find it comfortable regardless of any weather where you'd want to be out walking anyway.

I say that because it's on the walking-only street in St. Augustine, along with dozens of other places of enticement. We were attracted particularly because of their very affordable menu and casual ambiance.

You can get beer on draft or bottled, and the usual soft drinks there, too. They, also, are economically priced. If you're an ice cream fan, they also have milkshakes from Haagen-Dazs ice cream.

We've had different servers on each of our visits; all were very attentive, pleasant, and effective. They earned our top tip rate of 25% on each visit.

For those who may think that excessive, our total, with the above discounts, including tip, has been about $25. I think that's a pretty good restaurant experience for dinner and drinks for two. And, in the end, the difference between, say, 15% and 25%, is a couple of bucks. If a couple of bucks is a problem for you, you shouldn't be eating out, in my humble opinion, and servers literally depend on your tips, because virtually all of their tiny salary is withheld from their check by the IRS against presumed tips...

St. Augustine is a great walking town, and has several different tour bus-type trips which makes moving from one attraction to another easy, all for about $20 per person adult. Being the oldest city in the US makes for abundant history lessons for those so interested.

Favorite Dish: Lydia has had their meat salad a couple of times, but also enjoys my favorite, their half-pound burger. It comes with all the usual trimmings, but without the burden, if you're on a lighter diet, or just don't want any, side dishes.

At that, their burgers are less than $7, including a couple of cheeses and all the usual garnishmnents. If you WANT fries with that, pay the extra and get a SMALL (which is actually enormous) basket of fries. The large basket will easily satisfy 4 of the normal appetites for a side dish, if you have that many in your party

• National/State Park

• SkipG's Profile Photo

Pizzalley, also known as Chianti.: Awesome happy hour and even better on Wednesdays!

by SkipG Updated Nov 13, 2013

Pizzalley, and Chianti, share the same pizza kitchen. One is a restaurant, and the other is more of a walk-up, carry-with-you while you enjoy the St. Augustine experience.

Happy hour is the common twofer (buy one, get one free alcoholic drink) but it comes with a bonus of a pizza slice.

However, on Wednesdays, they go one better. Either you can have a half-price bottle of wine, or, with your twofer and slice, a $5 coupon off your dinner. Thus, if you order the $6 house wine, you get two glasses of wine, a slice of pizza, and an effective cost (assuming you'd otherwise have eaten dinner there) of $1!

Their shill stands out front and hands out (well, forks out) small pieces of double cheese pizza, which in themselves, are an excellent treat while walking the foot-only street. We happened upon the Wednesday deal on our first visit, and it's been a regular experience while we're "stuck" here (we live on a boat and are here for repairs, which, due to parts ordering, has taken several weeks).

We've had several different dining experiences (all in the back room where it's full service), and were very well pleased every time. The cost was inexpensive, the food was delicious, and it's hard to beat two glasses of wine and a slice for a buck as an appetizer!

For those who may think that excessive, our total, with the above discounts, including tip, has been about $26. I think that's a pretty good restaurant experience for dinner and drinks for two. And, in the end, the difference between, say, 15% and 25%, is a couple of bucks. If a couple of bucks is a problem for you, you shouldn't be eating out, in my humble opinion, and servers literally depend on your tips, because virtually all of their tiny salary is withheld from their check by the IRS against presumed tips...

Favorite Dish: Because it's been so good each time, we've gotten pizza, each time. Lydia's has been the veggie supreme, and mine was the "garbage" pizza - every kind of meat and some veggies thrown in.

A "small" - particularly after the free slice - pizza is about 10" but very adequate, even for my "substantial" appetite, as it's robust in terms of depth of content. That it's mouthwateringly delicious ((I'm having to suck up the drool as I type) is a bonus.

The pricing below reflects the small pizza, and includes drinks (essentially covered by the Wednesday $5 coupon, so you have to add $5 to the price on other days), but their other offerings are similarly affordable.

• Architecture

• SkipG's Profile Photo

Carmelo's Pizzeria: Too much food for an affordable price!

by SkipG Written Nov 13, 2013

This is a three-huge-screened TV enhanced bar with tables both inside and out. It adjoins a gas station and marketplace of the same name other than "marketplace" versus "pizzeria."

The TVs are on silent mode, so the ambiance is not noisy. From our visits so far, this is both an adult and family restaurant.

We both ordered small pizzas (12") on our first visit, and were challenged to finish them, they were so large. Accordingly, on our next two visits, we ordered the "medium" which is 16", and split it. Because of the math, it works out similarly to as though we'd had 3/4 of a small pizza each, which was ample even for our normally large appetites, but not 1.5 times the price of the small.

This is also a specialty beer bar, and has a wide selection. You can get 8, 12, 16 and 24 ounce servings, the 12 and up coming in iced mugs, along with a fair selection of wines. They also, as a product of being attached to the marketplace (as part of the gas station), have both Coca Cola and Pepsi products available for non-alcoholic beverages.

As I really very much prefer Coke to Pepsi, I was appreciative of our server's trotting over to the marketplace to - depending on the server - refill my coke, or to bring me a pitcher. Of course, in the fashion of fountain drinks, my thirsty gulping of what must have been well over a quart all came for the single-drink price.

For those who may think that excessive, our total, with the above discounts, including tip, has been about $30. I think that's a pretty good restaurant experience for dinner and drinks for two. And, in the end, the difference between, say, 15% and 25%, is a couple of bucks. If a couple of bucks is a problem for you, you shouldn't be eating out, in my humble opinion, and servers literally depend on your tips, because virtually all of their tiny salary is withheld from their check by the IRS against presumed tips...

Favorite Dish: We've been torn, each time we've been there, because it all looks so good, both on the menu and as it passes us to go to other diners. In fact, one experience resulted in our getting the garlic knots appetizer, not something we'd normally do.

On which subject, while they looked great, and were nice bread, with an accompanying marinara sauce, they were pedestrian at best, and not very garlic'y. On the other hand, we're folks who will order extra fresh garlic on our pizzas, so perhaps we should have asked for that on the knots.

That said, splitting a medium pizza (16") is ample food for two, for between $15 and $19, depending on the composition.

Our favorite dish(es), as I started to tell you before I got sidetracked with all the other goodies which we expect would likely be just as good, are the veggie and meat supremes, split (half each way). We enhance those norms by (allowed at no cost) swapping out the Italian sausage on the Veggie for eggplant and adding (small cost) fresh garlic, mushrooms and extra cheese. At that, with those changes and additions, it's only $18.99, amply serving us both.

What has had us wavering is their calzones and strombolis, both of which are making me drool as I type this, their other hot sandwiches, and pasta dishes. However, we've always done the pizza, and have been well pleased. Note that the pricing below doesn't include drinks, as your preferences may vary. However, with a soft drink and 16oz beer, our last tab came to $26, which I think to be pretty affordable as a dinner for two in a casual restaurant.

• madmax79's Profile Photo

Aunt Kate's: The "other" Intracoastal dining

by madmax79 Updated Sep 5, 2013

Since Cap's is usually so busy, we tend to go to Aunt Kate's more often (especially for lunch by boat). The food is great and the service is good. You can sit inside for the air conditioning or outside for the view. The kids love to go down and play by the water while we sit on the deck and relax. There is also a rustic bait shop on the dock which adds to the Florida feel. Awesome Mojitos too!

Favorite Dish: The conch fritters, steamed oysters and low country boil but I love it all.

• The Bunnery Bakery & Cafe: Get there early for crossiants HOT from oven!

by Happpy_Camper16 Written Mar 2, 2012

We went to the Bunnery while walking down St. George street - the pasteries were outstanding! I purchase the BIGGEST blueberry muffin I've ever seen - it tasted great; and my husband tried a German Chocolate Brownie - so good that he wouldn't share more then a small bite with me.

Delightful Pastries!

Fat Jack's Smokestack Barbecue - Baldwin, FL

by Ewingjr98 Written Dec 28, 2011

Walk into Fat Jack's and you will know you are in Tim Tebow country. First you will see an upright alligator with a menu dressed in University of Florida blue and orange. Next notice the statue of Jesus on the window overlooking the kitchen and the diving room.

Fat Jack's gets great Yelp reviews, which is why we stopped in when driving from Charleston to Tampa, and we were very impressed with the tender meat, great sauces, and fast, friendly service. We stopped in for a quick bite to eat and enjoyed brisket sandwiches, sweet tea, fries and macaroni and cheese. The brisket was tender and delicious, the fries good, and the mac and cheese just OK. The three sauces were included sweet, ustard based, and hot, all of which were good. Their menu includes smoked fried bologna sandwiches, hamburgers, ribs, pork brisket and even homemade banana pudding.

Fat Jack's is a hike from St. Augustine, but it's worth a stop if you are venturing out of town. Located near the junction of I-10 and US 301 west of Jacksonville, Badwin is about 60 miles from St. Augustine, but just a half mile off I-20, 15 miles from I-295, and about 20 miles from I-95.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Local Heros: Great Place to Rest & Eat

by BruceDunning Written Jun 12, 2011

It looked like all the food was good, and basic lunch type fare. Prices are reasonable to $8-9 for most items. The best part; the beer was $2 a pint that day, so I had some

Favorite Dish: The Sheriff's sandwich with beef and bacon was very good.

EAting area with umbrellas Menu of items to purchase

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Meehan's on Matanzas: Good food, great experience

by Cristian_Uluru Updated Sep 17, 2010

Meehan's on Matanzas is a very good Irish Pub & Seafood House. Here you can eat great food in an amazing atmosphere and friendly staff.
    The pub is located on the waterfront in downtown St. Augustine, just 150 feet South of the famous Castillo de San Marcos. In Meehan's on Matanzas you can taste Irish dishes and local seafood ones.

Favorite Dish: I spent a wonderful evening in this pub with a very friendly staaff, great food and good price. Here you can taste Irish and local seafood dishes. I can suggest to start with the suop Irish Clam Chowder: the traditional soup of Ireland made with hearty Sweet Sea Clams, Potatoes, Carrots and Leeks in a thickened rich and creamy stock.
    As main dish I taste the local seafood favorites Mahi-Mahi: locally caught Mahi-Mahi Filet grilled, blackened or fried and served with Hand-Cut Chips and Tartar Sauce.
    It was a great experience.

Meehan's on Matanzas Mahi-Mahi Irish Clam Chowder
    • Beer Tasting

Cafe Cordova - Casa Monica Hotel

by Ewingjr98 Written Jul 5, 2010

Cafe Cordova, at the corner of the Casa Monica Hotel, offers views of City Hall, Flagler College, and the city plaza. We stopped in for a drink on a hot summer day. We limited ourselves to a Yuengling beer and a juice drink, together about $6. They also offer bagels, breakfast pastries, salads, soups, sandwiches, pizzas, wraps, frozen yogurt, and wine.

The cafe is bright and airy with about 8 or 10 small indoor tables and a handful of tables on the patio overlooking the sidewalk and one of the city's busiest intersections.

From their website: "For casual fare, experience the European sidewalk café ambience of Cafe Cordova, favored for its gourmet pizzas, tempting desserts, and Starbucks Coffees. Order your favorites to go and create a gourmet picnic at the beach."

The Casa Monica is one of just two large hotels in historic St. Augustine (the other is the Hilton next to the Castillo).

Casa Monica Casa Monica

The Tasting Room Tapas Restaurant - Historic St. A

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jul 4, 2010

We had a great dinner at the Tasting Room, St. Augustine's finest tapas bar. We ducked in one rainy evening and had good food, good service, and tasty drinks. Laura had a bellini with proseco for $8, and I had a Brazilian dark lager called a Xingu, which was similar to a German Kostritzer ($5). We quickly decided to try four different dishes, covering the gamut including poultry, lamb, pork, and empanadas.

Our first dish was the tasty lamb, called lomo on the menu ($6.50). Next we got our spinach empanadas, which arrived with two big, tasty pastries cut in half ($7). Our third dish was the chorizo sausage, which was disappointing... it tasted a bit like canned Vienna sausage and expensive at $11. Our meal concluded with the tender and tasty quail ($13).

This fine little restaurant is located on quaint Cuna street, just a half block or so off St. George Street. They not only offer the tapas dishes that we enjoyed, but also several more expensive entrees. They also serve numerous ingredients from local farms and bakeries. They also feature occasional live music, and they have outdoor dining.

• Michael_D's Profile Photo

New Century Buffet: BEST CHINESE IVE EVER EATEN

by Michael_D Updated Feb 2, 2010

Voted best buffet and second best Chinese restaurant in the area. It is easily the best Chines I have ever eaten(and Ive eaten ALOT of Chinese food!)

There were oysters on the half shell, steamed shrimp, fried shrimp, king crab legs, roast pork and other meats and Chinese specialties, as well as vegetables, a salad bar, desserts, soft ice cream. We were absolutely enamored with the little Butter Shrimp. I loved the vast array and yes, it was clean.

There is also Mongolian grill/Mongolian barbecue. All included at $6 for an all U can eat lunch.

Favorite Dish: BUTTER SHRIMP! Light, breaded and scrumptious!

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Cafe St George: Great Coffee and Healthy Sandwiches

by Basaic Written Apr 1, 2009

Nestled in amongst all the shops and souvenir stands along this portion of St George Street my sister and I found a little coffehouse/ice cream shop/cafe calles St George's. The decor was nothing fancy; but it had a kinda homey feel to it. They served breakfast lunch and dinner and the menu consisted of sandwiches and the soup of the day. You can build your own sandwich by selecting the meat, cheese, veggies, dressing, and bread, or order off the menu. Hours are 9 AM to 8 PM Sunday through Thursday and 9 AM to 10 PM Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: I had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with some organic chips on the side. Not bad!

Cafe St George

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

Pizzalley: Good pizza on St. George Street

by donpaul77 Updated Jan 13, 2009

Pizzalley is a pretty good pizza place located on St. George Street. The front room is a traditional looking pizza joint, with no table service, and you can walk all the way to the back for a full service restaurant. There is a nice porch out back which is a good spot to sit.

Favorite Dish: They have some nice gourmet pizzas. It's not the New York style pizza I prefer, but it's pretty good!

pizza at Pizzalley

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

Hurricane Grill and Wings: Yummy wings!

by donpaul77 Updated Jan 9, 2009

Hurricane Grill & Wings is the place to go if you've got a hankerin' for chicken wings. Located on A1A, St. Augustine beach, this airy place is decorated with corrugated tin, surfing photo murals, and staffed by pretty waitresses. There is outdoor seating for those balmy nights.

Favorite Dish: The wings come in a wide range of simple and gourmet flavors. You can mix sauces to create your own, and the staff can help you out with some of their favorite ideas. The only thing that bothered me was the heat rating. You have to get up to Category 5 before you find yourself challenged. They have some local-ish beers on tap, and available by the pitcher.

hurricane grill and wings

Penny Farthing Inn
Villas on the Bay
Latest: Jun 22, 2012

Instant Answers: Saint Augustine

Comments

Saint Augustine Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Saint Augustine locals.
Map of Saint Augustine