Raintree Restaurant & Steakhouse, Saint Augustine

102 San Marco Avenue ยท St. Augustine 904-829-5953

Raintree's gazebo
    Inside Raintree
    by Ewingjr98
    Raintree & Robert Mondavi Wines....?
  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Raintree Restaurant

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 15, 2009

Raintree

During our four-day trip from Pennsylvania to Tampa, Florida, Raintree was easily the best food and best service we enjoyed along the route. We were a little under-dressed for our visit, as we really didn't know what to expect, but the host graciously seated us in what was once the front porch of the old house the restaurant now occupies. Nearby were several other tables of diners, but it was definately not overcrowded.

We started with a few beers, the Harp Lager ($3.50) and Yuengling Lager ($3). Soon we ordered our appetizer, the ahi tuna carpaccio with hummus; this great dish included seared, thin sliced tuna served with olives, peppers, pita bread and hummus for $10. For my dinner, I had the catch of the day matanzas which is a great blackened fish with eggplant, feta cheese and tomato tapenade $22.

The food was great, but I was disappointed with the restaurant automatically charging all customers a 15% gratuity and a 17% Gratuity for separate checks. If they really want their servers to make more money no matter how good their service is, they could just pay them a higher hourly wage; they don't have to take my hard-earned money and give it to the servers. At the same time, I probably would have tipped 20%, but I decided if they demand 15% that's all they get!

The Raintree is located in a Victorian mansion built in 1879.

• Raintree Restaurant: Best Service in St. Augustine!

by TravelinPair Written Aug 7, 2008

We both thought this was the best service we've gotten at a restaurant in ages! Our waiter recommended the Blackened Filet Medallions Carpesse, and it was so good we had to share it! The Chocolate Mousse was worth the extra calories, too! The restaurant sent a car to pick us up at our B&B, but it was close enough to Old Town that we walked back after dinner (which gave us a chance to walk off the mousse). Oh! And the scallops on the half shell were a delight with a surprising twist to the taste.

The Filet Mignon Bearnaise was the only disappointment to the meal. The steak arrived without the bearnaise sauce, and even after our waiter got some for us, it just wasn't a really good steak.

Favorite Dish: The Blackened Filet Medallions Carpesse was truly different and left a wonderful taste on your taste buds.

• deaglos's Profile Photo

Raintree Restaurant & Steakhouse: Horrid pass it by

by deaglos Written Jan 3, 2008

Had a friend that swaw this place a few years back and always wanted to go, so I went while I was there as it is supposed to be highend good food.
    Was about the worst I have had in years, the service was horrid and very slow, the food was only barely warm, and for the high prices I did expect some flavor which was just not there.

Favorite Dish: Nothing we had here was good, we started with the stuffed mushrooms that were somewhat slimy and fairly cold, for which I was told i tend to be to critical, so i went on to the main meal.
    I had the peppersteak, and the cream brandy tasted and looked like it was boiled our something and tasted nothing but odd peppery taste from the horrid cream sauce.
    Better half had the lamb chops which she refused to describe outside of saying that her 4 bites were all she could chocke down and that even our mutt wouldnt eat anymore.
    Tip is automatically added to check even thou there was no real service, and for 110 dollars 20+ of which was tip I will only say never ever ever again.

• Raintree Restaurant & Steakhouse: Tips should be earned!

by jivane Written Aug 21, 2007

We went to what we thought was a 5 star upscale restaurant. The food was good , but the service was mediocre.

Then they bring your bill with the total in about 16pt font and the rest in 8pt so you don't pick up on the scam.

Oh, it's there alright, in the very fine print on the bottom of the menu hidden somewhere under the side dishes and salad dressing.

I know there are a lot of cheapskates out there who don't tip. However, this was not a Wendy's. If you're good, there is no reason to hide the tip in the bill.

By the way, don't expect any integrity from the waiters. Ours practically ran and hid after he pocketed a $32 tip on an $82 bill.

Yes, shame on me for not paying attention. I guess I'm accustomed to dining at respectable and reputable places.

Bottom line, do you want to eat at a place that has to hide the tip in the bill and then takes advantage of it when you don't notice?

Thank you for sending in your review. The community appreciates your feedback.

Instant Answers: Saint Augustine

Comments

Hotels Near Raintree Restaurant & Steakhouse
3.0 out of 5 stars