This building looks like it should be one of the historic buildings. And if you know the history of this church then you will see why it looks that way. The buildings were designed by Carrere and Hastings and erected by McGuire and McDonald, the same architects and contractors that planned and built the Flagler hotels and Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church. As to WHY...
The first church building for Grace United Methodist Church which was called Olivet Church was constructed on the corner of Tolomato (now known as Cordova St.) and King Streets in St. Augustine FL.
Mr. Flagler had started construction on the Ponce de Leon Hotel and envisioned a courtyard surrounded by three of his hotels. To accomplish that vision he needed the land where the Olivet Church stood. In 1886, he made a proposal to the trustees to donate the land on the corner of Carrera and Cordova streets and to build a church and parsonage on that site in exchange for the Olivet church land and building. The proposal was accepted and construction started in 1886.
So that's why it looks like a historic building.
Public tours are conducted mid-week through Saturday. The church is identified as station # 8 on the historic Saint Augustine tour
Henry Flagler basically paid for this wonderful church to be built. It was built in memory of his daughter, Jennie Louise Benedict.
Flagler, his wife, daughter and granddaughter are burid in a small mausoleum attached to the church.
St. Augustine is a riot of outrageous architecture. I'm not sure how one would lable the style (eclectic Floridian?) but the turn of the century buildings all seem to have brilliant colors (mostly shades of red), plenty of gables and gaudy ornamentation.
This photo shows Grace United Methodist Church which is a classic representation of the type of buildings that were built in St. Augustine around the year 1900. The spire is terracotta.
This building was used as a drug store from 1887 until the 1960's. It is now a museum with free admission.
First Catholic Church in the United States
An interesting complex. The cross here can be seen for a couple of miles. The first church as seen in the picture below is a very small chapel.
The Columbia restaraunt dates back to the turn of the century and got its start in Tampas Ybor City. It specialises in Spanish and Cuban dishes.