Sanford Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Sanford

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Florida style ranch house in the country

by Pawtuxet Written Jan 11, 2009

We first lived in a country house when we moved to Florida so many years ago. The homes are generally one story ranch styles houses with terrazo floors and jalousy windows. This house was on the St. John's canal and there were big snakes slithering through the weeds at the water's edge. I loved it out there amongst pines and palms, however. My children were very young... as was I... and it didn't matter how far we were from town. Just lazy sunshine every day.

• Architecture

Upscale marina

by Pawtuxet Written May 1, 2007

The marina has grown enormously since my last trip to Sanford. Obviously there is a lot more money coming into town nowadays. There is a restaurant which the public can enjoy at the marina. If nothing else, it's wonderful just to sit by the river and watch the boats come and go.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Sailing and Boating

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Is it a fish? or just a good cup o coffee???

by Pawtuxet Updated May 1, 2007

This was the street with all the fish stores selling the catch of the day...which was how all the poor black folk used to make a living years ago when we were in Sanford. I hadn't seen quite the same brand of poverty until I hit Sanford. It was pretty much segregated in a silent sort of way back then. The shacks out by the river were sadly separated from the rest of town. We lived way out off the main stream of things and so we often passed the pickers in the fields and the fishing for supper and the convicts in chain gangs along the roadside. That was the early 60's....and I was a northern girl of about 22 yrs. old.
    Today this old fish store has become an upscale coffee shop.
    Comment whichever way you choose on all of that.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Sanford

Comments

Sanford Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Sanford local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sanford sightseeing.