Know about this? Rate It!
Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge
The wildlife refuge is a protected area for snakes, alligators, bald eagles and falcons. Unfortunately, I didn't see any while there. I spent a bit of time wandering around the refuge and reading the exhibits at the visitor's center. There are a couple of trails in the area, including one which starts at the visitor's center and leads 4 miles to an estuary. But it was too hot to trudge 4 miles on a hot dirt path through an area which resembled the Everglades. At least I thought so.
There is an auto road which loops around 5 miles of the refuge and a tram tour which does as well. Spend some time on either and you'll have a better chance of spotting wildlife. Just make sure to bring water and mosquito repellant.
- Hiking and Walking
- Adventure Travel
J.N. 'DING' DARLING NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
Named for the editorial cartoonist and pioneer conservationist. There is a 5 mile paved loop which you can either drive or bicycle. Great for birders and nature enthusiasts. There are frequent sitings of gators which we did not see but did see many fish jumping out of the waters. If you visit, definitely bring binoculars.
See TRAVELOGUE for more photos.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Sanibel Island Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path