Ybor City, Tampa

by arasnosliw
  • cigar making

by arasnosliw Updated Jan 19, 2005

cutting some fat ones

Ybor City was once the main cigar producer of the Western Hemisphere. Times have changed since then, but cigar production is still kickin' in this historical part of the city of Tampa. I've visited several cigar shops, and I always come to the same consensus...they smell, they're ugly brown, and I don't want cancer. It's still entertaining to watch them roll the cigars and then cut them. The last time I went to Ybor, I entered the cigar shop next to Columbia Restaurant and was enticed by the free sangria they were distributing to store visitors. Sipping on my sangria, browsing the shop's gift collection, I overheard some not-so-nice comments being made about me because I was carrying around an atrociously large bag. Now do I appear as a thief to you? Obviously, I arose suspicions. And too bad for them, I know Spanish, so I could understand every word they were badmouthing me with. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

After walking thru the gift shop, smirking at my badmouthers, I entered the cigar-making section. This delectably aged man was in the process of cutting some cigars, so I happened to view this event. I don't know how long he's been doing this, but he seemed awfully bored and antisocial. I wonder if he's gotten to the point where he's oblivious to all his surroundings...

• Luxury Travel