Know about this?
Welcome to the lightning capital of the World!
Tampa is the lightning capital of the world, but there's not much to be afraid of. You are twice as likely to be struck by lightning as you are to be shot while attending school, so you're not bloody likely to be struck. However, there's some stuff you should know:
* If a rain storm with lightning comes, don't hide under a tree. The tree could be a conductor. Look for the lowest place or - better yet - go inside.
* Golf in the rain is a dumb idea.
* If you are traveling with animals and they are not used to the rain and lightning, make sure you have a comfort object for them to be next to from home.
Lightning is a big problem...
Lightning is a big problem right now as it is rainy season in Tampa. It is typical to get a thunderstorm everyday in the late afternoon in this season. Many people have been struck by lightning. 10 people were struck in the 2 weeks that I was there. If you are in the water, get out and if you are on the beach get into your car or go into a store or restaurant until the storm has passed (they usually last around 20 min to an hour). The beach is a really dangerous place for lightning because you are bound to be the tallest thing around!
Tampa Bay is considered the lightning capital of the world. Who knows if this is true, but don't stand under a tree when a storm is rolling in. Stay indoors. You have been warned.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Tampa Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Cloghan Hotels
- Parish of Saint Mary Hotels
- San Marcos Hotels
- Sant'Alessio Siculo Hotels
- Mount Faber Scenic Park
- Zamboanga City
- Underground Parking
- Palenque Warnings and Dangers
- Lome Warnings and Dangers
- County Kerry Warnings and Dangers
- Estado do Maranhão Warnings and Dangers
- Be Aware / Be Prepared
- Banff Warnings and Dangers
- Booze, alcohol
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Warnings and Dangers
- Lalibela Warnings and Dangers
- Kaunas Warnings and Dangers