Know about this?
Jellyfish can sometimes be found in Florida's waters. When Jellyfish are present, public beaches post warnings or if that fails they can often be spotted. When Jellyfish are present, stay out of the water and enjoy the beach instead.
While Florida Jellyfish normally aren't deadly their stings are quite painful, equivalent to a wasp sting. However I have accidentally swam swim into a long tentacle and received long red burning welts.
Jellyfish sting whenever it brushes against you so even the pieces of them washed up on the sand can sting.
If you are stung immediately remove the tentacle in a tweezer-like motion (pick it off) and then rinse with SEAWATER (NOT FRESHWATER). Do NOT rub the area - it will just release more poison into your skin!
As soon as you get stung wash, and don’t rub, with seawater. The longer you wait to get the stingers off (many of these are very small) the more toxins get into you so do quickly. Lifeguard stations normally have jellyfish treatment kits.
According to Dr Oz...the acid from Vinegar can also help stop the sting. If you are in a lot of pain urine (if acid enough) can also work...
Some recent studies show that traditional treatments for jellyfish stings such as putting urine, meat tenderizer, rubbing alcohol and baking soda on the sting don't really help make the sting better. I still like making a paste of baking soda and cold water though; the cool paste offers temporary relief.
Like bee stings, some people are allergic to jellyfish. If you have trouble breathing after a sting seek medical attention immediately.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Tampa Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Pavas Hotels
- Moody Beach Hotels
- Prampram Hotels
- Fort Myers Beach
- Isola Palmarola Hotels
- Vancouver Warnings and Dangers
- Aruba Warnings and Dangers
- Puerto Vallarta Warnings and Dangers
- Santa Monica Warnings and Dangers
- Not So Safe Areas
- Kiev Warnings and Dangers
- Krakow Warnings and Dangers
- Cape Verde Warnings and Dangers
- Cartagena Warnings and Dangers
- Newark Warnings and Dangers
- Positano Warnings and Dangers
- Petra Warnings and Dangers