Ybor City Nightlife

7th Avenue in Ybor
    by sarahjayn

Most Recent Nightlife in Ybor City

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo

The Masquerade: Man, it's so loud in here!

by sarahjayn Updated Apr 4, 2011

it's the big red building

This place, back in the day, used to be called The Rtiz, but that was long before my time - - the theatre has been around since the 1800s and it's kind of neat to think that it's still being used for entertainment purposes. Though, I doubt the annual Gwar show was around back then.
    It's a fairly decent place to see shows, though I've always found it a little claustrophobic. (I don't like being in elevators and the like, though.) I think it's because there's a narrow lobby and hall that lead into the place and then a bigger room for shows.
    Anyway, what I like about the Masquerade is that its always pretty cheap to get in, there's plenty of room once you're in the theatre to hop around like an idiot, and the people who work there are nice. An interesting number of people come to play there, but its mostly punk rock (yeah!), ska (yeah!), and metal (boo!).

Dress Code: There's totally no dress code here.

• doug48's Profile Photo

gaspar's grotto: rum bar

by doug48 Written Oct 21, 2007

gaspar's grotto

gaspar's grotto is one a many bars and night clubs on 7th ave. in ybor city. gaspar's is famous for it's rum selection. most of the night clubs on 7th ave/ cater to a young late night crowd while gaspar's gets a mixture of tourists and locals. a fun place to have a drink in ybor city.

Dress Code: casual

• Architecture

Flirt: My Favourite Politically Active GLBT Club

by sarahjayn Updated Jul 24, 2005

Lend me some sugar - I am your neighbor!

Normally, a place called 'Flirt' would totally make me wretch. I mean, usually that translates to snotty meat market. Not this place, though. It was more like parties at New College (my former school and the one *true* love of my life), where everyone was just dancing to have a good time. I mean, there were definitely some people there who were trying to be impressive, but I not necessarily in a gross way. It was more like how that kids who play double dutch would try to impress each other with really fancy double-dutching, only instead of jumping rope, they're shaking ass. Anwyay, I don't care what anyone says - ghetto dancing is fun!
    There's two layers to Flirt - the top floor seemed to play a little bit more top-40s music and the like, where as the bottom floor was more ghetto superstar.
    If you drink, try and get the boy bartender . . . everyone says the girl bartenders mix a really weak drink.
    Also, this place hates Rhonda Storms as much as I do and has formed a campaign to stop her. How many clubs do you know that do things like that?

Dress Code: There's no dress code at Flirt. I wore a strapless party dress and my converse. I saw people in jeans and t-shirts, people all swanked up, etc.

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo

The Castle: Oh, man! My vampire teeth keep coming out!

by sarahjayn Updated Jun 16, 2005

Who's that guy in the blue shirt?

The Castle is a mostly goth / punk / metal / industrial club in the middle of Ybor City. The cover is usually pretty cheap (free if you get their early enough), and the booze isn't that much, either.
    It's called The Castle because of the building's shape . . . like a castle. There's also this bar in a little annex away from the dance floor that has a moat in it - - like it's made out of river rocks and water trickles through it. I dunno why, but I've always found that kind of neat.
    The Castle is not my favorite place on earth to go, but it definitely provides some interesting people-watching.

Dress Code: I once saw a girl here wearing nothing but rainbow-coloured band-aids on her nipples and a tu-tu. Seriously, that was all she had on! Most girls here look like a cross between Punky Brewster and Bettie Page. (Who, oddly, I've met.) All the boys here seem to be vying to see who can look most like that dude from The Crow or Robert Smith from the Cure (either old school skinny or new school chunky). I always wear my normal person clothes, so I don't think there's a dress code.

La Setima Avenida: Walking About on 7th Avenue

by sarahjayn Updated Jun 1, 2005

7th Avenue in Ybor

If you are looking to just juice your liver, 7th Avenue is probably your best bet. There's lots of little bars for you to drink it up at. Be careful, though. They used to close traffic on 7th for the weekends, but not anymore. Also, the curbs in Ybor are like eight feet high, and I saw a drunk lady really clock her head on one during the Gasparilla Night Parade. Ah, lack of judgement . . . .

• heitzenrater's Profile Photo

cyote ugly: ybor is sweeeet

by heitzenrater Updated Dec 15, 2004

dance, dance, dance

so you have seen the movie coyte ugly, now experience it in person. yea it is just like the movie. here is a picture of a young lady (getting funky with it) on the bar. i thought bars are only for drinking, but i guess they are good for dancing on! walk the strip, you can't miss this place. don't be afraid to go other places also. it costed me like 5-10 dollars to get in, but girls are free. so saddle up and go get your "drink" on

IF YOU LIKE MY TIP, PLEASE GIVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK, THANKS

Instant Answers: Ybor City

Comments

Ybor City Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Ybor City nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ybor City sightseeing.