Athens Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Athens

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Harry's Barbeque: Harry's Barbeque

by butterflykizzez04 Written Aug 27, 2014

I wish I could say this was the BEST BBQ I have ever eaten in Athens, GA but I can say it's the ONLY BBQ I have ever eaten in Athens, GA...it just wasn't that great...it was UMmmmmm Okay!!! We were on a road trip from Savannah back to Nashville and starving to death...I put BBQ into my yelp.com app and this was the closest location to where we were at the time...so winner winner chicken dinner....but in this case BBQ Pork winner !!!

It was tender, but the sauces was just not the best..I tried several of them but again, not the best...they water their sauces down to make them stretch and save money I would assume. I would assume that is why anyone do that..I like my sauces thick...thick...thick and tasty...to me the finger licking part of the experience is what makes the BBQ delicious....but there was NONE of that with this BBQ....the sauce was too runny and drippy...just a big let down for me personally.

We also had the smoked hot wings, they were okay but a little dry for my taste so we dripped them in the watered down sauces...the sweet tea was good!! I will have say that was a big plus on a hot day..The beer selection was typical so at least Tony could get a Budweiser.
    I also ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes...now they were good..the tomatoes was a little SOUR to the taste but my husband swears that is "the way green tomatoes are suppose to taste"...now I have many a green tomato in my days and yes some are Sour but I have many that was NOT...but the breading was good..and the sauce for the Fried Green Tomatoes was okay but I would have preferred some plain Ranch over that sauce of BBQ rémoulade...it was sort of weird tasting to me but I would order the Fried Green Tomatoes again..I would just get Ranch on the side instead...
    We also ordered the PORK & SCALLION WONTONS
    Four hand-wrapped fried wonton rolls filled with scallions and our freshly ground sesame teriyaki pork, served with a sweet chili sauce..they were okay just a little dry...but I would order it again. I enjoyed the sweet dipping sauces sort of Asian style tasting...

If I was in Athens again..I would honestly Not eat here again..but that is because there are many places to choose from..we were just starving and had been on the road for awhile on our way home to Nashville, TN from Savannah, GA...but I don't say to you NOT to eat here..I say EAT HERE, write your review and let us know your experience..that is what is so Wonderful about Yelp...everyone sharing their opinions and experiences..

• Beer Tasting

237 Prince Woodfire Grille: A Well Kept Secret on Prince Avenue

by bulldoggirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Last night I had dinner at 237 Prince, which I'm ashamed to say was my first experience on Prince Avenue. Like most people in Athens, I'm drawn to the downtown scene when I go out to eat. Last night I ventured outside my comfort zone - and it was well worth it!

First I just have to say how amazing it is to go somewhere and NOT have to worry about parking! There's a parking lot in The Bottleworks so you don't have to worry about cruising up and down Broad and Clayton fighting for a spot.

Walking into the restaurant, you enter a lounge and bar area which is separate from the restaurant. There is also outside seating on the patio so you have several places to enjoy your meal or a drink. The ambiance is great, the restaurant isn't too big and the big woodfire grill next to the bar is really cool.

The food was amazing, I split a Milledge Pizza (how cute is that - they're each named after a street downtown) with a friend and we still had leftovers. It's not too pricey, and there's much more to choose from than just pizza. They had a great selection of salads, entrees, and pasta dishes. There are great drink specials every night - last night was ladies night, which meant $3 prosecco and $4 bellinis.

All in all, the food was great, the ambiance was great, and there's plenty of parking which is always a plus. I would absolutely recommend going to 237 Prince next time you're out to eat and plan to recruit all of my friends to go back with me.

• bulldoggirl's Profile Photo

The Globe: One of Esquire Magazine's "Best Bars in America"

by bulldoggirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Globe was named one of the "Best Bars in America" by Esquire (October 2007), and it's easy to see why. With 14 draught beers, 70 bottled beers, over 50 single malts, 35-40 wines, and a full bar, it would seem that the place doesn't even need a food menu - but it has a great one!

The atmosphere is very cozy, with exposed brick and sofas, rocking chairs, and spacious benches from which one can gaze out onto the streets of downtown Athens. Local art is also displayed throughout the bar, complemented by a black and white mural behind the bar which depicts the production of some of the world's best beverages.

The menu is simple and affordable, featuring mainly soups, salads, and sandwiches, but everything I've had has been great. The laid back vibe and good food complement eachother well, and I would definitely recommend grabbing lunch there if you have time.

The Globe

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

The Grit: Vegetarian Cafe with Beer

by bocmaxima Written Dec 20, 2010

I was led to The Grit by a friend and was glad that I had taken the advice. I am not a vegetarian, but I appreciate being able to eat vegetarian (and especially vegan) food when available.
    I came at the end of breakfast on a cold, rainy Saturday. It was close to 11, but they had yet to switch to their lunch menu, so I stuck with breakfast. They have a limited menu of small items plus several omelettes, as well as "specials" that, as I would see later, change quickly when the limited ingredients run out. I chose biscuits and gravy with the vegetarian sausage gravy and a side of cinammon toast.
    The atmosphere is very laid-back and cozy. It's in an old building where the walls have been stripped to expose the brick. There are two rooms, both filled with small tables. They have wifi (every place in Athens seems to), but this really isn't a coffee/come-to-study sort of place as it seems to stay relatively full.
    The biscuits and gravy came out relatively quickly. The biscuits were fantastic and made with whole wheat flour. The cinammon toast was also good, and wasn't overly buttery or sugary.
    My bill came out to about $5.50 with tax.

Favorite Dish: Dessert looked fantastic. Should have gone with that.

• Chaufita's Profile Photo

SunO Dessert: Great sweet after a meal!!!

by Chaufita Written Jun 9, 2010

This is a pretty cool place that sells "Asian shaved ice", shakes and sweet crepes with different kind of toppings... from fruits, nuts and syrups. The atmosphere is very confy and the people working there are super polite and always receiving you with a smile.
    Sometimes people confuse the shaved ice with a slushie, and it is so different... the texture and the flavour of the Shaved ice are a blast.
    The free Wi-Fi is a plus because I can sit down working in my stuff while enjoying my treat.

Favorite Dish: Personally I like the SunO Brownie Overload... it's so good!!!. (and they put extra syrup if you don't think you have enough).

• Business Travel

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Fresh Air BBQ: BBQ in Bogart

by dustmon Written Jun 8, 2010

I am listing this in Athens, but it is really in Bogart, just down Hiway 78 a mile from Athens, so really many Athens folk eat here. Just ate there today and had the pork plate, with a big pile of chopped pork with sauce, cole slaw, white bread, and their version of brunswick stew. The pork was great and the HOT sauce was made with alot of black pepper and was really good! The slaw was chopped a little more than I like but had a good flavor. The stew was a little strange looking, but again had a good flavor---everything was ground up, rather than little pieces of corn and chicken like I like it.....All for about $6. Inside and outside seating and a real good value. The staff was unsmiling the whole time we were there, but hey, we went for the food.

Favorite Dish: chopped pork with hot sauce

Fresh Air BBQ
    • School Holidays

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Stricklands: Best breakfast in Athens

by dustmon Written Jun 7, 2010

Stricklands is also open for lunch but I have only eaten breakfast there. The grits are amazingly creamy and good, the scrambled eggs with cheese, the biscuits, the streak-o-lean, almost everything is good here, and the coffee too! Although it is technically in Bogart, Athens is only a mile or 2 down the road.

Favorite Dish: breakfast

Strickland's
    • Seniors
    • School Holidays

• bulldoggirl's Profile Photo

Farm 255: Homegrown Ingredients, Great Meals!

by bulldoggirl Written Oct 23, 2008

Farm 255 opened in Summer 2005 by the Full Moon Cooperative Farm, with a goal of bringing the story of local sustainable farming to the table and connecting people to the source of their food. The atmosphere is really intimate - the kitchen is open to the dining room so you can pretty much see everything. Everything from the decor to the tables themselves seems very natural, and the lighting is very relaxing. I would certainly recommend going here - the food is amazing, and it's awesome to support local farmers!

bar at Farm 255 chef at Farm 255 kitchen at Farm 255

Last Resort Grill: My Favorite Restaurant in Athens

by bulldoggirl Written Oct 23, 2008

From the decor to the menu, everything about this place is unique. The food is described as "Noveau Southern cuisine," and as someone who has tried just about everything on the menu, I have yet to be disappointed. Not only is everything amazing, but everything is incredibly reasonably priced for what you're getting.

Dinner entrees range from about $10 - $25 if you splurge on a steak or scallops. Make sure you save room for desert and try one of the delicious layer cakes or cheesecakes, of which different flavors are featured every day. The lunch menu offers a great selection of salads, soups, sandwiches and entrees for between $6 and $8. Sunday brunch is my favorite meal there, with prices similar to the lunch menu and extremely unique breakfast creations. However, make sure you get there early - when the doors open at 11, there is already a wait for a table.

If you're looking for a great atmosphere and wonderfully prepared food without the pretentious prices that tend to go along with such a place, check out Last Resort next time you're in Athens.

Favorite Dish: On the dinner menu, the best dish is the Last Resort Praline. It's a chicken breast stuffed with a mix of cheese and topped with a sweet walnut honey sauce. Like most things on the menu, it's served with grilled vegetables and grits. The combination of different flavors in this dish is unique and amazing!

For brunch, my favorite is the Spinach Feta Grill. It's thick toast dipped in egg batter and grilled, topped with poached eggs, mushrooms, artichokes roasted red peppers, feta, and spinach. This is also a very unique dish you aren't likely to find anywhere else, and like the rest of the brunch menu it's relatively cheap ($6.75)!

• doug48's Profile Photo

the varsity: burgers

by doug48 Written Oct 4, 2008

the varsity is an athens institution. the original varsity opened in 1932 on college street across from the UGA campus. in 1963 the varsity moved to a larger location on west broad street. the varsity serves burgers, hotdogs, chili and fries. much better fare than the chain burger restaurants. the varsity also has a location near the georgia tech campus in atlanta.

the varsity
    • Business Travel
    • Architecture

• mhr648's Profile Photo

Eat like a local!

by mhr648 Written Mar 27, 2008

I am a "townie", so just wanted to give my favorite local spots their due... Best inexpensive fare, hands down for me is The Taco Stand. Three locations in town, but go to the original, at the corner of Milledge and Prince Ave. Very Americanized burritos, tacos, etc. Counter service, and the counter help won't be much..(help, I mean.) But everything is made in house, from the salsa to the chips to the refried beans. For a little more upscale counter-mex, try Barberitos. Huge burritos, now a mini-chain but started by a local guy and still great. I think 3 locations in town now, go downtown on Clayton for the original. While downtown, for a casual sitdown with excellent Italian food (NOT spaghetti and meatballs, but you CAN get that, and it will be good, but go for something more exciting like one of the fish specials) try DePalmas. They have two more locations, the one at Homewood Hills shopping center just off Jefferson Hwy past the bypass is less busy and has wine specials on Mon and Tues. If you're at Homewood Hills on a Wed, drop in at Foxz for a great dive bar karaoke exerience. Or for a burger and bowl at Kingpins...(Just a few lanes, very old school and fun.) I digress. More food info. You can't beat The Grit for vegetarian, but really just for good homestyle food (disclaimer: I was one of the original owners 20 years ago, but with no affiliation now, and if you read any of the other tips, no Michael Stipe is NOT one of the owners.) Go downtown to Clocked for the best burgers in town (run by vegans, go figure.) Or if you want sushi, Shokitini is delicious and with a beautiful interior (or private karakoe rooms upstairs.) For great cheap pizza, Little Italy downtown (you'll feel like you're in New York.) To summarize, GO DOWNTOWN, GO DOWNTOWN, GO DOWNTOWN (or, to Homewood Hills.)

• profphat's Profile Photo

Johnny's NY Style Pizzeria & Subs: NY Italian

by profphat Written Aug 7, 2007

Johnny's is a nice Italian restaurant with excellent food and atmosphere. On the left of the restaurant is a giant picture of New York. There were also many other cool paintings and pictures. The food is very good too. The waitress we had was very friendly and hard working, but was not boring while she worked.

Favorite Dish: I had a baked ziti which was very good. Every thing blended well. The salad was awesome. What made it awesome was the dressing which goes with it. The restaurant makes it them self and is great.

• Study Abroad

• clishea's Profile Photo

Uncle Otto's (formerly Achim's K-Bob): German staples!!

by clishea Updated Aug 3, 2007

Achim Reus came to the US over a decade ago, bringing with him a wonderful dish, the k-bob (kebap). No, it is not what you're thinking. He sold his recipe for flatbread to Big City Bread of Athens, which makes it fresh for the restaurant. Walking in, you'll notice the worn hardwood floors leading to the counter and that each table is covered with sheet music, very appropriate for an Athens-based company, and reflecting Achim's musical past. You'll also notice the upright roasters behind the counter roasting chicken and steak for the k-bob you're about to sink your teeth into, and you'll smell the aroma of fresh seasoned Belgian fries, fit for dipping in any of their original dipping sauces, including feta. They shave the meat of your choice and serve it in flatbread, topped with your choice of feta cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato, yogurt sauce, and cucumbers, all of which I highly recommend. Plus, there's a comfy sitting area in the front, with magazines to peruse, or you can sit outside and enjoy the bustling university community of Athens.

Favorite Dish: I most like the chicken k-bob with fries and olive (or feta) dipping sauce. Everything's a little messy, but it's all SO good!

• Study Abroad

• Update on Athens restuarants

by lewatts Written May 30, 2007

There are several posts on here that are a little dated and might find you wandering lost and disappointed through downtown.
    Mellow Mushroom is now called The Tavern, and serves basically the same menu I've heard.
    The Garden Room Cafe is now run by Trumps! Catering and is listed as Trumps at the Garden Room.
    Sadly, Compadres, Normaltown Cafe, and Blue Sky Coffee are all closed.

• budgetadventurer's Profile Photo

Mama Sid's Pizza: where college life meets the rest of Athens

by budgetadventurer Updated Jun 4, 2006

Mama Sid's is an East Athens tradition that spans over 20 years. It was opened by Jim and Sidney Anne Waters, and is now run by their son, Shaun. Their whole family is there many evenings, as are MANY families who come for the fresh, homemade pizza; cheap, cold beer; and a welcoming atmosphere that is fuss-free.

The all-you-can eat buffet is probably the main draw, but the sweet tea is a close second. Native Athenians think of this place as fondly as their own dining room, and people from all walks of life go for good food and, if you're lucky, a great conversation with Mama Sid herself.

Favorite Dish: The pizza is first-rate, but what you might not expect -- and will love! -- are the dough nuggets. They're made of pizza dough, and drenched in garlic butter. They're excellent dipped in Mama Sid's' own homemade ranch dressing.

Instant Answers: Athens

Comments

Athens Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Athens restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Athens sightseeing.