General Tips, Atlanta

Know about this? Rate It!

by Yaqui
    by ATXtraveler
    by tpangelinan
  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

Courtesy Conductors

by Yaqui Written Nov 8, 2009

Favorite thing: The owners of the Underground Atlanta is trying to revamp the security efforts. Instead of calling them security guards they call them Courtesy Conductors. I thought that was cute. Their station is a working display for educational use when they have guided tours of school children.

50 Upper Alabama Street, Atlanta GA 30303
    404-523-2311
    Underground Atlanta
    Exit onto Marietta St/Decatur St SE & Pryor Road exit from I-85

• Not a Tourist Destination

by EGeorgeR Written Nov 14, 2008

Favorite thing: I have been to Atlanta many times on business and to visit family, but I do not consider it a tourist destination. It is clean, safe and easy to navigate the downtown, but is not New York, Chicago or San Francisco.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Luckie Marietta District

by ATXtraveler Written Nov 3, 2008

Favorite thing: The Luckie Marietta District is the name given to the residential area located right next to Centennial Olympic Park, the CNN center, the Georgia Aquarium, and the World of Coca-Cola. It consists of three residential properties and is home to several restaurants, hotels, shopping centers, and other amenities. If you were looking for a shared use architecture, this would be the place, with plenty of access to sporting events at the Phillips Arena and Georgia Dome also.

Locations:
    300 Marietta Street
    275 Baker Street
    250 Park Avenue West

Website: http://www.luckiemariettadistrict.com

• getamoveon's Profile Photo

Great, Fun Area of Atlanta!

by getamoveon Written Nov 14, 2007

Favorite thing: Staying in Midtown offers a lot of advantages. The major hotel is Wyndam Midtown. You are near Piedmont Park which is beautiful and very relaxing, numerous good restaurants, Marta Station, and High Museum. You will be located in a very safe part of town (as safe as Atlanta can be!). If you are feeding a finicky group that wants a little bit of everything there is a great Jason's Deli on Tenth. Fun, eclectic area.

• Women's Travel

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Coke is it!

by tpangelinan Updated Sep 16, 2006

Favorite thing: Can we just tell you that if you don't drink Coke you not in the club any more. Don'y say the "P" (Pepsi) word around this town or you may get hurt! They love them some Coke down here! If you work at the Coke plant and you are caught drinking Pepsi you're fired as Donald would put it!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Conventioneering

by grandmaR Updated Jun 13, 2006

Riding up the escalator on the last day

Favorite thing: I've only been to Atlanta once recently, and that was for a convention. The convention was at what I think is the Georgia World Congress Center. They were building more of this at the time we were there. The whole front was a construction site. A map of the present center is at:

Fondest memory: I took pictures of the construction because at the time I went to this convention I was inspecting sites for compliance with Safety and Health rules.

• Women's Travel

• Busy and Relaxed

by hazeljessup Written Jun 7, 2006

Favorite thing: I lived here for a while in 1989. A while ago but I still keep in touch with some of the people there. I had an excellent time and the people were super friendly. I lived in Sandy Springs. Plenty of places to shop, eat, have a coffee, arty places. A clean town and mixed religion. I am Christian and stayed with a wonderful Jewish family - I felt very at home with all the people I met.
    Must go to Helen Georgia, where father Christmas lives. A touristy, but not crammed place which makes you feel relaxed and as though a part of one big family with the rest of the people there.
    Night life good in Atlanta, lots of different types of places to go, including Jazz Cafes, Irish clubs, bars, clubs...no end to the variety.
    You will need a car.

• Zarasher's Profile Photo

Keep you eyebrows looking sharp!

by Zarasher Written Mar 22, 2005

Favorite thing: I lived in Atlanta for a year and before I went I always used to get my eyebrows threaded. When I got to Atlanta I begun searching for Indian Areas as many indians do this hair removal procedure. After about week I found Urvashis out in the sticks! I was so grateful as sooooo did not want to wax (takes away the corners) Even when I visit I always go back. they make ur eyebrows look so sharp and precise.

Fondest memory: Urvashi

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Georgia Tech

by meteorologist1 Written Aug 29, 2003
    Georgia Tech

Fondest memory: I visited Georgia Tech when I was in Atlanta as part of my college visits. It is in the top 50 colleges ranked by U.S. News. It has good engineering programs. The campus is located near downtown Atlanta.

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• mnhaus's Profile Photo

Best things about ATL

by mnhaus Updated Feb 7, 2003

Favorite thing: I love Atlanta.....its a great city full of life and promise. It's full of history, evident in the number of museums and monuments around town. It's a place of development and progress. And it's a place of natural beauty, thriving even in the middle of the urban landscape....

Fondest memory: Atlanta in the spring - when the dogwoods are in bloom, flowers are springing up all over the place, the sun is warm and green grass everywhere. There is no more beautiful American city than Atlanta during spring!!!

• pack for heat

by steffabc123 Written Oct 15, 2002

Favorite thing: pack for the heat conditions... youll burn up if you have more than shorts and a shirt... mostly during the summer but in the winter your fine with pants and a shirt...

Fondest memory: just about every christmas when i was little... we would have this huge chirtmas tree with atleast 100 presents under it... and my grandmother(mimi) would always bake every meal with the garrentee that it would fill us up... my cusins and i would go to bed early to get up at an insanly time to open our gifts from santa(we had to wait till all the family got there to open our gifts from the family) it was the most rividing feeling running down the steps to find the most wonderful present for each one of us in the perfectly chirtmas decorated living room.... i will never forget those christmases....

• AusChris26's Profile Photo

Well, basically everything I...

by AusChris26 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Well, basically everything I said on my Georgia page, relates to this page...

Fondest memory: I lived at Vinings Peak, in Vinings, Cobb County.. In the apartment complex that I lived, we had a communal pool, spa, and bar-b-q... Every Saturday (In Summer) everyone would converge on to the pool and sit around, chat, and drink.. At first, no body knew each other, but within a few weeks, we all became a close nit group of friends.. Some of my best friends were made at that pool.. It got to the stage where, we would spend all day at the pool drinking, and then go out for more drinks and dinner, as a big group.... That's what i call community spirit!

• There is so much to do in...

by K_pettigrew Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: There is so much to do in Atlanta. You can go downtown and admire the arcitecture or you can go to Buckhead. There is Stone mountain and Six flags. There are the N. Georgia Mountains. Visit the Chattahoochee!!!!!!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Atlanta is going with my father to watch a braves game when I was a little girl.

• maryinutopia's Profile Photo

sightsee from the inside of a...

by maryinutopia Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: sightsee from the inside of a white stretch limo while enjoying a fine glass of wine! Felt as if I was living the life of the rich and famous! Lots of things to see and places to go...the old underground...the Coca-cola museum....tons of skyscrapers...the CNN headquarters

Fondest memory: I don't know about fondest memory...more like most memorable because it ruined the night. This girl from the sister bank gets car sick and the driver had given her a bag to UPCHUCK in with a hole in it! IT WAS HORRIBLE WHAT OCCURRED....and we all had to go back to the room!!!! DANG!!!

Instant Answers: Atlanta