Flying Biscuit Cafe, Atlanta

Exterior
    Interior
    Orange Scented French Toast
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

The Flying Biscuit Cafe: Not Impressed!

by riorich55 Written Sep 24, 2011

I decided I needed to go out for breakfast away from the continental affair they serve at the hotel as I had worked the night before and did not have dinner. We had passed this place last week when we were going out to dinner and since it was only a couple of miles from the hotel I decided to give it a try.

I was surprised that it opened for breakfast at the relatively late hour of 7:00 a.m. Breakfast places up in Chicago where I'm from usually open at 6:00 a.m. Anyway I opened up the joint at about 7:01 a.m. took a picture and then waited for the menus from my server.

I don't expect people to be too perky in the morning, but my server was not the friendliest person in the world. She was OK, but if your job is partially depended on tips you need to be at least a little friendly, don't you??

Favorite Dish: I had looked at the menu online the night before so I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to order. I ordered the Orange Scented French Toast with raspberry sauce and honey creme anglaise. To go along with this I ordered a side order of turkey sausage.

Now french toast isn't really that exciting of a dish, but if done right can be very tasty. This was not tasty at all and even with the sauces was really below ordinary. The sausage was fine, a bit on the spicy side but not bad.

All in all I was disappointed with the experience and probably would not come back for another breakfast. They serve lunch also, but I wouldn't make a special trip to try it out.

I guess I'm spoiled by all the really good breakfast restaurants where I live, where I can get a breakfast that not only taste good the first day, but because they are usually so large, I can enjoy them from one to two days after as well.

Sorry Flying Biscuit, I won't be boarding anytime again soon.

Exterior Interior Orange Scented French Toast

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Flying Biscuit Cafe: Unique place for breakfast

by leplaya Updated Apr 4, 2011

This popular breakfast place is usually packed, so come early. This is your chance to enjoy traditional southern food, but not jeopardize your health. With organic chicken sausages, turkey bacon, and lots of vegetarian and vegan options, this place has a lot of unique things to order. There is an outside eating area, which is covered and heated in the winter time.

Favorite Dish: Their biscuits are great!

• Flying Biscuit Cafe: The Sinking Biscuit - don't go!

by levans1 Written Oct 6, 2007

The immediate impression is one of charm. Wait was around an hour, and this was a Sat. afternoon at 2:00. We mainly had to wait because the hostess apparently called our name outside only. She never bothered apologizing, even though it added 20 minutes to our wait. Average wait appears to be around an hr.
    The food is unexceptional and the biscuits hard and unappetizing. It is not "traditional" Southern no matter what people say. Their "famous" biscuits tasted of baking soda. They were served with a spicy apple butter that was nasty.
    Breakfast combos are downright weird. They sausage they serve is chicken, and the bacon was overcooked turkey bacon. While I am sure it is healthy, it was tasteless. They do not have biscuits and gravy, either. They do serve grits. Their breakfast potatoes are roasted to a crisp, and have too strong a rosemary flavor. I have had much better. My turkey burger was overcooked and bland. The only bright spot was an OK Tomato Basil soup - but while it was fresh, it was still too salty. From all appearances, the meatloaf or baked chicken might be the way to go if you absolutely have to eat at this place. We got the chocolate bread pudding which is apparently famous at the cafe, but unfortunately I found it to be bland, packy, and totally without character. If you would like to try a good chocolate bread pudding, try the one at Pappasito's.
    My final view on this place: don't go. Take my advice, and if you need to eat breakfast, please eat at J. Christopher's, which is further up Johnson's Ferry towards Roswell Road, in the shopping center for the Fresh Market. I know that there are many glowing reviews of the Flying Biscuit, but I feel that I was gypped out of my $30. I know that Rachel Ray has recommended it, but it truly is all hype. I will not eat there again! Just compare this place to places like Another Broken Egg Cafe in Destin, FL (also a small breakfast chain) which blows Flying Biscuit out of the water.

Favorite Dish: I would get the "stoup" of the day, the meatloaf or the baked chicken. Although I would not recommend eating here at all, or at any Flying Biscuit location. I would rather go to the "Awful Waffle" rather than eat here again!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Flying Biscuit Cafe: Flying Biscuit Cafe

by goingsolo Updated Mar 21, 2005

The Flying Biscuit is a small but popular place which is most known for its breakfasts. There are three separate locations, and the Midtown one is the most popular. On a Saturday or Sunday morning, you can expect a wait of a half hour or more. As with many places in Atlanta, parking can be hard to come by as well.

The food is southern and organic, a rare combination and a perk in a city where requests for egg white omelets are greeted with raised eyebrows. Most breakfasts come with one of the famous biscuits. If you're into eating on the healthy side, the restaurant will cook your breakfast with egg whites or you can opt for scrambled tofu in lieu of eggs and bacon.

Personally, I wasn't wowed by the food, even the biscuits. I thought they were good, and definitely larger than your average biscuit (if that means anything), but nothing extraordinary. The scrambled tofu was decent, but nothing special, although that's hard to do with tofu. Still, I've had better. I think an omelet would be a better choice.

Figuring that 400,000 Atlantans can't be wrong, I decided to give this place another shot. This time, I opted for something more traditional yet still on the healthy side. Scrambled eggs with free range chicken sausage was a more palatable meal, and the organic oat pancakes tasted far better than they sound.

I'd recommend this place for a decent and inexpensive breakfast. Most selections cost between $6-$8, and that includes potatoes or grits and a biscuit. Not a bad deal. This is also a great place to take a health food afficionado. But, if you want to try this place, you may want to give it a shot on a weekday morning to avoid the weekend crowds.

Favorite Dish: The biscuits seem to be the popular favorite. I gave my opinion above, but I will have to add that I'm not a huge biscuit fan. So I'd say try them and judge for yourself.

• cosmogypsy's Profile Photo

Flying Biscuit Cafe: Southern Breakfast

by cosmogypsy Written Jul 15, 2004

I have been told about this cafe for years and finally was able to eat there. They have excellent breakfast food and cappuccino. The lack of cappuccino seems to be the downfall of most breakfast places in the South.

There is more than just breakfast foods on the menu but the breakfast is so good! We went on a weekday and there was plenty of indoor and outdoor seating but on the weekends it is suppose to fill up.

Favorite Dish: I had two eggs, a biscuit and grits. The egg and biscuit were good, but the grits were the best I have ever had! I was raised in the South but my parents were from the North, so when my friends had grits, we had cream of wheat. I thought it was the same thing...It is not!

The Flying Biscuit

• DrewV's Profile Photo

For breakfasts that can't be...

by DrewV Written Aug 24, 2002

For breakfasts that can't be beat, get some eco-friendly hippie lovin' at the Flying Biscuit Cafe.
    Be prepared to wait quite a while to get in. There's no reservations, and on weekends, the wait can be up to two hours. It's all good though, because there are several cute little boutiques in the neighborhood, and the bakery next door will sell you biscuits to settle your appetite.

Favorite Dish: They've got some world-class orange French toast with bananas, plus delicious egg scrambles. But the real beauty is the flying biscuit itself. The biscuit is huge, buttermilky, and oh so good.

Instant Answers: Atlanta

Comments

Hotels Near Flying Biscuit Cafe
4.5 out of 5 stars