The Vortex, Atlanta

Wall art on the patio
    Black 'N' Spicy Burger
    Black and Blue Burger
  • PVHS02's Profile Photo

The Vortex - L5P location: Get Sucked In!

by PVHS02 Written Jun 2, 2010

The entrance.

The Little Five location has a different mood than the Midtown and is also a bit smaller. The comedy acts that perform in Midtown do NOT perform here, so don't get them confused.

Great selection of burgers (available in chicken and black bean varieties) and just an overall amazing beer list. This place is only open to patrons 18+ (even during the day) and they do allow smoking inside (just a tip, most Atlanta bars do still allow smoking inside).

Reasonably priced menu items - just be prepared to have them laugh at you when you order a 'big naked weenie' (a real menu item). Also, surprisingly vegetarian friendly.

Favorite Dish: I love the Yokahama Mama Burger. But I like it with chicken instead of beef.

I also find their tater tots to be of an amazing calibre.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

The Vortex: Out of this World Burger

by moiraistyx Updated Jun 7, 2009

Wall art on the patio

My first night in Atlanta, Balfor was nice enough to take me out to one of his favorite burger joints. I was not disappointed in any way, shape or form, in fact I was pleasantly surprised. This is a really fun place to go. It is a bit of a biker type of bar but alas, the food was great so who cares. The one draw back to this place is that it allows smoking. In Georgia this means that no one under 18 is allowed. Anyway, we had to wait about 20 minutes for out table so I ordered a glass of wine which was really good and Balfor had a beer, which was good, I had a taste. We enjoyed our meal on the patio which helped with the smoking issue. I had the Black ‘N’ Spicy Burger and Balfor and the Black and Blue Burger. He had tator tots and I had potato salad which was absolutely yummy. While you are here make sure you check out all the cool things hanging from and on the walls. Don't forget to check out the murals as well. They are totally cool.

Favorite Dish: The Black 'N' Spicy burger is totally delicious. It's an all beef burger dipped in buffalo chicken wing sauce and served with a blue cheese spread on a bun. I was also totally surprised by the potato salad which was not made with mayonnaise it was made with sour cream. OMG it was so good.

• lacietyn's Profile Photo

The Vortex: Most Awesome Burger in Hotlanta!

by lacietyn Updated Sep 1, 2009

Me all the way to the left at my fav place in ATL!

Hands down the best burger in Atlanta! Awesome atmosphere I literally cannot go to Atlanta without eating the Buffalo Burger, not to mention their potato salad is off the chain! I am not even a burger person (I know, how un-American is that?!?!), but I would never turn down a Vortex Burger! A must try… its also in the most cultural diverse area of Atlanta in my opinion… I love this place! You would think one of the servers is gunna bite your head off… but I honestly love the tough attitude and little restaurant feel walk into the skull and enjoy! Its very clean and very good! Oh, by the way no one under 18 allowed....

Favorite Dish: The Bufflao Burger and the Potato Salad!

• Motorcycle

• meccostaud's Profile Photo

The Vortex: Knockout food in Hip Midtown

by meccostaud Written Jun 4, 2006

This restaurant looks like a contemporary cafe from the street, but inside you'll find a dark, long bar decorated with fun tchotckes, funny signage and pink string lights. The crew are young, tattoed to the nth degree, and very friendly.
    I took a seat at the bar and the friendly barmaid asked me if I'd like to see a menu, which was several pages long and which had brunch and lunch dishes, from omelettes to burgers to salads. I ordered a Diet Coke from the friendly young barmaid and persused the menu.
    I ordered a cup of turkey chili and a grilled chicken quesadilla, and scoped out the surroundings while I waited. There was a faded Mississippi license plate affixed above the bar which read "URAPNS". I laughed out loud.
    A young guy tattoed to within an inch of his life delivered the chili, which came decorated with chopped onion and shredded cheese. It was delicious, hot, spicy and flavorful; my only complaint was that it could have been a tad warmer. Accompanying the cup was a rectanglular piece of what looked like a piece of toast. Its consistency was similar to grilled polenta; crispy and dark on the outside, gooey and melt-in-the mouth in the middle, with kernels of corn interspersed in the gooiness. "What was that bread?" I asked the barmaid. "Jalapeno cornbread" she replied with a smile. I told her it was fantastic and she agreed.
    My quesadilla was soon delivered by the same guy, and it was absolutely the best I've ever had. It managed to be hot, crisp, and chewy all at the same time, and was accompanied by plastic cups full of tomatillo salsa and sour cream, and the garnish was a couple of bright hot cherry peppers.
    I scarfed the whole thing even though I was already stuffed from the chili. The smiling barmaid asked me if it was still good, and I enthusiastically replied "Oh yes!".
    With a sigh of contentment I paid the bill and wandered out the gloom and into the hot bright sunshine of Peachtree Street, sated, happy, and feeling a bit triumphant that I had made the right restaurant choice.

Favorite Dish: The cheese quesadilla with grilled chicken was superlative.

• Business Travel

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

The Vortex bar and Grill.: The Vortex bar and Grill.

by pulgaron Written Aug 24, 2002

Service with an attitude. The waiters have a unique way of dealing with customers and it is stated rigth in the menu. The menu has a section telling customers what is expected of them and what to expect from the waiters at the Vortex, weird ha. They make you feel at home, really. But you know how you are treated at home, no special treatment. You will take what is given to you and you will like it. If you don't beleive me, next time you're in there order something and tell the waiter to make it fast. you're in ahurry. Then just wait and see what happens.
    But the food is great good selection of beer and the place is peculiarly decorated. I like thesigned pictures of the professional dancers. You figure out why when you go.

Favorite Dish: Their Cuban Sandwich, but all the sandwiches and burguers are great. Their international beer selection.

• The Vortex: Interesting Biker-THEMED Burger Joint

by hkdailo Written Jun 21, 2008

For those of you looking for "authenticity" and worried about "gentrification" - Sigh. Too late. The Vortex (the Little Five Points store) is an interesting Biker-THEMED burger joint which serves decent but unexceptional burgers. The main thing to recommend about the place is its huge selection of international beer. As for "authenticity" - well, let's just say that just 3 blocks further down the road, there is now a giant strip mall, complete with your Best Buy; your Target; Bed, Bath & Beyond; and that perenial biker hang-out - Bath & Bodyworks.

THere are a few "alternative"-type shops nearby, and they help draw a colorful crowd. There are a few tattooed bikers lounging in the parking lot sitting on their bikes, but they turned out to be "parking attendants" hired by the restaurant. Uh-huh. Actually, almost every employee of the place sports colorful body art and multiple body piercings, some of which highly erotic. But most of the clientele were touristy yuppies - which means I blended right in.

They somehow lost my order in the kitchen and I waited half and hour before I got my burger. They were nice enough to put it on the house. The waitress was actually quite nice about it, and I gave her a full tip...

Favorite Dish: The imported Czech Pilsner.

• Theme Park Trips

• The Vortex: Expect to pay 18% tip for the horrible service...

by wvxpress Written Aug 20, 2007

I wouldn't eat here again if my life depended on it. A few of my friends and I decided to try Vortex to celebrate a birthday. The waiter was very sarcastic and unnecessarily rude when we asked about items on the menu. We asked for separate checks and we were told it would be no problem. When the bill came, not only did we receive only one check, but the waiter decided to slap an 18% gratiuty on the check for himself since it was six people although his service was horrible and degrading. Seeing that we didn't think he was worthy of an 18% tip, we asked for and spoke with the manager who told us that the tip was required and that he would call the cops on us if we didn't pay the tip. IT was RIDICULOUS!!! We proceeded to pay because we didn't want to ruin the birthday celebration. The manager took the money and the waiter very rudely said, "It better all be here." DON'T EAT HERE UNLESS YOU ARE OKAY WITH PAYING FOR HORRIBLE SERVICE.

• cmarsek's Profile Photo

The Vortex: Atlanta's Best!!

by cmarsek Written Nov 19, 2005
    How can you not love this place!?

Beer and Burgers! What is more American than THAT!?!? My friends took me to dinner to a place they said I would love. I'm game for anything so I said "Sure!"...why not? I have to admit, when we first pulled up I was a little unsure. The building is adorned with a large ominous skull and there was a row of motorcycles standing in front. The parking lot was small and very crowded. Our group was 12 people in size so it took some time for us to be seated but the wait proved to be well worth it! No one was disappointed with their meal.

Favorite Dish: I had the bison burger and it was delicious. There were about 12 of us at dinner that night and I think each of us ordered something different and ALL of us LOVED our food!!

• The Vortex: I Love This Place!!!

by L1011 Written Nov 2, 2005

I love the Vortex. The burgers are great, and the atmosphere is all about attitude. It's refreshing, because they don't really care about political correctness. They run a business on their terms, and if you don't like it, you don't have to go there. I've been to the Midtown and Little Five Points locations-both are great, but parking is a pain on Saturdays at the Little Five Points location. They don't pretend to be a white linen/pretentious/politically correct/health food restaurant. It's a great bar and burger place where the atmosphere's comfortable. A great place to go if you don't want to listen to screaming kids-when the statewide no smoking ban went into effect, they changed it to "over 21" only. Love this place!!!

Favorite Dish: Any of the burgers are great. The beer's cold and the Bloody Mary's are good as well.

• Singles

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

The Vortex: Gourmet BURGERS!

by rsleisk Updated Apr 4, 2011
    The bar area at the Vortex

The Vortex is a cool burger restaurant in Mid-Town Atlanta, there are 2 other locations as well. We frequented this place when I was working here for 2 months, and I was able to try most of the burgers on the menu (they are all good!)

They have an awesome list of brews on tap or in bottle. Try Paulaner Heffeweizen with a lemon, dude!!!

Favorite Dish: THE BLUE 'SHROOM topped with thick blue cheese spread, sauteed mushrooms and bacon. It's so good you'll see God.

Instant Answers: Atlanta

Comments

Hotels Near The Vortex
3.5 out of 5 stars