Not So Safe Areas, Atlanta

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Homeles are Present downtown

by BruceDunning Written Jan 20, 2010

Sitting in comfort in the warmth

Besides the areas surrounding the Underground, there is also a faction of homeless people and beggars around the CNN center. While we were there in January, about 20-30 were sitting at the tables in the food court of the lobby of CNN. They do not disturb you inside, but the mere sitting there is a sight that takes away form the CNN image, in my opinion. Many security people are around, but leave the homeless undisturbed, unless they get "roudy".

• List is Deceiving

by capview Updated Jul 15, 2009
    Capitol View House, $59K!

In reading some of these warning neighborhood lists, there are some interesting n'hoods that people (travelers) might like to visit such as Grant Park, E. Atlanta. They are not ghettos, yes bad people live there, so be cautious at all times especially at night and stay in groups. Now I live in Capitol View in SW Atl which I will admit is very deceiving but is misplaced on the lists. It looks like a wonder old neighborhood (and really it is) with Victorians and Craftsman Bunaglows, many well maintained with a 50-acre park but we have a good amount of thugs which is not apparent at all times of day as in some bad neighborhoods. But it is considered the fastest up and coming neighborhood in SW ATL (and is on the proposed Beltline...a transit loop around intown n'hood) where there are no good neighborhoods here and and many of the new residents that have moved here are laying the groundwork to create a new vibrant neighborhood. Of course we have serious crime. It is mostly black on black(bad drug deals, gang turf wars). Urban living isn't for the faint of heart! It is very close to D'town, Midtown and Buckhead and very accessible to major interstate to go anywhere in the region. And house prices are cheap!See photo. Come check us out....www.capitolview.org

• atliswhereibe's Profile Photo

ATLANTA- Its NOT that bad

by atliswhereibe Written May 15, 2009

1. Atlanta is not as dangerious or "sketchy" as people make it seem
    2. Use the "guidelines" your parents or guardians taught you: Dont talk to strangers
    Dont give or take anything.
    3. People steel from all over the country. *** happens.
    4. Yes, I have gotten a brick thrown threw my window and my things stolen but thats why
    responsible people have insurance.
    5. Not to do: Walk around in dark alley's or streets (just dont walk around in the dark period)
    and dont leave a car in an empty parking lot.

I have lived in Alanta Georgia for some 31 years now and I love it. There is much to do here. If you are smart you will know whats safe and whats now. If you arnt, then i guess in a way you deserve what happens to you. Common Sence should be used to its full advantage in this city. Atlanta is a great place, why do you think we have so many damn tourist's?

• Be careful in Midtown too

by girlaboutown Updated Jul 16, 2008

I agree with most everyone else's comments. However, I have been mugged myself and several of my friends have also been mugged. In addition to the obviously sketchy places in Old Fourth Ward/Boulevard and near downtown, Midtown is a place to be careful of as well. I was mugged in Midtown, as well as my friend twice. Piedmont/Juniper seem to be rough areas anywhere south of 10th Street. Also, south of 5th Street I would avoid.

In the last six months there was also a mugging at gun point just on the south side of the Inman Park Station, and my friend got mugged in Buckhead. So it is a bit spread out, but wanted to make sure people were aware that Midtown has gotten more dangerous. Atlantic Station is also fairly crime heavy, unfortunately. People who live in the apartments have complained about the violence and my friend's sister witnessed a shooting there.

Definitely it is best to not be alone, especially anytime after 10pm. Any place where a poverty-stricken area hits a wealthier one is a prime place for crime. And just be aware of your surroundings. If a place seems a little less safe, walk on the street and not on sidewalks surrounded by bushes and trees. If someone walking toward you or in front of you looks questionable, cross the street. Don't carry much cash (or keep it in your pocket) and avoid flashy items or shiny/large purses. Don't leave anything of value or much of anything, in your car.

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• List of Bad / Sketchy Areas

by mlrose617 Written May 14, 2008

I'm in real estate, so I travel quiet a bit around Atlanta. I'm only referring to things ITP (inside the perimeter). This is a generalization... there are actually a LOT of nice homes in these areas, but sometimes the people are dangerous and sketchy. So you may want to steer clear. This is only intended to be helpful; keep in mind you can get mugged/shot/raped anywhere!

Neighborhoods:

- memorial drive
    - MLK
    - bankhead hwy
    - cascade
    - "boulevard" before it becomes monroe
    - ponce de leon (it's hit or miss)

zipcodes:
    - 30310
    - 30312 (some of it is grant park which is nice, but some is not so nice)
    - 30314
    - 30315 (mixed, like 30312)
    - 30318 (mixed, but some areas are BAD)
    - 30032 (not terrible, but not good either)

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel

• Not so bad

by bigboyhighflyer Updated Feb 19, 2008

I'm from Miami, liberty city to be exact. I don't scare very easily.I always stay in Buckhead, The W, Sheraton etc.When traveling to Atlanta. I travel to Atlanta frequently every year.When traveling to city it's best to Go to a central location like downtown. There is always people around. People are like a added security sometimes. Buck head is mostly tourist, natives who come for a good time. They are not there to crack anyone upside the head.But even if you are around the not so cool element the key is to not act like you are different or better than anyone. Trust me i'm from liberty city, Miami. People can tell when you are looking down on them and you can't identify with them. All people good or bad have there points when they break. Don't disrespect anyone and even the most hardened thug will not bother you ,If you respect him. Respect is a big issue in the hood. People lose there lives because they disrespect each other.direspect can cause terrible violence. Just be cool with people and they will be cool with you. MIA knowledge. Its real.

• Luxury Travel

• Atlanta from an outsider perspective

by musicrichardw Written Dec 19, 2007

A lot of those cities that previous members have warned you about are not as "ghetto" as you would assume. They are still "transitional" meaning each block will be different from the next, but Atlanta is gentrifying at an incredible rate. I moved to Atlanta four months ago from Los Angeles. The folks are nicer in the ATL but you still have the same Sunday drivers compared to LA. The urban planner for Atlanta must've graduated from Where's Waldo University because a lot of streets curve into nowhere. Sidewalks are dismal and bicyclist are forced to share one lane roads. With that said, many of the previous bad spots have a eclectic mix of transplants, locals, creative types, LGBT's, etc. Decatur is great, but try staying north of College ave. There is a very visible difference. The whole are east of downtown and north of the 20 freeway is coming on the up and up. Midtown (anything above 10th street) is the new Buckhead. If you're moving, I suggest you rent first and take a stroll yourself. You will be pleasantly surprised.

• Pretend it's a jungle...

by CobbSnob Written Jul 12, 2007

Well-traveled areas such as the Georgia Aquarium, etc. are safe enough during daylight. Near the Children's Museum, & a little farther away is the Center for Puppetry Arts.
    Bottom-feeders can sense when you are afraid to "be rude" to a homeless person. Practice being rude. People are homeless for a reason; drug addicts, mentally unstable, or too combative to get along with family.

Fulton Industrial-Close to Six Flags AND crackheads. Lodge farther west in Lithia Springs. A teenager was recently beaten severely at a bus stop outside the park. http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=99896)

Lakewood - I once saw what looked like a 10 year old girl there on the street during school hours with what looked like a 7-months belly.

Zoo Atlanta-Grant Park is popular with locals as a place to have picnics & play loud music. You may be uncomfortable if you require a wide margin of personal space. Leaving the zoo by way of Moreland Avenue my friend & our kids passed a woman wearing a miniskirt which she flipped up to every passing vehicle to reveal her naked underparts.

Little Five Points-Interesting venue for Goths, gays, & other artsy types. A local store [used to, at least...] have a back room of literature on the drinking of blood & how to obtain it.

Underground Atlanta-Near the capitol building and the World of Coca-cola; refurbished several years ago. A very large hole in the ground with lots of scary, dark corners. Think dripping water and rats the size of 'possums.

Buy your gas anywhere but on the southern crescent of I-285. If you are coming south from the east coast, wait until you get on I-675. If you are coming south down I-75/85, buy your gas no further south than Marietta or wait until you get below Exit 50 or so on I-85.

On the top end of I-285, stopping anywhere between I-75 and I-85 should be okay if traveling with children.

One last word: The farther south you go, the more agressive the drivers become. On the southwest quadrant of I-285 people have no regard for safety whatsoever.

• Not So Safe Area

by kimbervalentine Written Dec 18, 2006

I am black female who has lived in Atlanta my whole life

Atlanta is great place to live. Especially now, there are so many new attractions to see and visit. Atlanta has just opened The Georgia Aquarium the largest Aquarium ever!! There is The Varsity Restaurant where you can get a taste of the Best Hot Dogs in Atlanta, Beautiful Homes and Condos are being built right in the heart of Downtown Atlanta. Crime is everywhere you go. Not just Atlanta!!! You have to use safety precautions any and everywhere you go.

Most people have a misconception about "THE PROJECTS" Most of the people who live in "THE PROJECTS" would rather not reside there. They have no choice. Most of the people that live in "THE PROJECTS" are single mother's, elderly that are on a fixed income or just simply human beings that can't afford nothing else but the low-income residence.

It's the ignorant people that live in "THE PROJECTS" that makes them seem so dangerous.

Of my opinion and I am sure that I am not the only one that feels this way black or white. Atlanta is a great place to live.

You may visit this website to find tourist attractions, kids attractions, even spring and summer events that are going on at the most attractable park in Atlanta which happens to be Piedmont Park. Just to name one thing that I happen to love and enjoy doing on a summer night at Piedmont Park which is CINEMA ON THE LAWN. You may watch a movie on the BIG SCREEN while having a picnic on the lawn. It's romantic for a first date and nice for the whole family. On this website you can find out everything that you would need to know about our beautiful city Atlanta. www.atlantaga.gov

• "Bad Area", "Inner City" = Black Area 2

by nativeatl Written Sep 15, 2006

For anyone moving to Atlanta, I clearly recommend avoiding Clayton County (Riverdale, Forest Park etc.) at all costs. Once all the projects were torn down, the people moved south into what used to be a very quiet and peaceful area.

Back in the city, use common sense. If someone looks suspicious, they probably are. Don't give money to beggars. Don't travel alone at night until you know the lay of the land. Any apartment complex/residental area ending in the word "Homes" is probably a project. Do not fear any area south of I-20. Some of the city's best food and friendliest people are there. If you're non-White, AVOID FORSYTH COUNTY. In 1987, the Black population there was 0. Today (2006) it's 14. Not too progressive. There is a very good chance that you will have a run-in with the Klan. Parts of East Atlanta and central- and southern-DeKalb County can get hairy, as can the lower part of Northwest Atlanta.

The city has come a very long way, and Chief Pennington has brought crime down 40%. Ignore ignorant White racists equating crime with the Black area. If you are one, stay where you are.

• "Bad Area", "Inner City" = Black Area

by nativeatl Written Sep 15, 2006

Whoever started this "warning" that is not from Atlanta should shut their mouth. I am from Atlanta and lived there for 20 years. It is a fantastic city. Of course there is going to be crime in certain areas, but as usual, some racist, ignorant White people want to stick it all on the Black Area. First of all, why would you be out near the projects in the middle of the night? That's completely stupid. Secondly, this is AMERICA -- THE FIRST WORLD NATION WITH THE HIGHEST CRIME RATE. You can get robbed or shot in any city! Luckily, you're more likely to get robbed than shot (in Atlanta).

As for gangs, the New Americas (Mexicans, El Salvadorians and Southeast Asians) have all brought that with them. Go to Gwinnett County if you want to get shot by an Asian. Go to Clayton County or Dalton to get shot by a Mexican or El Salvadorian.

Immediately west of the Georgia Dome is Vine City which has always been rough. West of that is Hunter Hills which is middle income. The western end of Cascade has Black people living in half a million dollar homes (tell that at your next Klan rally, vtanonymous). The Peyton Woods area and B.E. Mays area also have affluent Blacks. Obviously there are ghettos on Hollywood and Simpson Roads, and by the penitentary (two projects across from one another).

On the whole, Atlantans are friendly helpful people that mostly aren't out to hurt you. If you want to talk about thugs that kill you for nothing, let's talk about virtually everyone in California...

• EX-SUBURBANITE:ATLANTA SAFEST LEVELS SINCE 1968

by urban4me Written Sep 12, 2006

8MONTHS IN MY NEW HOUSE IN ADMITTEDLY ONE OF THE FORMER MOST DANGEROUS PART OF ATLANTA.NEW HOUSE NEAR THE A.U.C.(ATLANTA UNIVERSITY CENTER)MOSTLY COLLEGE STUDENTS.My ROOMMATES(ONE FRENCH CAUCASIAN THE OTHER KOREAN) WHO ARE STUDENTS AT GEORGIA TECH AND GA. STATE.BOTH HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WALKING FROM THE ASHBY MARTA STATION TO MY HOUSE(APPROX.1/2MILE).LOTS OF NEW DEVELOPEMNT ALL AROUND .WHILE I RECOMMEND SOME CAUTION AT NIGHT.SCARED IS A BIT MUCH.MY HOUSE HAS ALREADY APPRECIATED IN VALUE.THERE IS A STRONG SENCE OF COMMUNITY BY THE ELECTED LEADERS AND CITIZENS FOR POSITIVE CHANGE.

• Work Abroad

• Atlanta. Dangerous areas

by Cotious Written Apr 18, 2006

Ima be straigh up with yall folks cuz im from da A shawty. Atlanta has a lot of dangerous streets and housing projects trust me. Stay away from pittsburgh community, mechanicsville, west end especially after dark, cascade rd s.w., simpson rd, bankhead courts and bowen homes, adamsville, kirkwood especially after dark, east atlanta after dark, thomasville, englewood manor, jonesboro rd. s.e., campbellton rd s.w. definitely, da whole mlk drive, and trust me aint nothin hollywood about hollywood rd. n.w. Downtown Atlanta is very unsafe at night for tourist, there are more crackheads than a lil bit especially on Auburn Ave. The safest parts of atlanta is midtown and buckhead. If you think im lyin about how dangerous Atlanta is go to a search and type United States Most Dangerous Cities and I guarantee u will see atlanta near da top of that list everytime. And da scary part about Atlanta is that it use to be way more dangerous especially when east lake meadows housing projects were up. They called it Lil Vietnam. Do some research before you come here please.

• Brillemeister's Profile Photo

Be careful around Buckhead

by Brillemeister Written Jan 25, 2006

Despite what many VT'ers (not coincidentally, living oftentimes in Atlanta's wonderful Leave It to Beaver suburbs) may spout about Atlanta's business district, I find that more general crime happens around the entertainment areas in Buckhead. You are seriously more likely to have a gun pointed at you there, and are most likely perfectly safe staying downtown. Thugs, and I mean thugs, don't often hang out in, say, the Peachtree Center area just because there's nothing for them there. But I would seriously advise caution near the sporting venues.

One of the most dangerous things a visitor can do in Atlanta is act panicked. Don't act like you expect to be mugged, and you probably won't be.

• Hustlers and Con Artists

by flannery2 Updated Jan 14, 2006

Now, don't get me wrong, Atlanta is great in many ways, but it is a big city so there are some dangers. You need to be careful of fast-talking and aggressive strangers who either need your help or want to help you. There is a special breed of hustler in Atlanta that is so smooth (and also persistent) that you don't have a moment to think before you find yourself in a confusing dialogue with him or her.

Here are a few examples of things that happened to me:

1. A smartly dressed middle-aged lady knocked on my window holding my New York Times. She said she was the one who delivered my newspaper and conned her way into my apartment to use my phone. She stole my wallet right out of my purse while I was sitting there. Found out later she was a crack addict who used this ruse a lot.
    2. A helpful "mechanic" told me he saw smoke coming from under my car. He offered to fix the part that was "broken" for a small fee. When he told me the part, I realized it was a con because I had just had that part replaced.
    3. A guy told me his tutor stood him up and he had no way home. He was carrying books and said he just needed bus fare to get home and that he'd pay me back. I was pretty jaded by then so didn't give him any money.
    4. One neighborhood hustler used to try to get me to give him money for waving me into my parallel parking place. He'd get pissed off when I told him I didn't need his help. One time he tried to grab my Windex right out of my hands while I cleaned my car so he could charge me for doing the job. I had to scream at him to get him to leave me alone.

I have never been conned out of anything or harrassed as aggressively anywhere else I've lived or traveled. So be on your guard, especially around tourist areas. I don't know if it's still true, but anywhere around Ponce deLeon Ave in Midtown (where I used to live) was a really high-risk area for this type of harrassment. That doesn't mean you should avoid the area, just be aware.

Instant Answers: Atlanta

• Sharon61bio's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Stay away from inside of I-285. There's not much to be proud of south of I-20. Gwinnett is still good. Cherokee and Kennesaw. Good. Cumming and Duluth. Good. Rockdale and Walton. Good! Stay far away from southeast and southwest Atlanta, Clayton, Henry and Fayette. Lived in this area for 52 years.

• May 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I am planning to move to Atlanta this November 2013, and I have read these old post from 2005, is there any change or update posting that I can read about Atlanta. I have two teen -agers who never lived in the city and both are good in school. I was thinking about Eastpointe, Jonesboro, or College Park, are they good areas?

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

As I said in my post above....it is much better to ask your question on the VT Atlanta travel forum here:

Atlanta Travel Forum

where far, far more people will see it and you will get helpful replies/

• Yakisaki's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Clayton co is by far worse than Fulton at this point. There are resonable parts of jonesboro and the rest is not good. Bad or immediately dangerous neighborhoods in my opinion are: Bankhead, vine city, west side of Boulevard, parts of North ave by GA Tech, MLK and near Simpson rd and parts of Marietta st. , backside of grant park/peoplestown hank Aaron by turner and near metropolitan and Fulton st. Donald
      Lee hollowell parkway mechsnicsville Pittsburg communities