Not So Safe Areas, Atlanta

Know about this?

Sitting in comfort in the warmth
    by BruceDunning
    He took her picture!
    by Yaqui
    Celebrating my birthday in Woodruff Park
    by annaegardner
  • ATL has big city crime, just like other big cities

by dixiegirl78 Written Nov 26, 2005

ATL is a big city with millions of people moving through it on a daily basis. Like any other city of its size, it has problem areas. Use common sense and you'll be fine. Don't go wandering around areas of ANY city you are not familiar with in the middle of the night. By the way, most of the people you see out on the streets downtown at night are not gang members or drug dealers--they're some of the city's 10,000 homeless. Most of them will not bother you. However, always use common sense!!!!!!!!!!!! You can get mugged just as easily in the parking lot of Lenox Square as you can in Sweet Auburn. My husband works in EMS in the city of ATL. He has seen it all and I'm sure he would also tell you that most of the people there are not criminals, most are poor unfortunates. I found the posting refering to one of the city's housing projects to be very amusing! Hello, who in there right mind would go there without having any business being there?! Can you say, "Not a tourist attraction?" Also, the posting refering to the shooting of APD officers, "Two Atlanta police officers were shot Saturday night while on duty in the Pittsburg community near Adair Park in southwest Atlanta They were rushed to the trauma center at Grady Hospital." Yeah, narcotics officers got shot on the job, pulling someone over in a known drug area in the middle of ATL--who is surprized? In 2003, in the city I moved to GA from in North Alabama--which by the way has a population of maybe 25,000--a schizophrenic who had just gotten released from the hospital shot and killed two police officers with a high powered rifle when they responded to his 911 call. Needless to say, now days you have to watch your back everywhere---from the backwoods to the big city.

• Atlanta isnt THAT bad...but avoid some places

by gsupanther88 Written Oct 17, 2005

I've lived in Atlanta my entire life. I've lived all over this city: Hampton, Decatur, Stone Mountain, Snellville, and now currently in Sandy Springs. I'm a 19 year old white female and I've rarely felt unsafe in anywhere I've lived. However, there are some places I've visited or (more likely) gotten lost in that were a little rough. One key place I'd recommend avoiding would be the area of Atlanta around the Georgia dome known as Vine City (or more commonly known to locallers as "The Bluff"). This part of town is one of the main areas of drug trafficking. Infact, I once got lost in this part of town around midnight (alone, mind you) and when I stopped to get directions from a convinience store, a cop pulled up behind me and insisted that he escort me out of there. As far as Marta is concerned, I wouldn't recommend going past 5 points on the east/west line (especially the proctor creek line which runs to Bankhead, also not a very good area), but as far as the north/south line goes, I wouldnt worry since there is always lots of traffic coming to and from the airport. I wouldn't worry too much about marta, though, I take it every day, alone and many times afterdark, to and from school.

• greatconde's Profile Photo

Lets get this straight

by greatconde Written Aug 10, 2005

Atlanta, inside the perimeter (ITP to the locals... the city, proper) is no more dangerous than the bland and boring northern suburbs. In fact, rates of crime for suburban towns like Roswell, Smyrna, Lawrenceville and Marietta are higher than Atlanta proper. But recognize that Atlanta is a city and you should excercise caution and use common sense as you would visiting any city. There are sections of town that do not offer anything but unlit streets at night and you should avoid these places like the plague after dark. But enjoying the nightlife is possible without fearing for your life. Just use common sense and stay in the areas where the nightlife is.

What is ironic about the city is that it is much more community oriented than the sprawl of the suburbs. Intown Atlantans are proud to be apart of their communities are not afraid to leave the front yard and do not shut themselves in the way some might that dwell in a sprawling "subdivision" in the "burbs". Communities like Inman Park, Sweet Auburn, Ormewood, Grant Park, Decatur, Candler Park , Cabbagetown and Oakhurst are proud of where they live and work hard to beautify their neighborhoods, and make their neighborhoods appealing to pedestrians.

As a native Atlantan (actually from the burbs), I know that Atlanta has some severe problems, particularly with transportation and sprawl. But I also know that its only hope is in the city itself, by increasing urban density and stopping the rampant and destructive slash and burn development; development that is laying waste to the countryside outside the city limits and choking the infrastructure by the expanse of geography. For too long, Atlanta has spread laterally. Thankfully, in recent years, the city has again begun the process of growing inward.

• dont travel outside tourist area trust me!!!!!!!

by 212guyeast Written Apr 26, 2005

• Casino and Gambling

• Zarasher's Profile Photo

I LIVED IN THE WEST END

by Zarasher Written Apr 7, 2005

All the warnings here seem to be focused on stay out of downtown, or anywhere south of there.

This is all rubbish. How boring would life be if everyone kept North of Downtown. I came from the UK and lived in the West End for a year. Yes there were alot of bums around but I saw alot of those in England and everywhere else I have been.

I used to walk from the West End Marta to the AUC and without incident the whole time I was there. Asby Street was a bit depressing because of the prostiues and crackheads, but oh well thats life. If you walk around acting scared people will take advantage of that anywhere you are.

• Singles

• gabasto's Profile Photo

Stay on Peachtree

by gabasto Written Mar 9, 2005

They are there to help

Atlanta being the biggest city in the southeast, it is best if you do not walk down side streets at night. You can meander down Peachtree (the main street) at 4 in the morning, no prob. But once you get off of this road there are less and less watchful eyes around.

Look for the city assistants that are wearing white pith helmets throughout downtown. they will give you any directions and suggestions that you may need.

• Architecture

• The north side is safest

by la-traveller Written Jun 8, 2004

I came to visit a friend here in Atlanta. He lives north of the 285 in Dunwoody. By reading the advice here and from his tips, it seems the places to avoid are south of the 20 (which bisects the city in half north/south) and inside the perimeter (which is basically inside the 285 which surrounds the city like a circle).

I live in Los Angeles so I'm not easily spooked. I did drive from Stone Mtn back into town all the way in on the 78 which took me into downtown Atlanta from the east side. Downtown Atlanta looks like downtown LA to me. It's busy during the today with its financial district and businesses, but is almost dead at night except for some bar and restaurants and high end hotels.

Unless you've lived in a big city and know how to recognize what areas look bad, I'd suggest to not stay in a downtown Atlanta hotel unless you plan to only stay in the hotel or leave during the day during business hours.

Personally I stayed in Marietta and stayed on the 285 perimeter most of the time during my trip. Basically pretty much what any local Los Angeles person does when they want to avoid downtown LA and only pass thru when going to Hollywood or Melrose.

• Business Travel

• babybird's Profile Photo

Places to avoid

by babybird Written Jan 24, 2004

If you are a tourist, I'd shy away from Underground after dark. There seems to be a marked change in the quality of people who hang there at night. Also be careful in the streets off the main drag in the downtown areas, particularly at night. There are so many gangbangers and general punks who like to shoot just to hear the bang in my opinion. Lot's to do, but like any big city, you can get hurt if you act foolishly.

• tafurojo's Profile Photo

Becareful Around the Georgia Dome

by tafurojo Updated Jan 12, 2004

Underneath the Roads

When we were trying to find our way around the maze of highway, street, and sidewalks getting to the Georgia Dome we made a few wrong turns and actually ended up underneath the road in some back alleys. It did not seem very safe down there but it could also just be the eerie vacancy of all activity above.

• Study Abroad

• Fulton Industrial Blvd.

by RonaaRoo Written Aug 22, 2003

When we were going to visit the Atlanta area, we got reservations at a motel on Fulton Industrial Blvd. When we arrived there, I was very uneasy with the location of our hotel. There were all sorts of sleazy places around our hotel, as well as an abandoned hotel right behind it. (It looked abandoned to me) So if you are looking for lodging, I wouldn't recommend Fulton Industrial Blvd. (We ended up cancelling our reservations and going up the road to Lithia Springs, which was much nicer.

• JrSkymonkey's Profile Photo

It's a big city. A comedian...

by JrSkymonkey Written Aug 26, 2002

It's a big city. A comedian once said that if you found yourself driving on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. you are in the wrong part of town. He was all too right. Keep your head on your shoulders and take the same precautions you would in any big city. If it looks like a bad neighborhood it probably is. It's no more or less danegerous than any other big city in the USA.

• JrSkymonkey's Profile Photo

It's a big city, act...

by JrSkymonkey Written Aug 26, 2002

It's a big city, act accordingly. I do have to note that the city has undergone an enormous transformation since the 96 Olympics. Many of the neighborhoods where (no I'm not joking) Machine gun fire could be heard regularly throughout the 1980's are now gone. The city made a monumental effort to clean up the trouble spots around town and did a pretty good job of it. It's still a big city so all the normal precautions still apply. If your coming here ask me for advice. I'll get a map and show you the spots better avoided.

• AusChris26's Profile Photo

While living in Atlanta I felt...

by AusChris26 Written Aug 25, 2002

While living in Atlanta I felt very safe. But that was because I had friends that showed me around at first... Like any big city, Atlanta has areas that you just don't go. Unless you know the neighbourhood... Downtown at night, and even to some extent now, Buckhead.. Always check where you are driving into, and always feel free to ask. Most people in Atlanta are very friendly and will be helpfull. Hate saying it girls, but females should never travel alone, especially Downtown and Buckhead... Anywhere for that matter?
    I am male, but even some of the nicest areas spooked me from time to time!
    Just be carefull!....

• DrewV's Profile Photo

Crime in Atlanta is serious...

by DrewV Written Aug 24, 2002

Crime in Atlanta is serious and rampant. As in the case of most US cities, Atlanta is plagued by poverty and a massive overflow of weaponry, particularly guns. Generally, every week brings at least one murder and a couple of rapes. Therefore, pay attention. Be careful at night. Do not walk alone. Stay in well-lit areas. Protect your valuables -- don't carry them at all, and if you do, put them in your front pocket. Just be careful, and stay NORTH of the East-West MARTA line when possible. It could save your life. Not to scare you or anything.

• The biggest risk always seemed...

by traveltom Written Aug 24, 2002

The biggest risk always seemed to be getting outside of the tourist area, which is obvious, in downtown Atlanta. Also, don't walk around by yourself in a place called Bankhead. It is immediately west of Georgia Tech University.

Instant Answers: Atlanta

• Sharon61bio's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Stay away from inside of I-285. There's not much to be proud of south of I-20. Gwinnett is still good. Cherokee and Kennesaw. Good. Cumming and Duluth. Good. Rockdale and Walton. Good! Stay far away from southeast and southwest Atlanta, Clayton, Henry and Fayette. Lived in this area for 52 years.

• May 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I am planning to move to Atlanta this November 2013, and I have read these old post from 2005, is there any change or update posting that I can read about Atlanta. I have two teen -agers who never lived in the city and both are good in school. I was thinking about Eastpointe, Jonesboro, or College Park, are they good areas?

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

As I said in my post above....it is much better to ask your question on the VT Atlanta travel forum here:

Atlanta Travel Forum

where far, far more people will see it and you will get helpful replies/

• Yakisaki's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Clayton co is by far worse than Fulton at this point. There are resonable parts of jonesboro and the rest is not good. Bad or immediately dangerous neighborhoods in my opinion are: Bankhead, vine city, west side of Boulevard, parts of North ave by GA Tech, MLK and near Simpson rd and parts of Marietta st. , backside of grant park/peoplestown hank Aaron by turner and near metropolitan and Fulton st. Donald
      Lee hollowell parkway mechsnicsville Pittsburg communities