Augusta Restaurants

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Whiskey Bar Kitchen: Southern influenced fusion

by DSwede Written Dec 10, 2013
    Walls of Whiskey

While I am a whiskey drinker, I did not find this place for this reason. But rather walking up and down the streets sniffing for food to feed an appetite, this venue had the most inviting vibe on my strolls.

There are TV's with the sports games, but its not a sports bar. There is some music, but its not a DJ club. There are a mix of tables or if dining along, there is a long bar. The heavy wood tables and subdued lighting give it a warm feeling. The staff was also friendly and helpful.

Favorite Dish: While the namesake of Whiskey did not lure me in, I did have to sample a few. They have an impressive selection. But they also have other cocktails and beer too.

I selected 'local' theme, but only because it does not really fit into any other category. It is labeled as Asian fusion, but yet there are still the classic steaks and entrees that you'd find in the area.

I was told to try the sweet potato fries, which were delicious. But I also had whiskey marinated ribeye, which was also very well prepared. And washed it all down with a cobbler. All in all, maybe not the best I've ever had, but I would go back again.

• Beer Tasting

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Big Mama's Soulfood: Umph umph umph Soul Food!

by deebum25 Written Jun 27, 2012

An unassuming little place in Daniel Village. But the food is oh so good. I had the baked turkey wing and although I prefer them fried, it was nicely seasoned and juicy. I had the collards and mac and cheese for sides and didn't need to season either one. Very nice! BFF had the oxtails over rice with okra and tomatoes and lima beans. Holy moley I almost ate all of his LIMA BEANS, they were that good! The tomatoes and okra aren't spicy like I've had them but I did watch my friend actually suck the oxtail bones dry. Dessert was sweet potato pie and peach cobbler. The cobbler had a little too much cinnamon for my taste but you better believe I ate it all anyway, and my friend's only request was that the sweet potato pie was warmed (shrug) but it was very nicely fluffy and we ate every bit of it. Sweet tea and lemonade refills are on the house and lunch for 2 was $27. We will definitely return. No website up yet that I can find so you can't peruse the different menu offerings which change daily, but definitely worth the trip.

Favorite Dish: Oxtails! Sometimes they can be greasy and done too long, but these were in a nice non slick gravy that went very well with the rice, and were seasoned perfectly. These folks know what they're doing. And they were busy at 3 in the afternoon which tells you something.

• Seniors
    • School Holidays

Crazy Turks Pizza and Grill: Wasn't That Impressed

by deebum25 Written Jun 27, 2012

Went for a very late lunch with BFF. I see from reading some other reviews that poor service is not as unusual as it should be, so that explains why we stood at the hostess station for 5 minutes and waited 10 minutes for our server to pay us some attention. Ordered the Philly Steak calzone which was fine, and the gyro and fries for me. Best thing I can say about my sandwich is that I had to ask my bff what I had, it was that forgettable. I do remember the fries were old and cold. Don't think we'll be returning unless someone can convince me that there is actually decent food here.

• School Holidays

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Augsburg Haus: The Best German in Augusta!

by deebum25 Updated May 25, 2012

I have been here for both a cooking class and for lunch and dinner and have found everything I had to be without question exceptional. From the salad platter to the gulasch to the jagerschnitzel to the noodles I absolutely love this food. I have taken many friends who have then gone home and dragged their husbands to taste. I have a suspicion that some folks are afraid of trying something new and the menu is written in German but don't be afraid there is an English translation and servers are more than happy to help out. From the reuben sandwiches to the cordon bleu, I have not gone wrong yet!

Favorite Dish: The salad platter. Different types of German salad and a wonderful appetizer to share but I warn you they will charge you if they bring you another plate!

• Work Abroad

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Honey from the Rock: Great Lunch Choices

by 807Wheaton Written Dec 14, 2011
    Pleasant and cheerful atmosphere

We went to this place as a large group and we ate in their meeting room which handled us nicely. The food is served cafeteria style and is priced at $7.99 for one meat and two sides and $8.99 for one meat and three sides. The servings are very generous and the dessert choices make your mouth water. It's open Monday through Friday from 11 AM to 2 PM and it was very busy when we got there on a Friday at 1 PM. The wait staff was very attentive and helpful, even remedying a problem with a free dessert card.
    I had the ribs which were tasty and tender but arrived cold. I also had the macaroni and cheese and fried green onions.
    I would definitely recommend this place and look forward to going back again. It is located almost across from the entrance to the Augusta National Golf Club on Washington Road.

Favorite Dish: Their fried green tomatoes were good and the hush puppies were very good.

• Seniors

• La Maison: Most elegant dining in town

by cwsams Updated Jun 20, 2011

Located in a lovely Victorian home on Fourth and Telfair Streets near Downtown, La Maison is the place to go for an elegant and superbly prepared and served meal. The menu changes seasonally, perhaps more often, according to the desire of the professional chef/owner. The offerings range from exotic game to fresh seafood. There has never been an issue accommodating my gluten allergy either. Be prepared to spend a leisurely evening in the elegant atmosphere listening to soft music by candlelight in one of the elegant dining rooms complete with fireplace and crystal chandeliers. You will not be disappointed. Reservations are a must. A Tapas Bar is attached to the restaurant for those not wanting dinner but desiring some good wine and appetizers. Restaurant is on Facebook.

• Wine Tasting

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

The Taj of India: First time visit for Lunch Buffet - Indian

by 807Wheaton Written Apr 21, 2011

Exterior

We read the reviews for The Taj of India and decided to try the lunch buffet so we could sample different items. It's located in the Petersburg Shoppes area on Furys Ferry Road so there is plenty of parking. We were pleasantly surprised by our first outing for lunch there.
    There were not a lot of patrons eating when we got there so we were able to get a booth. The person that greeted us was very helpful explaining what the things were on the buffet when I told him we had not eaten Indian food before. There were several varieties of chicken - barbecued with Indian spices and a chicken in a curry sauce. We also sampled a vegetable mix that had been fried. We put lentils on the rice and also tried an eggplant-mushroom mix. All very good. We could taste the curry and some spice flavor on several things but it was not strong. The naan was new to us and was very tasty. There was a small salad selection, some yogurt and rice pudding and orange sections for dessert. There are not a lot of items on the buffet which to us was good because we were not overwhelmed with what to try. We were very satisfied.
    We were very impressed with the Health Inspection rating of 100 - A. It was clean and bright in there and the restrooms are very modern and clean also. There were tables and chairs set up outside for dining.
    I certainly recommend this place for an opportunity to try some Indian food - and not have to leave home.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the spicy barbecue chicken and the naan.

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Dino's Chicago Express: Chicago Style!

by deebum25 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is located in the ever growing Martinez area. Dino's was one of the first to move in and work 24 hours a day to make his place a success. The first time we visited his restaurant we met his Mom, who was cooking also. And the food is great! If you're just looking for some dogs every which way you can have them you're in the right place. The fries are some of the best I've ever had and you'll never meet a harder working man than Dino. He does it right!

Favorite Dish: Chicago Dog all the way

The Rooster's Beak: Eclectic taco and beers

by deebum25 Written Sep 25, 2010

Found something new and exciting in downtown Augusta for lunch or dinner. This place is really neat. And the beer selection is outstanding. It has I won't call them gourmet but different and very well done tacos. My husband and I enjoyed the beef, pork, catfish and chicken and each had something unique and tasty on it. Came with a small cup of pico de gallo that was mouthwateringly fresh and lovely. And I can't rave enough about the charros. All of you silly enough to not like beans are missing out on a great dish here. Ask for a spoon because you'll want to eat it like a soup. Best of all, no funky cheese sauces, runny salsa that doesn't taste like anything, or tacos that don't have any flavor to them. The dessert was just as terrific as the food, a bread pudding (and I am NOT a fan of bread pudding) in chocolate sauce with banana avocado ice cream. (And I am NOT a fan of bananas.) I ate every bite. Even the chocolate sauce was melted down real chocolate, not ersatz chocolate-like-perhaps-wanted-to-be-chocolate-in-another-lif e. (I think my palate is getting spoiled.) But if you want something new, fresh, delicious, and to meet the extremely nice chef, make this place a don't miss. Lunch for 2 including beer and dessert was $34.

Favorite Dish: The bread pudding and the charros. The flavor just knocked me out.

• Women's Travel
    • Gay and Lesbian

French Market Grille: Good solid restaurant

by deebum25 Written Sep 27, 2008

The reason to go to the French Market is either to for a business lunch, ladies who lunch, or to have mudbugs or crawdads. It's a very popular restaurant although the food is nothing to really write home about it is good. Some days the gumbo is great some days it's bland.

Favorite Dish: The oyster po boys are very good.

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Tap Tap: Excellent tacos!

by deebum25 Written Sep 27, 2008

I love their tacos. They have a $9.99 special where you can order three different kinds of tacos and it comes with a side of black beans and yellow rice. I've never been disappointed with the food but did notice the last time that they seemed to have stopped smoking their pork tacos which are my favorites and it did take away some of the flavor.

Favorite Dish: Bacon wrapped scallop taco with fresh salsa and black beans. So good!

• Gay and Lesbian

• ThisPartBlank's Profile Photo

Miyabi Kyoto: GREAT Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar!

by ThisPartBlank Written Jun 24, 2008

Miyabi's (as the locals call it) is GRRRREAT. Very expensive but a must. If you wanna be safe: make a reservation! Once you walk in.. look up! The ceiling is a dome that is painting like a Japanese night sky! In the waiting area there is a waterfall/pond/thingy, a drink bar, sushi bar, Japanese costumes in museum-like casings, and you can buy shirts & stuff. The bathrooms are nice.. There is a section where you can eat sitting on the floor. A very cool illusion about this is really the floor under the table sinks so really you are just sitting on a drop off thing. There are 8 seats to a table & if you came with 4 people, be prepared to eat with 4 strangers. But with all the antics the cooks 'cook up' you'll be laughing & having a good time with your table-mates. The cooks will cook right there on your table. If it is someone's birthday be prepared for some noise.. they bring out drums!

Favorite Dish: Everything is really good. Try the tempura for an appetizer, and then try the Saki!

• ThisPartBlank's Profile Photo

California Dreaming: The BEST steak & salad in The AUG!

by ThisPartBlank Updated Jun 24, 2008

GREAT atmosphere, nice dim lighting, great architecture, all around great place. GREAT. Been my favorite place in Augusta for years now! There are only a few California Dreaming 's. Which are in deep southern cities along the coast. I've never been to any others. Indoor/outdoor seating.
    Last time I was there I overheard a woman saying it reminded her of LA.

Favorite Dish: California Dreaming has the best steak I've ever had, the marinated sirloin. Get the 'House Salad', with 'house dressing'. Which is a bacon type dressing with honey mustard. If you're from the north, definitely give it a try. Seeing as how the north doesn't have honey mustard!

• Architecture

• mistyeastham's Profile Photo

McAllister's Deli: Great location

by mistyeastham Written Jun 1, 2008

This chain resturant is situated on the outside of the Augusta Mall. it is brand new and very clean. The staff are young, but very friendly. The soups are always good. There is a bulletin board where you can place adds. Clean and new bathrooms. Inside and Outside seating, near a lighted water fountain.

Favorite Dish: Cookies!!!!! Don't forget the Sweet Tea!!!

• africateach's Profile Photo

Dino's: HOT DOGS!!!

by africateach Written Mar 10, 2006

Ok, so I get the inserts from the mail and what do I see but an add for Chicago style dogs!!! I jump into the truck and head on over to see for myself. Yes, they were very good! Fries were thick cut and tasty! Dogs came with everything on it and was absolutely scrumtious!

Instant Answers: Augusta

Comments

Augusta Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Augusta restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Augusta sightseeing.