Chickamauga Things to Do

  • Things to Do
    by butterflykizzez04
  • Things to Do
    by butterflykizzez04
  • walker county museum
    walker county museum
    by doug48

Most Recent Things to Do in Chickamauga

  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

    Slave Cabin at Gordon-Lee Mansion

    by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 7, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The mansion property was bought by James Gordon after the removal of the Cherokee in 1836. Mr. James Gordon previously built the Gordon Mill, which served as the first general store in Walker County. With the success of the mill Mr. James Gordon wanted to build a permanent estate and construction began in 1840, but due to labor and financial problems it wasn’t completed until 1847

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

    Military Park outside of Gordon-Lee Mansion

    by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 7, 2014
    4 more images

    The mansion property was bought by James Gordon after the removal of the Cherokee in 1836. Mr. James Gordon previously built the Gordon Mill, which served as the first general store in Walker County. With the success of the mill Mr. James Gordon wanted to build a permanent estate and construction began in 1840, but due to labor and financial problems it wasn’t completed until 1847

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Adventure Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

    Coke Ovens

    by butterflykizzez04 Updated Feb 7, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The Chickamauga coke ovens are located just north of downtown Chickamauga on Highway 341. The beehive ovens of the Durham Iron and Coal Company were designed to turn coal into coke for use in the Iron and Steel Foundries in nearby Chattanooga Tennessee. The coal was shipped by train from the Durham coal mines on nearby Lookout Mountain on a winding, precarious railroad constructed around 1891. Train hauling coal to Chickamauga Coke Ovens Two trips a day were made by the trains delivering the coal to be burned at high temperatures without any oxygen present to remove the impurities from the coal. The remaining product was called Coke which burns hotter, longer, and steadier than coal and was what foundries needed to make steel and iron. By 1904, the mines were producing 700 to 1000 tonCoke ovens in Chickamauga Georgias of coal per day. About 1/5 of the production was manufactured into coke. The coke ovens operated until the Depression years when the seam of coal ran out. The railroad was abandoned in 1951.

    In the late 1990's, the coke oven area was reclaimed and restored to its original appearance with train cars and the actual beehive ovens. Wetland demonstration ponds were added and the area cleared to present a quiet, relaxing park like atmosphere. Each year in September the Ovens are transformed into an Arts and Crafts Festival, held in conjunction with the "War Between the States Day". For more information on either event click HERE. Plans are ongoing to create a bird sanctuary and nature trail near the coke ovens which are open daily. Parking and admission are free.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

    Walker County Regional Heritage/Train Museum

    by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 6, 2014
    4 more images

    Sometime around 1888-89, the first railroad was built to the little town of Crawfish Springs, later renamed Chickamauga, Georgia. A Syndicate Company bought large tracts of land for the railroad and a large summer resort. The painting and sketch below shows how the train depot and Park Hotel appeared in the 1890's. The hotel opened in 1891 and the train depot was built with expectations of many visitors. But, the dreams of the investors did not materialize, and in 1898 the hotel was used as a hospital for soldiers at Camp Thomas, located in the Chickamauga Battlefield, in training for the Spanish-American War. It was later demolished and replaced with the two-story brick community house which survives today.

    The stone depot was constructed by the Central of Georgia Railroad and trains made round trips twice a day between Chattanooga and Cedartown, stopping in Chickamauga. Passenger service stopped in the early 50's and the depot was locked in the late 60's. Over the years, the depot was used by the City Schools, as a public library, by the Recreation Association and Walker County; until the City of Chickamauga was deeded the property in the late 1990's.

    Hours are from 10 am to 4 pm Thursday thru Saturday, closed on Sunday and Monday. Admission is $2.00 and parking is free.

    A steam locomotive carries passengers on excursions and day trips from Chattanooga during the summer months, stopping at the Chickamauga Depot. Phone 706-375-4488 for additional information.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

    Crawfish Springs

    by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 6, 2014
    4 more images

    Crawfish Spring, the main water supply for the early settlements, and later the City of Chickamauga in the early to mid 1900's, is located on Cove Road just south of the main town and across the road from the Gordon Lee Mansion. The Spring was named for the Cherokee Indian Chief Crayfish, the earliest recorded settlers in the area. One of the saddest chapters in American history was the forced removal of the Cherokee from their native lands in 1838. It is probable that the Cherokee from Crawfish Spring were detained at Ft Cummings in LaFayette Georgia and then marched back through their old settlement at the spring on their way to Ross's Landing in Chattanooga, Tennessee; the beginning of the Trail of Tears.

    It was near the spring some years later when the War Between the States was brewing that Clark Gordon brought the young men of the area together and organized Company D, First Georgia Volunteer Infantry, C.S.A., serving with distinction. The rock on which he stood is located on the south side of the driveway leading to the Gordon Lee Mansion.

    During the Battle of Chickamauga, September 19-20, 1863, both Union and then Southern soldiers used the spring as a primary water supply. With the Gordon Lee Mansion, located just west of the spring, being used as a field hospital the area around the spring was crowded and busy. Each September, during the annual War Between The States Day the area around the spring is used by reenactors as a camp and living history demonstration area. Visit the EVENTS PAGE for details.

    The spring is no longer used as a city water supply and has been converted to a park setting with picnic tables, a swing, and a gazebo. The cool shade of the tall trees surrounding the spring give plenty of relief from the hot summer sun. Parking is free along Cove Road and the spring is open for all to enjoy at no charge.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Photography

    Was this review helpful?

  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

    Lee and Gordon's Mills

    by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 6, 2014
    1 more image

    Lee and Gordon's Mills, one of the oldest mills in the state of Georgia, is located about 2 miles east of the center of town on the west bank of the Chickamauga Creek. The mill was built by James Gordon, who came from Gwinnett County, Georgia in 1836. The mill served as the first general store in the area. A blacksmith shop was located nearby and the stagecoach and mail passed twice each week. Some time after the War Between the States a covered bridge spanned the creek by the mill, eventually torn down in the early 1900's. Click on the painting above and you'll see all of the early structures plus many of the citizens of the day. During the War Between the States, on September 9-10, 1863, the mill served as the headquarters of the Confederate Army of Tennessee, commanded by General Braxton Bragg. On September 10, Gen Bragg moved his headquarters south to LaFayette Georgia and Union troops occupied the mill and surrounding area the next day. Skirmishes between the opposingPost War Mill photo armies occurred September 13-18 with the major Battle of Chickamauga drawing the troops to the north on September 19-20, 1863. The mill then served as a headquarters for Wheeler's cavalry corps, but was recaptured in the winter of 1863 by Union troops who used the second story as a Masonic Lodge.

    The wartime mill burned in 1867. Shortly thereafter, James Lee, a partner in the mill, rebuilt the mill on the same site, which still stands today. The mill was operated by different owners until 1967 and stood empty and neglected until 1993 when Mr. Frank Pierce purchased the mill and restored it to operating condition and rebuilt the dam. Corn meal, ground by the mill, can be purchased today at the mill and rental buildings on the property may be used for all types of gatherings. The following photos show the mill as it appears today, ready for your visit.

    The City has recently entered into a lease agreement to operate the Mill.

    For more information, please feel free to visit their website.

    Parking is plentiful and free and no admission is charged. Winter Hours: Tues-Sat 9 am to 5 pm, closed Sunday and Monday. Phone 706-375-6801 for more information on tours or rentals

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

    Gordon Lee Mansion

    by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 6, 2014
    4 more images

    The Gordon Lee Mansion was originally the Gordon residence built by Mr. James Gordon, who with his two brothers came from Gwinnett County, Georgia in 1836 to Crawfish Springs, now Chickamauga Georgia. Construction was started in 1840 and completed in 1847. The bricks used in construction were made on the residence grounds.

    The walls of the house range in thickness from sixteen inches at the base to twelve inches at the top. Later a piping system was installed to pipe water from Crawfish Spring up to the kitchen, then bath house, then the spring house, and on to the watering troughs for the animals.

    During the War Between the States, the main house was used by the Union Army for General Rosecrans Headquarters just before the Battle of Chickamauga. During the battle the house became a hospital and reports show that many soldiers died in the house, the floors were so blood-stained they were later covered with mats. Many soldiers scribbled a last message to loved ones on the walls, and the girls of the James Lee family made copies of them and tried to contact families of the soldiers after the battle.

    Mr. James Lee purchased the homestead from the heirs after Mrs. Gordon's death. He was married to Elizabeth Gordon and was the son of a Methodist minister, and was one of the principal organizers of the nearby Methodist Church later named in honor of his wife (Elizabeth Lee Memorial Methodist Church).

    Mr. Lee had a school in his front yard for his children and others in the community. The teacher was usually a male graduate of one of the well know institutions of learning of that day. In his will, Mr. Lee donated $250,000 and 15 acres to be made into a high school. Gordon Lee Memorial High School stands proudly today on the very land donated by Mr. Lee.

    After Mrs. James Lee's death, the house was purchased by one of her sons, Mr. Gordon Lee, who served the Seventh District of Georgia in the United States Congress for 20 years. He completely remodeled the house in the early 1900's changing the double front porch to the present large one with tall, white columns.

    In 1974, Dr. Frank Green acquired the property and extensively restored and remodeled the Mansion and grounds. Today, the Mansion stands on the hill overlooking the spring just as it did when it was first built over a century ago.

    The City has recently entered into an agreement to purchase the Mansion and grounds.

    Please visit the Gordon Lee Mansion website or phone them at (706) 375-4728 or outside the Chattanooga area phone (800) 487-4728 for operating hours.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    crawfish springs

    by doug48 Updated Jul 8, 2009
    crawfish springs

    crawfish springs is located in downtown chickamauga on GA 341. the springs were named after cherokee chief crawfish. the town of chickamauga was called crawfish springs until 1891. during the battle of chickamauga crawfish springs was a source of fresh drinking water for union troops.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    gordon-lee mansion

    by doug48 Updated Jul 8, 2009
    gordon-lee mansion

    the gordon-lee mansion was built by james gordon in 1847. just prior to the battle of chickamauga the gordon mansion was union general william s. rosecrans headquarters. during the battle the gordon mansion was used as a union field hospital. after the civil war james lee bought the mansion. today the gordon-lee mansion is listed on the national register of historic places and is open to the public for tours. see the attached web site for more information.

    Related to:
    • National/State Park
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    walker county regional heritage museum

    by doug48 Written Jul 8, 2009
    walker county museum

    the walker county regional heritage museum is a good first stop on a visit to the town of chickamauga. the museum is located in the historic 1889 chickamauga train depot. the museum has a collection of civil war relics, native american artifacts, antique guns and furniture and several model trains. also at the museum you can get information about the attractions of the chickamauga area.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    chickamauga national military park

    by doug48 Written Jul 8, 2009
    georgia monument

    the town of chickamauga is best known for it's proxminity to the chickamauga national military park. the entrance to the park is just south of the town of fort oglethorpe about ten miles north of chickamauga. the chickamauga battlefield was the site of an important confederate victory during the civil war. for more information see my chickamauga national military park pages.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Chickamauga

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

56 travelers online now

Comments

Chickamauga Travel Guide

Chickamauga Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Chickamauga things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chickamauga sightseeing.

View all Chickamauga hotels