crawfish springs is located in downtown chickamauga on GA 341. the springs were named after cherokee chief crawfish. the town of chickamauga was called crawfish springs until 1891. during the battle of chickamauga crawfish springs was a source of fresh drinking water for union troops.
the gordon-lee mansion was built by james gordon in 1847. just prior to the battle of chickamauga the gordon mansion was union general william s. rosecrans headquarters. during the battle the gordon mansion was used as a union field hospital. after the civil war james lee bought the mansion. today the gordon-lee mansion is listed on the national register of historic places and is open to the public for tours. see the attached web site for more information.
the walker county regional heritage museum is a good first stop on a visit to the town of chickamauga. the museum is located in the historic 1889 chickamauga train depot. the museum has a collection of civil war relics, native american artifacts, antique guns and furniture and several model trains. also at the museum you can get information about the attractions of the chickamauga area.