Cumberland Island Favorites

My shadow on the sand at the dock
    by grandmaR
  • Looking down the marsh side of the island
    Looking down the marsh side of the...
    by grandmaR
    Sitting in the shelter on the dock

Most Recent Favorites in Cumberland Island

Waiting for the Ferry

by grandmaR Written Sep 8, 2011

My shadow on the sand at the dock

Favorite thing: At the end of our tour, we went through the lighthouse museum and then just hung out around the dock and talked to other tourists. We certainly didn't want to miss the ferry, but it was peaceful while we waited and just absorbed the atmosphere.

• Beaches

Wild Horses

by grandmaR Updated Sep 6, 2011

Favorite thing: Wild horses seem to live on remote barrier islands like Assateague and Cumberland. The ranger told us that they asked people what they should do with the feral animals on the island which included pigs, cows and horses. People had no problem with them getting rid of the wild boars and the cattle, but wanted the horses left alone.

So - they are left alone. Nothing is done for the horses - unlike Asseteague or Chincoteague where they are rounded up and the herd culled, nothing is done for these horses. They aren't fed or vaccinated - they don't have their hooves trimmed and they aren't wormed.

They are wild and they are on their own.

The ones up by the old ruins are in the best shape because they have access to fresh water

Fondest memory: Viewing the horses from our boat when we passed by (photo 5 - taken with a point and shoot film camera in 2002), and then getting to see them up closer when we visited the island.

• Cruise

Circumnavigation

by grandmaR Updated Sep 5, 2011

Ancorage area off Cumberland

Favorite thing: Cumberland Island is the southernmost of the Georgia Barrrier islands. We have been all around it by sea, but until 2011 we had never actually been to the island. We've come from Jekyll Island and gone out Brunswick Inlet and come around in in the St. Mary's Inlet. And then when we were coming north 3 or 4 months later, we've come from Fernandina up past Kings Bay Submarine Base to Jekyll again.

We could have anchored off the SW side of the island near the ferry dock, and it is possible to go in to the island by dinghy from your own boat.

Fondest memory: The best thing about Cumberland Island as far as I am concerned is the wild horses that I can see from the ICW. But I think the other wild life would be interesting to see.

I'm not sure how far I could walk on the island, but I guess I will not know until I try.

Instant Answers: Cumberland Island

Comments

Cumberland Island Favorites

Reviews and photos of Cumberland Island favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cumberland Island sightseeing.

View all Cumberland Island hotels