Decatur Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Decatur

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

DeKalb Wellness Center

by rexvaughan Written Feb 4, 2008

Favorite thing: If you are in town and need a place for a workout, run or swim, this facility is a pretty comprehensive one. There are all kinds of weight machines as well as stairmasters, treadmills, elliptical trainers and a track and pool. Fitness staff are very helpful and knowledgeable and always available to help as well as getting folks started on the right track. There are numerous classes in aerobics and a host of other health related issues. I won’t try to explain membership costs as they are so varied depending on age, number of family members and method of payment. We pay by automatic draft which gives us a discount. Along with multi-family and senior discounts it is very inexpensive compared to a lot of gyms. A unique feather of the Wellness Center is the ability to freeze your membership while out for whatever reason. If you freeze for 2 2 weeks your membership is extended 2 weeks. Visits on a daily fee basis are also available for people visiting. I think it is $10 for a day pass. Hours are 5:30 a.m-9:00 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m-4:00 p.m. on Saturday and 11:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. on Sunday.
    2665 n decatur rd, 10, decatur, GA 30033

(404) 501-2222

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

It ain't Paris, but ...

by rexvaughan Updated Jan 31, 2008

Downtown Decatur

Favorite thing: If you have looked at any of my Decatur stuff, you realize I am unabashed booster of my little city. Thanks to some excellent leadership, it has become very popular because it is so liveable. Developers who build housing like this in the photo are required to devote the ground floor to retail space and to provide wide sidewalks with nice lampposts and landscaping. My ideal city of the major ones I have seen is Paris. It is beautiful and also has, like Decatur is striving for, housing where services like restaurants and shops are within walking distance. The last few years has seen a lot of improvements to the look of the city.

Fondest memory: For me this is the best of both worlds - we are in the midst of an urban area but Decatur has a significantly small town feel. It is nice to have people you know personally running the local government. While I do not agree with all the decisions of our city and school board, I feel that they are made with deliberation, concern for the citizens and never for personal gain. What more can you ask.

The view in the photo is looking west on Ponce de Leon Ave (I won't even try to explain how we pronounce that in the South) toward Church Street - the center intersection of the city. The little shop on the corner at the bottom is Rue de Leon - maybe this is Paris after all!

Come to think of it, our favorite restaurant is Cafe Alsace (not Parisian but French). See the second photo.

Instant Answers: Decatur

Comments

Decatur Favorites

Reviews and photos of Decatur favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Decatur sightseeing.