Decatur Restaurants

• Good things sometimes come in small packages.
    Good things sometimes come in small...
  • The
    The "patio"
    by rexvaughan
  • Salad with flat bread fresh from the oven
    Salad with flat bread fresh from the...

Most Recent Restaurants in Decatur

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Las Brasas: Take home a simply delicious meal.

by rexvaughan Updated Jun 6, 2013

Good things sometimes come in small packages.

If you (or whomever cooks at your house) wants a break from meal prep, do yourself a favor and pick up dinner (or lunch) at Las Brasas!

This tiny place produces amazingly delicious food. It is mostly for take out, but not too long after it opened, it added a few tables and chairs, then later umbrellas, in the small space in front. It is owned and operated by a family whom, I presume, is of Peruvian origin since they bill their rotisserie chicken as Peruvian style.

There is a stir fried steak dish, but otherwise chicken is the only meat on the menu and it is all rotisserie roasted. In addition to quarter, half or whole chicken, you can get a chicken wrap or chicken salad.The side dishes feature, beans, rice, salad, guacamole with chips, corn, french fries (either regular or sweet potato), steamed veggies and flan.

Favorite Dish: My last visit was to take home chicken, guacamole, beans, salad and flan. Each dish was outstanding! The chicken is always tender, moist and delicious, the guacamole freshly made on the premises, the salad crisp fresh romain with tomatoes, cucumber and avocado and the sweet potato fries, fresh and cooked to perfection. The flan is about as good as I have ever eaten.

What is amazing is that every single item in our meal was simply outstanding.

• Godwit's Profile Photo

Madras Saravana Bhavan: Authentic south indian food

by Godwit Updated Jan 10, 2012
    Authentic south indian food

My very reason for visiting Atlanta is Saravana Bhavan which is by far the best in US for authentic south indian food. Ambience is good and service prompt. Except huge crowd and wait time during holidays.

try the 14 Idli Sambar and filter Coffee, it brings back memories of good old Madras..

• dustmon's Profile Photo

The Iberian Pig: Great Meat shop!

by dustmon Written Nov 2, 2011

Meat anyone?

Here are some choices from The Pig----
    cured spanish sausage, Jamon Iberico, manchego cheese plate, pork cheek tacos, veal shank ravioli, wild boar sausage meatballs, lamb ribs, and more for the meat lover---pigs ears, bone marrow and lots of goodies---definitely recommended....

Favorite Dish: Lots of small plates

• Wine Tasting

Our Way Cafe: Home cooking with a twist

by dustmon Written Nov 2, 2011

Our Way Cafe

From meatloaf mondays to Salmon Loaf fridays, loads of fresh veggies (some vegetarian style--no meat) casseroles, wine/beer, and homemade desserts all at a good price.
    Mon-Fri 11-8
    some saturdays

Favorite Dish: veggie plate

• Wine Tasting

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Batdorf and Bronson: Local coffee and donuts!

by dustmon Written Oct 29, 2011

donuts...MMMMMMM.

Great coffee along with local-made donuts can be hard to beat-----the service can be a little slow but perfection needs a little time, eh? Good for takeout as well as lounging on the sofas and chairs provided....

Favorite Dish: Cappuccino and a donut

• Singles

Ted's Montana Grill: Bison and Beef

Bison time!

Ted Turner started this chain of excellent steak houses selling his Bison grown out in Montana on his ranches. The house made pickles are great, the drinks are usually good and strong, and I love bison burgers and the bison meatloaf, but they have good beef too. Try the onion rings!
    open til 11 fridays and saturdays

Favorite Dish: Bison burger and onion rings!

• Business Travel

• dustmon's Profile Photo

The Chocolate Bar: Chocolate and alcohol!

The Chocolate Bar Decatur

Some really cool drinks along with the area's best chocolate maker, this is the place to come after a movie date, or the theater for a passionfruit mojito/lemon-ginger martini/portuguese sling and a small or large dessert plate....sherbets, soufflees, bonbons and more for your dark cravings!

Favorite Dish: Chocolate soufflee

• Luxury Travel

Brick Store Pub: Great local Pub

by dustmon Updated Oct 27, 2011

Brick Store Pub

Good food consistently and a great selection of beers and ciders on tap make this spot a local favorite. Small in size, but the food is great including the house made pickles with house made crackers, country chicken pate (MMM), white bean hummus, and more---definitely recommended.

Favorite Dish: Shepherd Pie

• School Holidays

Sweet Melissa's: Great breakfasts and catering

sweet Melissa's

Great omelets, pancakes and waffles, as well as burgers, melts and lots of cool sides like cole slaw, grits, cold noodles and much more. A cool spot on the Square.
    fresh squeezed OJ and lemonade!

Favorite Dish: Bavarian Waffle

Raging Taco/Burrito: Tacos and Burritos

Raging Tacos/Burritos

A dual location, tacos on one side and burritos on the other----famous in the area for community participation, they also have good food!
    Also quesadillas and chili---they have lots of local beers on tap and in bottles.

• School Holidays

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Cakes and Ale: More than just the name!

Cakes and Ale

Here are some of the pickins at C&A-----
    fresh oysters on the half shell, potato gnocchi, short ribs, squab, roast trout, long beans, padron peppers, and lots more---all freshly prepared from fresh ingredients.
    Check out the menu online---

Favorite Dish: padron peppers

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Cafe Alsace: Friendly and Warm

by riorich55 Updated Sep 11, 2011
    Front Entrance

After VT member Rex Vaughan and I made contact he invited me to have dinner in his home town at a wonderful little restaurant. Rex and his wife Sacra have been here a number of times and when they and I entered they were greeted like family by both our server for the evening, Christel and the chef Scot. We arrived shortly before 7:00 p.m. and awaited another VTer, Chris (Balfor).

While we waited for Chris we shared a bottle of red wine that Rex ordered and had the house speciality, chicken liver pate. I'm not a big lover of liver, but as Rex promised this is the best liver pate he has ever tasted among all his world travels and it is right in his backyard (ok, maybe 5 blocks away from where he lives, but that's close enough). And it was delicious. Check out the 2nd and 3rd pictures of our server Chirstel pouring us a glass of wine and the wonderful pate.

Around 8:00 Chris hadn't yet arrived, so we ordered our dinner.

Favorite Dish: Restaurants that put their daily specials on a chalkboard or white board always attract my attention. I probably shouldn't even look at the regular menu, because once I see the specials they always are well written and look so darn gooooooood!! Cafe Alsace was no exception to this rule. They had several specials of the day along with a couple of special deserts. I got up from our table in the back to take a closer look at the white board with the specials which was on one of the side walls. I then read the menu back to Rex and Sacra and when I saw the deserts I asked Christel jokingly if we could start with those.

I ordered the chicken crepe with sundried cherries, polenta, feta with green beans and salad. You'll see this delicious meal in picture 4. I usually never finish a full meal at a restaurant and got about 2/3 through this huge crepe before I had to stop to make sure I had room for desert. Fortunately my hotel room had a frig, so 2 days later I was able to again enjoy the evenings meal this time for lunch.

I should mention that Chris arrived just after we placed our order and he was able to finish off the last few bites of the pate that we hadn't devoured and order his meal. We then had Christel take another set of VT meeting pictures with all 4 of us.

Now on to desert. They were both very yummy looking, but I always have loved bread pudding ever since my great grandmother used to make it when I was growing up so I opted for it. The bread pudding had raspberries, blueberries and apples and was served with a caramel sauce. And to top it off (actually again it wasn't topped off, but on the side) was an indescribably, out of this world (maybe universe or galaxy even) homemade honey and lavender ice cream. Picture #5 shows the dessert which of course I finished off.

All in all a great night with 3 new friends.

I'm going to post the other Cafe Alsace pictures I took in a little travelogue for Decatur.

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

Sapori di Napoli: Real Neopolitan pizza comes to Decatur

by rexvaughan Written Sep 8, 2011
    One of the brothers and father

I have never been to Naples, but what I had for lunch here tasted like what I imagine real Neopolitan pizza should be. Well the two owners, Daniele and Ambrogio Florio were born in Naples and raised on the Almafi coast so I am probably right. I like lots of kinds of pizza, but this is some of the best I have eaten. The Saliccia e Funghi has a thin crust with a bit of crunch and is very nicely topped with San Marzano tomatoes, bufala mozzarella, mushrooms and sausage. All nicely blended without any one overpowering the flavors. We started with an insalata mista sapori which is mixed greens, tomato, avocado, black olives, mixed nuts and goat cheese dressed with a balsamic vinegar and oil. Fresh, crisp and tasty.

A bonus is that it is pretty much a bargain as my wife, son and I shared both the salad and the pizza and were well satisfied. So, with soft drinks, we had lunch for 3 for just over $30 including tax and tip.

They also feature several pasta dishes and desserts which look tempting, as well as some panini lunch specials. Will explore the menu further next time.

This is a great addition to downtown Decatur.

The Golden Buddha: Lovely ambience, good food, bargain prices

by rexvaughan Written Sep 8, 2011

The Golden Buddha is something of a local institution. We have lived in this area for 40 years and it was here when we came. Their website says that it fell on hard times several years ago and that the quality of the food diminished greatly. However, the current owner has it right in my opinion. The exterior of the place is pretty mundane but the interior is a delight. The windows are graced by beautiful painted glass, the ceiling with lovely painted mirrors and the two areas of the dining room divided by a very attractive carved filigree wooden archway. Unfortunately, I took some photos with my phone but had inadvertently set it on video, and they are too large to download.

Favorite Dish: You could say the menu is pretty much like Chinese Restaurant menus everywhere, but it is one of the most extensive I have seen. We opted for a special dinner for two: egg rolls, sizzling rice soup, rice, sweet and sour chicken, Mandarin beef, a pot of tea and glazed bananas for dessert. We also shared a small carafe of sake just for atmosphere. The food was delicious and there were mountains of it. And, to my surprise the cost for the two of us was $35 including tax and tip.
    It had been a few years since we dined here, but we will be back in the near future.

Noodle: Good Pan Asian fare

by rexvaughan Updated Sep 7, 2011

Noodle has been in Decatur for about 10 years. In a town of 4 square miles and 90 restaurants, cafes, etc., that indicates that they are well liked. I am not an expert on Pan Asian cuisine and much of it is not really my cup of tea, but what I have had here is very good and the service is always courteous, professional, timely and friendly. The prices are not bad either as most entrees are under $10.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the simple, but delicious Masaman Chicken with salad, a brown coconut curry sauce, cashews and avocado. I also really like the Thai Beef Salad – grilled flank steak on mixed greens with tomatoes, cucumbers and peanuts. The interior is an inviting atmosphere of sleek blond wood tables and décor and there is a nice outdoor seating area – nice for people watching in the heart of Decatur.

Hours:
    M - Th : 11-10
    Fri : 11-11
    Sat : 12-11
    Sun : 12-10

Instant Answers: Decatur

Comments

Decatur Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Decatur restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Decatur sightseeing.