Helen Restaurants

Paul's on the river

Most Recent Restaurants in Helen

The Troll Tavern: Nice Location, Lousy Food

by jmpncsu Written May 5, 2014

The Troll Tavern is a bar and restaurant appropriately located under the Main Street bridge over Chattahoochee River right in downtown Helen. Given the cute name and scenic location, my wife and I stopped here for dinner while staying in Helen. The outdoor seating is nice and the views of the river were very pretty. That's about all I can nice about this place. The food is really overpriced and not good at all and the service was lousy. I had a cheeseburger, which was average, but overpriced, especially considering I had to pay extra for fries (who gets a burger without fries?). And it took nearly 30 minutes to get ketchup for those super-premium fries that were cold by the time the waitress bothered to bring ketchup. My wife got a chicken wrap. Well, it was supposed to have chicken I guess. More like a rolled up pita with a couple pieces of lettuce a few tiny pieces of shredded chicken. We could have bought pre-made sandwiches at the grocery store and had a much better meal for a fraction of the cost. The service was incredibly slow despite there only being a couple of other customers and multiple servers on. Overall, a very poor dining experience and we would never eat here again. If you're just looking to have a (overpriced) drink down by the river, this might be a decent place, but there are plenty of other restaurants in Helen with much better food and service.

View from the Outdoor Seating Area

Hofer's of Helen: Great Breakfast

by jmpncsu Written Apr 17, 2014

Our first morning in Helen, we asked the motel staff for a recommendation for breakfast and he suggested Hofer's. So we gave it a try and were very pleased. In fact, we ate breakfast here every morning during our week in Helen. The service was friendly and prompt and the food was very good. I had the Belgian waffles for breakfast, alternating between strawberry and blueberry topping, and my wife had the Mountain Climber's breakfast. We both really enjoyed our food and ended up getting basically the same thing every morning. The portions were a good size, so we weren't hungry again in another hour. I can't comment on anything besides breakfast, because we never ate any other meals here. Besides the cafe, they also have a bakery with various pastries and treats and German souvenirs. The desserts looked really good and we were planning to get some to bring back with us, but we didn't have any room when we left Helen. It was definitely a good spot for breakfast and I'm glad the guy at the motel front desk recommended it to us.

Cowboys & Angels: Good American Food in Helen

by jmpncsu Written Apr 17, 2014

We visited Helen during the off-season and a lot in the town was closed or on limited hours. We found Cowboys & Angels our first night and had a good experience, so we also ate here again before we left. Helen has a German/Bavarian theme, so most of the restaurants serve this type of food. I'm not really a fan, so it was nice to find a place that served American food. The first night we ate here, both of us had the chicken salad and the second time, we both had the Avocado Burger, me with beef and my wife with bison. All of our meals were good and the service was good as well. The prices are a little high, but not too bad considering the whole town is a bit of a tourist trap. It was good enough that we returned for a second dinner and would eat here again the next time we visit Helen. This is definitely a good spot in Helen if you don't care much for German food.

Favorite Dish: Avocado Burger was really good - a cheeseburger with avocados and guacamole. Can't go wrong with that!

Hofer's Bakery: Hofer's Bakery

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 7, 2014

I loved this Bakery & Cafe..so much to choose from and they also have a dining room also and outside eating area (patio) Tony and I stopped here on Saturday April 5th..IT was a very nice and unique bakery. They also had a deli with fresh meats and cheeses and BIER!!!

You can get sliced meat and cheeses, or they can make you a sandwich. They also make some delicious breads and desserts. I could just eat my weight in sweets, cheeses and breads here!!!

I wish I had my cooler so I could have gotten some cheese and meats to take home with us. I loved this store and bakery...the home cooking smelled so good also!!!

Troll Tavern: Troll Tavern

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 6, 2014

Saturday April 5th, T
    Tony and I was walking around the Alpine Bavarian (faux Germany) village of Helen, Ga..enjoying the buzz of the tourist and their kids everywhere. I wish there was some Oompa music playing..tons of bars/restaurants and gift shops...lol !!!

To me it is Gatlinburg but with a Germany Theme...lol!!
    We went down the stairs to the waters edge near the bridge basin to the TROLL TAVERN bar and grill below the bridge area near the waters edge..People were wading in the cold water fishing and jumping on the rocks..too cold for my blood. Apparently, this is a high Tubing area in the summer..

There was no tables available outside so went inside the dark damp restaurant to the bar area...I ordered a soda..what is wrong with these people, even this soda is too watery to drink at $3 a glass...rip off!!!
    Tony ordered a draft pint of Murphy's Irish Stout...very very dark and bitter. I didn't like it at all. I couldn't drink that even if I had too..
    We finished our drinks and left...$11 for two drinks????? with taxes...what????
    No more Trolls Tavern for me...I will let the Tourist have it...

• Singles

Old Heidleberg

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 6, 2014

Saturday, April 5, 2014...Tony and I was visiting Helen, Georgia. Our first time and we loved it. Tony and I enjoyed the German Experience. This was Tony's first German experience. He didn't live in Germany like I did. I wasn't that impressed but I was very happy with the entire time. Reminded me so much of Gatlinburg, Tennessee area but with a German Theme.

We parked at a city lot for $5 for the day and walked over to Helen Square to enjoy the live music from King Ludwig's Bier Garden below us. We climbed up the stairs to the German Restaurant above the bar. We took a city on the balcony and day/weather was excellent. The weather was a very mild and non breezy 68 degrees around noon.

We took a picnic style seating table on the balcony, Tony ordered a Warsteiner Dunkel Bier on draft and I took a soda ( too watered down for my liking) and then we ordered, I chose the Bratwurst with brotchen (bread) and Saurekraut with German stone grinded mustard and dill pickle spear and chips.. Tony ordered the same but with Knockwurst, Brotchen and saurekraut...We split the sandwiches and the Bratwurst was both of our favorites. The Knockwurst was good but Bratwurst best..

We sit there and listened to the country music they were playing in the bier garden below at King Ludwig...I wish it had been more authentic with Oompa music..but it was fun. I tasted the bier and it was very good..I am not a dark bier lover but it was really good.
    We went down to the bier garden below after we finished our food and drinks.

I would go here again!!! But, I would order something else next time maybe some Jager Schnitzel..Go and enjoy!!! Definitely a great place for bikers, drinkers and honeymooners..people had kids there, but NAW ...not the beat place for little kids...people get a baby sitter...

Tony drinking Warsteiner Dunkel Bier Warsteiner Dunkel Bier
    • Singles

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Paul's: Steaks and seafood on the river

by dustmon Written Sep 18, 2011

Looking over the Chattahoochee River, Paul's has steaks, salads and seafood and a great location for a romantic dinner for 2-----not inexpensive, but good value. Full bar.
    Kareoke on thursdays

Paul's on the river
    • Wine Tasting

Hofer's: Great Bakery/Cafe

by dustmon Updated Sep 18, 2011

Fresh baked bread from a master German baker---Ralph Hofer still runs the place.
    Breads, coffees, gifts and a cafe for meals---a real great place to eat when in Helen.
    Heartily recommended.
    They have Paulaner beer on tap!

Favorite Dish: Deli sandwiches and weinerschnitzl.

Hofers Bakery and cafe/Beirgarten

• dustmon's Profile Photo

The Troll Tavern: Under the Bridge!

by dustmon Written Sep 18, 2011

Under the bridge and on the Chattahoochee River, The Troll has German, Mexican, seafood, chicken and lots more---full bar with special Troll drinks----a fun place!
    open sun-thu 11 to 11 fri-sat 11 to 12 (kitchen closes at 10)
    Entertainment some nights-----

The Troll Tavern
    • Beer Tasting

• Beau's Diner: Wonderful!

by phr0gor Written Oct 27, 2010

Beau's is a very special place! Great atmosphere and cool staff.. The food is the best in this area! There is a great new special everyday! Burgers, Cajun style dishes, italian, german meatloaf, etc... Traveling celebrities eat here, too!

Favorite Dish: Cajun Styled Po-Boys, Inside-out burger, Giant 2 lb Excaliber hamburger

Beau's Diner - Cleveland / Helen, GA Excaliber Hamburger - Beau's diner Excaliber Challenge details - Beau's Diner Inside-Out Cheese Burger - Beau's Diner
    • Music

• doug48's Profile Photo

north georgia bar-b-cue: excellent bar-b-cue

by doug48 Written Jul 2, 2009

the north georgia bar-b-cue company is an excellent bar-b-cue restaurant in helen. when i travel around the state of georgia i try to sample as many bar-b-cue joints as i can. i would rate the north georgia bar-b-cue company in the top 10 in the state.

north georgia bar-b-cue
    • Architecture
    • National/State Park

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Wendell's Country Restaurant: SAutee Country Fare

by BruceDunning Updated Apr 16, 2009

If VT fixes the problem for upload of pics, I will add some.
    Located right in the middle of little Sautee community. It is next to the Old Sautee Store to shop for local goods and some foreign. The menu offers sandwiches and specialty plates. SAndwiches are normal type, and the plates are more Southern food tastes

Favorite Dish: BAr B Que may be the more popular item to select. Though they have country fried steak, one of my favorites too. Sandwiches range $5-7, and the plates $7-8.Open only 7-3 WEd-Sunday

Sign with restaurant behind

• thead's Profile Photo

Brown Bagging

by thead Updated Mar 2, 2009

I have already posted this tip in the "General Tip" section, but as it applies to resturants, I felt I should post it here as well.

Unless the resturant you are going to is located in the city limits of Helen you may need to plan ahead if you want wine or beer with you dinner.

White County where Helen is located, has just begun issuing beer and wine licenses for business located in the unincorporated areas of the county. Started Jan 2009

If they do not have a license yet, most all of the resturants outside the Helen city limits will allow you to "brown bag". For those of you unfamiliar with that term, it means you can bring your own beer and wine. The resturant's generally charge you a $3 "cork" fee.

So plan ahead before you go to dinner outside of Helen. In addition to the resturants in town, there are some GREAT resturants just outside the city limits: Edelweiss, Nachochee Valley Guest House, Stoval House and Nachochee Grill are a few of them.

• thead's Profile Photo

Cafe La Piazza: Great Italian food

by thead Updated Mar 2, 2009

This is a small intiment resturant with excellent food. It will only seat around 20 people. The owner is the chef (Horacio Miranda) and as a result of the small nature of the resturant all meals are individually prepared. The menu is quite extensive, considering the size of the resturant. Everything I have tried so far has been excellent.

One tip - the meals are nice size and can easily feed two average people. Don't tell them you want to share or they will split the dinner and bring it on two plates and charge an extra $8. Simply share it with each other at the table.

Favorite Dish: They have a speciality dish "Chicken Sinatra" that is my favorite. It is two chicken breast covered with a rich sauce. The sauce has garlic, artichokes, peppers and onions. It comes with a side a pasta (as do most dishes) and bread.

My wife and I usually order the Sinatra and a Ceasar salad and share them.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Dillard House: Family Style EAting-in Dillard

by BruceDunning Updated Feb 5, 2009

The presentation was good, with about 7-8 vegetable dishes, and 3-4 meats. For dessert, they offered apple cobbler with ice cream. The meals are family style and the restaurant serves as much as you want to eat. People rave over the food, and many come from Atlanta to eat here, just for a day ride. Price is set at $18.95 an adult person, fixed. That is for lunch or dinner times.
    The Dillard is a complex of restaurant, chalet village for 25 cottages and 70 rooms, and trails to hike in the area, horse riding, and all amenities as swimming pool tennis courts, etc. The Dillards' have controlled the area since 1794 when 1,000 acres was granted after the Revolutionary War. In 1917, Carrie Dillard started the house for boarding. Later they expanded the restaurant and it all became a destination point, and basically the only large complex for 30-40 miles.

Favorite Dish: I would say the country ham is my normal favorite choice because it is hard to find around Kansas City. Dillard also features the country ham as a specialty in shipping around the country. I have had better family style food, probably none better than the Mom from north Georgia, who knew how to cook a good home style meal and it was very tasty.
    Dillard has mail order packages of ham, jams, honey, various other items from the South and various gift baskets. The ham starts in price of around $7.00 a lb. and goes up from there. The baskets are $13-$80 depending of the items included. The items are fairly expensive; like a jar of jam for $5.00.

Front entrance to restaurant and room check in Menu items displayed Table setting of the food Brochure of the restaurant Gifts are avialable from here to ship
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Helen

Comments

Helen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Helen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Helen sightseeing.