Jekyll Island Restaurants

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

The Rah Bar: Laid Back Restaurant on Wharf

by charlenemixa Written Jun 9, 2014

Rah Bar on wharf at Jekyll Island

Good food but very laid back. You are on the wharf and it is a very casual setting but relaxing overlooking the water and marshes. We really enjoyed as casual lunch here sitting outside on the wharf with magnificent views of the water and the Island. They had a good selection of sandwiches and lunch items on our visit.

We recommend as good lunch place at a good price. Plus it is just across the street from the Jekyll Island Club. It would be great for afternoon cocktails, too to watch the sunset!

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Courtyard at Crane: Relaxing & Upscale Dining

by charlenemixa Written Jun 9, 2014

Courtyard at Crane Cottage

Built by Richard T. Crane, heir to the Crane plumbing fortune, the Crane Cottage is Italianate villa architecture. In 1924 the Architectural Record stated it was “the most expensive and elegant winter home ever built on Jekyll Island.” The cottage is now part of the Jekyll Island Club Hotel featuring the Courtyard at Crane restaurant and several guest rooms.

We had an excellent three course meal from the "early bird" special. Excellent food and service. Guests will find good choices and plenty of tasty food. Take time after dinner to stroll the grounds and see the courtyard. After a full day of walking, touring and more, we were glad to be able to just walk to the restaurant and have a leisurely evening.

• Hiking and Walking

• Tandybaby's Profile Photo

Fins on the Beach: Shrimp and Grits. Yuuuummmmmm...

by Tandybaby Written Jun 26, 2011

First, let me just say that I had the shrimp and grits at the excellent Jekyll Island Beach Club a few days before (it was excellent). Fins had a lot to live up to. However, they completely removed the previous meal from my memory. Wow. Tons of flavor, spicy and savory. Wonderful. And most shocking of all? There was CHEESE in the dish. Parmesan. Cheese and seafood is on of the deadly sins, I believe. But they pulled it off. If I could have licked my bowl, I would have.

Everyone in our party had a wonderful meal, and the waiter (sorry, I forget his name) was friendly, quick, and nice to my kids.

If it's not too hot, I recommend the beachfront dining outdoors. In the evening especially, the view over the ocean is incredible. They don't apparently take reservations, so plan accordingly.

Shane's Ribshack BBQ: Brunswick Best BBQ

by BruceDunning Written Jun 8, 2011

Plate of BBQ meats

It was some of the best tasting BBQ I have had in a while, and that includes KC, famed for its BBQ. The pork sandwich and beef I ordered were both very good and in depth taste of smoked meats. The sauces compliment the meat well. A rack of ribs was $20, and Micky had that. The atmosphere was nothing special, but that was okay because the good food made up for it.

Favorite Dish: The ribs were so very good tasting and the sauces were special, but plain meat that was smoked was the real treat

Jinright's: Brunswick Old Fishcamp joint

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 8, 2011

Roadside view

The food was basically okay, but not that good. It was apparently prepared ahead of time for the fried items, and the catfish were cool and that makes it more greasy than normal. YOu have to maneuver around picking out the bones because they come whole, and each may be about 1/3 pound.

It was a recommended place by a local, but I think its day has passed by, except that locals get used to the food without complaint. Service by the waitresses was mundane, and they had been there way too long, so the routine was boring for them.

Favorite Dish: The catfish plates come with one of more; so I chose three. It was filling enough, but

Wee Nee Wagon: Hot Dogs In Brunswick are Famous

by BruceDunning Written Jun 8, 2011

View of the building

Hot dogs is the main feature-but a apparently lot of local people like the porkchop sandwich. All I read had rave reviews for this fast food (of sorts) place. People come from miles around and many out of state people have heard of the place and stop while driving along US 95.

Open 10-10 Tue-Sat

Favorite Dish: The cheese dog was very tasty, with great depth in flavors rather than the old traditional taste of a balony dog in casing

Spank'ys: In Brunswick-the locals hangout

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 8, 2011

Inside of restaurant

This is the place where locals come and drink beer and get a meal. A lot of them are families, so it is not just a youth hangout. The burgers must be the more popular, but they also have chicken, pasta, and seafood array to select from. Prices are reasonable, and the burgers run about $7.75-$.8.95, and Micky had the blacked grouper for $8.95. Steaks and seafood cost more, or course at $16-20 range, or market for scarce seafood

Favorite Dish: The hamburger was very good, and the beef high quality, while there was a load of fries. Beer was reasonable at $3 a pint

• The Rah Bar: RAH Beauty!

by HavaMintJulep Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mt Husband and I adore this place! We visited for our honeymoon in August of 2009 (a rainy weekend for the Beach Bash). Early Saturday morning we took a bike ride to the Rah bar hoping for shrimp and grits. They were not yet open, but we did have the pleasure of watching the shrimp boat bring in fresh shrimp (chatted with the captain, watched Trey the alligator scope out any unwanted fish as the shrimpers cleaned out their nets). We hung around the historic district for a few hours, waiting for the Rah bar to open. First in line for a seat on the pier, we ordered a couple of pounds of "u peel 'em shrimp" which comes with a delectable buffalo sauce, a bloody mary for me, and a beer for my husband. Omigosh, the food was fabulous, fresh, and we watched as their pier seating quickly filled up, while the pleasant, cheerful wait staff ran back and forth to the kitchen on even a dreary rainy day.

You MUST eat here!

Latitude 31: Great location on the wharf

by rexvaughan Updated Apr 4, 2011

The main dining room

Maybe I am dealing in the irrelevant but when I see a name like Latitude 31, I want to know where the name came from. Evidently this restaurant sits pretty much at 31 degrees latitude north. At any rate it is a pretty good place to eat. I found the food quite good and it is hard to beat the setting on the wharf at Jekyll overlooking the Jekyll River and the Marshes of Glynn. In my opinion, it is not a beautiful place as the décor is definitely minimal, but it is not ugly either. Our service was pretty good and the prices, while a bit more than some other places on the island, are not unreasonable. This restaurant also has the Rah Bar behind it (see my review of the Rah) and is a sister to the Driftwood Bistro at Villas by the Sea which is the best place I have found on the island (haven’t been to all of them yet).

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious spinach salad with candied pecans and mushrooms. I don’t know what the dressing was but it was light and delicious. My main course was James pasta which had fresh diced tomatoes and artichokes and topped with nice grilled chicken (blackened chicken was an option) and accompanied by their house bread with garlic butter. All of it was delicious.

• Golf
    • Beaches
    • Photography

RAH Bar: Fresh seafood on the river

by rexvaughan Updated Apr 4, 2011

It is too chilly out here!

The RAH Bar is a hole in the wall kind of place nestled behind Latitude 31 on the Jekyll wharf. Insided it will seat maybe 8 people at the most but there is ample seating on the dock overlooking the Jekyll River and the marshes. The day we were there it was too cold for outside dining but the smallness of the place makes it almost mandatory that you converse with other visitors. The menu is not extensive but what we had was really good and they seem to have a really good rep for mixed drinks. The bar seems to be associated with Latitude 31 which is adjacent and also quite good. I want to return for a drink and a snack during warmer weather to watch the sun set over the marsh and possibly catch a glimpse of some of the wild life that is so abundant there.

Favorite Dish: The prices are not exorbitant but about $20 for a low country boil seemed a bit much so my wife and I shared one. It was plenty of food and really good – shrimp, crawfish, sausage, crab legs, corn and potatoes and all washed down with a Newcastle Brown Ale. I am not a fan of raw (or rah which I think is taken for the “snow-birds” pronunciation of it) oysters but one of the guys at the bar really relished them so they must be good.

• Worth The Wait!

by HavaMintJulep Written Jul 14, 2010

I have spent summers on Jekyll Island since I was a child, and the height of the trip was always dinner at Latitude 31. Last year, for our honeymoon, my husband and I continued the tradition with the final meal of our visit at this restaurant, and unlike others in the area I remember from my childhood, this one has remainded true to memory. The sky was clouded and the air was so thick we felt as though we were dog paddling through lava just to get to the end of the pier. Once inside, the air was cool, crisp, bright, friendly. The staff welcomed us, and after a quick drink at the bar with the locals, settled us into our table with a beautiful view of the sunset. The waitress was superb, efficiently refilling our drinks, knowledgeable about the menu and preparation of the food, and extremely accomodating to special dietary needs. The minimalistic setting of this restaurant is perfect for the view (anything more would over power it).

Once our orders arrived, they were not only beautiful upon presentation, but steaming fresh, and cooked to perfection! This restaurant is a MUST VISIT for your trip to Jekyll Island.

• Blackbeard's: Drowning Restaurant!

by HavaMintJulep Written Jul 14, 2010

From the Upcountry of South Carolina, I have grown up vacationing on Jekyll Island. One of my first memories as an adult is visiting with my first "true beau". Blackbeard's has always been a staple on our family visits, and I reccomended this restraunt as a "night out". We ordered the low country boil and had a blast. That was almost 10 years ago. Last year, my husband and I spent our honeymoon on Jekyll Island, and lo and behold, found ourselves at Blackbeard's. The wait staff was too busy to take our order (too busy socializing, as we, and three other couples seated outside, along with the few meanderers at the bar, were the only ones there). When our order was taken, I had to go inside to ask for a refill of water (it had been 30 minutes since we'd seen our waiter), and when the bar tender refilled our glasses, they allowed me to carry them back outside to our table (as a southern gal, I found that extremely rude). Our food finally arrived after a 45 minute wait (I ordered a crabcake served on an English Muffin, which had delicious flavor, but was so cold, the sauce had soggied the "toasted dark" english muffin I had ordered). On a side note, after our food was delivered (at the same time as the other two tables around us...the waiter must have been too tired from his partying the night before at the Beach festival...as I'd overheard when I was requesting more water earlier...), he never brought us silverware (or the couples at the other tables. I literally had to go back inside to request silverware from the bar, for ourselves and the other tables, and when the bartender handed me ours, and the four other sets, there was no apology, no rush to fix it, just "here ya go", and a back turned to commiserate with the patrons sitting at the bar.

Long story short, I was extremely saddened and disappointed that a place I'd grown up looking forward to for a good meal could let me down so fiercely.

• seajays: skip seajays

by mshell0809 Updated Jul 1, 2010

the drive up the the restaurant was nice, and the outside looked very promising. Once we walked in we noticed how close the tables were to each other and really killed the atmosphere. Expect your drinks to come in small paper cups and you will be lucky to get refills. There is an 18% gratuity charge for parties over six, and don't expect your order to be right.

Favorite Dish: I had the shrimp crosiant and the flavor was overwhelming I only ate about a fourth of it and was done, it came with a pasta salad that had no flavor. My husband had a shrimp bbq saute' that he said tasted only like the ton of bacon covering the dish. My mother was unhappy with the crab cakes, and my dad didn't eat but one of his ribs. My sister had a glass of water that not only tasted fishy but smelled it too.

The Driftwood Bistro: A treasure of a find on the island

by rexvaughan Updated Feb 28, 2010

This restaurant has a new name and new menu and the change is wonderful. They now serve only dinnr and it is great. It is basically the "house restaurant" for Villas by the Sea but went far beyond my expectations. From the size of the crowds we saw there each evening, the word is out. One of the nice features is that they have not only "regular" plates, but "petite" entrees as well which are just the right size for me and of course are less expensive. Also, they featue $10 bottles of wine which, if you don't finish it, you can take it with you. I think some patrons were avoiding a trip to the beverage store by taking 2 or 3 partial bottles with them. Wine experts might wince at this but we found some quite to our liking.

We went the first night and then again the next night - it is that good.

Favorite Dish: I had some of tghe best stuffed flounder I have encountered - flaky sweet flounder stuffed with a rich crab meat and topped with a leek cream. Wonderful choices of sides included Lynn's (the maitre'd) squash casserole which is a creamy mixtue of zuchinni and summer squash baked with a nice bread crumb topping. Two of our party of 4 had it both nights and the other two on the second night. Good desserts included a dark and rich "chocolate lava cake" a la mode and Georgia boubon peach cobbler also topped with ice cream. I was not impressed with the key lime pie (I am VERY picky about key lime pie) although the others liked it.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

BlackBeard's Restaurant: Grab a bite to eat

by tpangelinan Updated Apr 25, 2008

View of Restaurant from ocean

We ate at a BlackBeard's Restaurant in Albany Georgia and we loved the food and service was top notch it must be a chain because there is one on Jekyll Island too. The menu is huge, with everything you can think of from BBQ to Italian to American and so on. This PLace is right on the water with views to die for.

Instant Answers: Jekyll Island

Comments

Jekyll Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Jekyll Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jekyll Island sightseeing.

View all Jekyll Island hotels