the stewart county academy was founded in 1831. in 1842 it was renamed the lumpkin independent academy. in 1885 the academy was bought by e. m. sheram and was used as a carriage factory, general store, and fire house. since 1885 the second floor of the building is home to lumpkin's masonic lodge.
the stewart county courthouse was built in 1923 and was designed by architect t. f. lockwood. the stewart county courthouse is listed on the national register of historic places. this beautiful neoclassical building is worth a look when lumpkin.
dr. hatchett's drug store museum has an interesting collection of apothecary relics and old drug store items. the drug store museum is worth a look for those interested in history and southern culture. see the attached web site for more information.