Mountain City Travel Guide

Louie's on the Lake Italian food
    Black Rock Mountain State Park Oct 2013
  • Roadside view shortly before entering Mt City
    Roadside view shortly before entering Mt...

Mountain City Things to Do

by myaggie2 Written Nov 14, 2013

Haven't been yet been it's in my plans. The Foxfire books inspired me back in the 90s to lead a life without electricity and plumbing etc. which I did for about 6 years. It was the healthiest time of my life.

Roadside view shortly before entering Mt City

by myaggie2 Written Nov 14, 2013

Loved the small town feel, yet just large enough to have wonderful amenities. Will return often Park is closed in winter which is my favorite time for photo shoots. But plan on returning often anyway. In a nutshell: Gorgeous outdoor life, but there is much to learn of Appalachian history here too. Returning for that!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Black Rock Mountain State Park

by goingsolo Written Aug 5, 2005

The two main trails in the park are the Tennessee Rock Trail and the Edmonds trail. The first is a 2 mile trail that leads to a great overlook and a series of boulders that are popular spots for sunbathing. That's what the ranger told me anyway. No one sunbathes during a Georgia heat wave so I skipped this one.

The second trail is a 7 mile backcountry trail. This trail runs alongside a stream and the granite cliffs. Since I'd seen cliffs earlier that morning and that heat wave was alive and well, bringing temperatures soaring to about 100 degrees, it wasn't a backcountry day either.

Anyone interested in these trails or learning more about the terrain should stop by the visitor's center and pick up an interpretive trail map. There's a small charge for the map, but you will find lots of information about the area and the trails.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

Mountain City Restaurants

Louie's on the Lake Italian food

by myaggie2 Written Nov 14, 2013

The owners themselves give you personal attention. The chef found a way to include spinach with my ravioli though they had sold out of their spinach ravioli -- and mine was fantastic. I tried a new dish (for me) from their appetizers. I can't remember what it was but it was even better than my ravioli. They owners make you feel like you are entertained in their own home while serving the best Italian food I've had in at least 10 years. And I eat Italian often.

Favorite Dish: Everything I ate here was my favorite. But the overall fave I can't remember. When (not if) I eat there again I'll correct that and include it here.

Mountain City Favorites

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Black Rock Mountain State Park

by goingsolo Written Aug 5, 2005

Favorite thing: From the highway, its about 5 miles to the entrance of the park. Its a pretty drive up a steep winding road. There are pullouts along the highway and the views get better as the road climbs higher. The picture was taken at one of the overlooks near 3000 feet. On a clearer day, the Blue Ridge Mountains can be seen in the distance.

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: Mountain City

Comments

Mountain City Travel Guide
Map of Mountain City