On the 21st day of July 1909, by and between JOHN P. PETTYJOHN & COMPANY of LYNCHBURG, VIRGINA and The Southern Railway Company to build a Combination Depot at Norcross in the State of Georgia, for the sum total amount of Four Thousand, Seven Hundred Fifty ($4750.00) Dollars. Eventually the Southern Railway depot was donated to the city by Norfolk Southern in 1983.
Now she serves as a restaurant with lots of great food, service and lovely decor. Lots of historic photographs cover the walls. So stop in and say hi!
This lovely mansion is just another beautiful southern home list on National Register of Historical Homes. It is a stately 1835 manor that has beautiful grand ballroom with French doors, it sits atop a tree-covered knoll overlooking a charming collection of outdoor “garden rooms. There too cater to wedding parties. The back building you see in the photo use to be the original kitchen. They often had the kitchens is a separate buildings during the 1800's because of the fear of fires. Now this building serves as storage.
They have inside the rotunda of Norcrosses City Hall a museum dedicated to the Norcross Baseball Hall of Fame that has many displays of local baseball memorabilia including a vintage uniform, autographed bats and balls, several fine trophies, and much more. If you head over to Lillian Webb Field you can stroll the original playing field, now and read a sign marking the distance of the longest recorded homerun, 618 feet, hit July 4, 1929 in Oakland California by Home town hero, Roy Carlyle. He was raised in Norcross and ran a local business up until his death. He is buried in the Norcross City cemetery, located across Buford Highway and within view of the ball field, along with other turn of the century Hall of Fame notables.
The museum is open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
Built as early as the 1880's, this lovely cottage style home is being still loved and lived in. Norcross has many wonderful historical homes within the community. Just walk around and you will see. In front of the homes they have markers either in the front the yard or it may grace the front on the fence.
This lovely home is one of many beautiful historical homes being loved and during the Holiday Seasons, they sometimes open them up for tours. The Davenport House was considered a contemporary design when it was built in 1887. Although, Victorian designs were the rage at the time, the builder decided towards an American Foursquare with features that were very simple and straightforward. Twenty years later in 1906, the owners at the time commissioned the original millwrights to add the second level. It is simple beautiful.
Gwinnett County Fire Station No. 1 in downtown Norcross marks the location of Gwinnett’s first fire station and includes a fire museum building displaying fire services memorabilia Stone and brick veneer colors and accent details on these two structures are reminiscent of railroad stations and the rich history. It was not open that day, but your welcome to look inside from the windows and see some really wonderful historic firetrucks.
National Register of Historical Places – The City of Norcross
The Norcross Historic District has been preserved as a 19th century railroad town, and its historical significance was recognized by the US Department of Interior through its listing on the National Register of Historic Places November 21, 1980. The Norcross Historic District sits along the eastern continental divide, which played a significant role in the early transportation and settlement of the area. Originally, the Creek and Cherokee Indians occupied this land and the ridgeline was used as a major transportations route. Two American forts were established in the early 1800's Fort Daniel at Hog Mountain and Peachtree Fort in Atlanta. These two forts were connected by this old Indian trail which became known as the original Peachtree Road. Around 1840, this trail had evolved into a stagecoach route connecting South Carolina and Alabama through Georgia. In 1856 Jonathan Norcross, a former Atlanta Mayor, proposed the creation of the Richmond-Danville railroad to open up Northeast Georgia. On September 12, 1869 the first twenty miles of railroad was completed. On October 16, 1869, John J. Thrasher bought the surrounding 250 acres and a town was born. The town was officially chartered by the Georgia General Assembly on October 26, 1870.
Norcross was chartered in 1870 through its founder, J.J. "Cousin John" Thrasher, and named for his good friend, Jonathon Norcross, the fourth mayor (1851) of Atlanta. "Cousin John" purchased tracts of land which he subdivided and sold as lots along the developing Richmond and Danville Railroad Line in Gwinnett County. The first train on this line ran to Atlanta in June 1870. Norcross was made an incorporated town by act of the State Legislature on October 26, 1870, and "Cousin John" was elected the first mayor. He laid out and donated a square of land for a park "so to be used for all time, never for industrial purposes of any kind." For a period of time the park became known as "Dodson Park" because Mr. Dodson, a superintendent of the railroad, had a pavilion built which was given to the city. The name was changed to "Thrasher Park" by unanimous act of the Norcross City Council on January 1, 1934. We pay deepest respect to "Cousin John" Thrasher whose name stays with us in our park, if not in the name of our town.
Originally chartered in 1833 by the Fairview Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, the church was originally located at the intersection of Beaver Ruin Road and Hopkins Mill Road on land donated by Thomas H. Jones and was known as the Goshen Presbyterian Church. Reverend John Simpson Wilson was the first pastor and also served the Fairview Church as well. He remained until 1844 when he was succeeded by Dr. James Patterson. Contemplating a union with the Methodist church around the corner, the Goshen church sold their land and building and built the existing facility in 1899. For reasons not recorded the union never materialized. Over time the name “Goshen Church” began to fade and the church became known as the Norcross Presbyterian Church. The church purchased a larger tract of land on Medlock Bridge Road in 1965 and has since relocated.
This lovely historical home was buildt around 1900. They are a business that caters to holding weddings. I am sure lots of history happened here.