Places to eat in Georgia

Most Viewed Restaurants in Georgia

• starship's Profile Photo

Great Southern Breakfast!: Papa Jack's Country Kitchen

by starship Updated Oct 8, 2013

On our last morning in Georgia, our relatives wanted to take us to one of their favorite local places for breakfast -- local but it took us a half hour to get there, LOL!! Admittedly, the exterior of Papa Jack's Country Kitchen restaurant is totally unappealing -- a generic storefront in a line of similar storefronts. However, once inside you really get the feeling of a southern, downhome place -- nothing fancy but comfortable and familiar.

We chose a wooden booth to sit in and then sauntered over to the small counter where customers can view breakfast items and pick whatever looks good to them:
    pancakes, scrambled eggs, hot & mild sausage, bacon, grits, biscuits, toast, ham, etc.
    Being a G.R.I.T.S. (Girl Raised in The South) myself, I picked a biscuit, bacon and grits (a part of the corn kernal) and everything was great and I am fairly picky. My husband and relatives chose the eggs, bacon, and biscuits (I'm the only one who likes grits) and all were satisfied.

While having our coffee and tea, I had a chance to look more closely at the interior of the restaurant and noticed several pieces of antique furniture, a potbelly stove (non-working), a blackboard with the day's menu written on it in chalk and several other interesting bits here and there. Lots of locals come here regularly. This is a place that if you have a meal here two or three times, the help knows you by name!

Favorite Dish: We came to Papa Jack's specifically for its breakfast, but I noticed the blackboard menu for the day and another sign that also listed dinner specials. I especially noticed one sign announcing that the restaurant was offering a "low country boil" on Fridays -- "low country" is considered the states of South Carolina and Georgia.

I would have loved to try the "low country boil" which is basically a one-pot meal consisting of potatoes, corn on the cob, shrimp, crab, and sausage seasoned usually with Old Bay seasoning and cooked in a huge steamer pot on the stove. The meal is meant to feed many people and is certainly a distinctive southern specialty as are several other "low country" recipes. This is not to say that other southern states don't have similar dishes. I am particularly fond of lots of southern dishes!!

• starship's Profile Photo

Cafe Aquaria Food Court: Surprisingly Good!

by starship Updated Oct 8, 2013

After spending a couple of hours trying to see the galleries and exhibits, we were ready for a break to get off our feet, and have a little something to eat. The Cafe Aquaria Food Court is located between the Cold Water Quest gallery and the Ocean Voyager gallery. Somewhat like the aquarium itself, the cafe/food court has several sections each offering a different type of food: burgers & fries and hot sandwiches; soups, baked potatoes, a huge salad bar, specialty salads, cold sandwiches; homemade pasta and brick oven pizzas; breakfast items and beverages; a special section just for healthy kid meals; and an excellent selection of bakery-quality desserts. Fresh fruit was also available.

We chose to split a small pizza ($6.75), soft drink ($1.75) and had a delicious piece of key lime pie and carrot cake ($2.50 - $3.00 ea). The pizza was excellent and we really liked the crust and the desserts were very good too. We noticed many people chose to put together their own salads at the salad bar but at 69 cents per ounce it was fairly expensive! But, the quality and freshness of the salad bar items was very appealing.

It was obvious that operators of the cafe did an excellent job in trying to offer health conscious food choices for the whole family. We all enjoyed our choices.

Favorite Dish: To be honest, all the food in the cafe looked very good. The salad bar seemed to be one of the favorite choices among visitors. But, the desserts looked (and tasted) so good that they were very difficult to resist!!

• Marchella007's Profile Photo

Alligator Soul: A Favorite When In Savannah

by Marchella007 Written Jun 16, 2011

The Appetizer Shrimp and Grits is the Best. The Alligator Soul House Salad is Awesome with their house dressing. I normally do not drink, but their cocktails are not pre-mixed chemical concoctions but they hand mix their drinks and infuse with some herbs. The skinny Margarita w/o sugar is great. The fish is always fresh. Great atmosphere. Below city street walk down staircase. What more can I say, do not miss this place while in Savannah. Treat yourself for at least one special meal.

• Salsa Con Sabor - Puerto Rican/Peruvian Restaurant: Do not miss going to this Carribean Spanish Rest.

by salsaconsabor Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is Puerto Rican and Peruvian. We have two chefs, each one with more than twenty years of cooking experience in their homelands.We mix the flavor of the Caribbean with the cuisine of Peru which gives the customer an incredibly wide selection of dishes. The restaurant has a Caribbean look and feeling with tropical hand drawings on its walls, tropical decorations and old salsa music playing in the background.

Favorite Dish: Peruvian Ceviche - Mix seafood marinated in lemon juice with corn and sweet potatoe.

Lomo Saltado- Beef strips marinated with soy sauce,fries,tomatoes and onions.

Mofongo - mashed plantaines severd with puerto rican rice,beans and oven roasted pork.

• Music

• Phildy's Profile Photo

Cuernavaca Grill: Mexican US style

by Phildy Updated Jun 16, 2010

A favourite of my partner, we visited this place twice while recently in the Atlanta area. I've tried Mexican in the US before and it's a big step up from waht we get in Australia, but my understanding is it isn't quite authentic..... who cares? When you get food as good as we got at Cuernavaca, you'll be in heaven.

The owner/operator of this little place puts everthing into satisfying his customers needs. We were looked after very well. I put this as one of the best Mexican food experiences in the US.

Cuernavaca is located north of Atlanta in Lawrenceville, not far from the Mall of Georgia.

Favorite Dish: The menu is on par with most Mexican places and I always go for a combination dish. I stuck with simpel stuff like burrito and enchilada while my fellow travellers had quesadilla and tostadas. All was great and very flavoursome. No after effects either, which is always nice.

Mine host even gave me a special margaritas!

• Phildy's Profile Photo

Galla Pizza: It's not all pizza and beer

by Phildy Written Jun 16, 2010

What a find! It's hard to believe that in this day of chain food stores, you can find a genuine pizza place. The food and service at Galla is fantastic. What amazed me about Galla was the freshness of the food. How many times do you eat pizza only to find your tongue and mouth are dry from over salting and the pizza sticks to the plate or box becasue of all the oil? Well at Galla, you won't get this. The pizzas are very tasty, light (well for pizza anyway) and won't leave you feeling bloated.

Galla is located to the north of downtown Atlanta in the Chamblee area. If you are out that way and want to treat yourself, give it a shot.

Favorite Dish: I had a Calzone. You make up your order to include whatever you want in it. I had pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, ham. They give you a little container of marinara sauce. This was an absolute treat as it is prepared freshly each day and is one of the best I have had. My fellow diners had a chicken salad (generous and fresh) and buffalo wings (also freshly prepared). We washed our food down with the largest bottles of Dos Equis beer I have seen!

I am sure everthing on the menu would be a treat.

Captain D's: Good Seafood in Waycross

by Basaic Written Nov 11, 2009

With my heart problems, I am supposed to eat more seafood and less steak. Not a major problem for me, I love seafood. Captain D's is a chain of restaurants that offer fast food style quick service but better food. I did enjoy my food here and I stop at Captain D's when I get the chance. Good seafood.

Well Read and Well Fed: Books and Food in Americus

by Basaic Written Nov 11, 2009

Well Read, Well Fed; as you may imagine from the name is a combination diner and bookstore. The food runs from soups, salads, burgers and sandwiches and the books are both paperbacks and hardbacks. The people who ran the place seemed nice. Check it out; you may find a book you've been looking for. I did.

Hooter's: Good Food, Great Waitresses in Albany

by Basaic Written Nov 11, 2009

I was out running some errands in Albany and decided to stop for lunch. There was a Hooters across the street. For anyone who is not acquainted with Hooters it is known for good food and attractive young waitresses in Tank Tops that say Hooters and bright orange short shorts. This was a typical Hooters with wood interior, beer signs, and the cute waitresses. I had a bowl of their Manhattan Clam Chowder which was typically great. I also love their Chili and their Chicken Wings. My waitress was extremely pretty.

Favorite Dish: The Manhattan Clam Chowder is well spiced and tastes great!

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles

House of China II: Great Chinese Food in Albany

by Basaic Written Nov 11, 2009

I offered to buy my sister lunch and we decided on Chinese. She brought me here. Great Choice. The decor is nice, the owner very friendly and the food was great.

Favorite Dish: Black Bean Fish. Good for you and tasted great!

Hooters: Great Wings and Things in Valdosta

by Basaic Written Aug 3, 2007

For those who have never entered a Hooters Restaurant, they serve things like Fried Chicken, soups, sandwiches, burgers, etc. They are best known for their wings and their waitresses. The waitresses wear Hooters T-Shirts, orange short shorts, and stockings. They are usually young and attractive. The Hooters in Valdosta is no acception.

Favorite Dish: They have great wings and I like their Chili (I add onion and cheese).

• Singles

Blackbeard's Seafood and Barbecue: Great Seafood in Albany

by Basaic Updated Aug 3, 2007

I do not have nearly as extensive experience dining in Albany as my fellow VTer Spartan (see his Albany Page); but I agree that Blackbeard's is an excellent restaurant. The portions were huge and the price made it a very good deal. Eight of us had dinner there and we were all very pleased. Our waitress was efficient and attentive. If I need to eat out in Albany again (my sister lives there and she is an excellent cook) I will probably choose Blackbeard's. Sorry, I don't have any photos.

Favorite Dish: I had the Captain's Platter which was a huge selection of various types of seafood all very well prepared.

• take_it_eazie's Profile Photo

Thai- Laos Food ? ? ? over here

by take_it_eazie Written Oct 5, 2004

l knew this restaurant from one of my friend who worked with me at Atlanta .She said she went out and felt hungry so she stopped at this restaurant and maybe beacuse there are thai food served . After she had the foods, she came back and said " you have to go to this restaurant " they are so kind and the food was great ! ! !

Favorite Dish: Papaya salad / Green curry pork /

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

The Bulloch House: Great Southern Food at the Bulloch House

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Sep 27, 2004

The Bulloch House offers down home Southern Cooking in a Southern Mansion built in 1862.

They offer a buffet of vegetables and meats. It's simple country fare, nothing special. That's what makes it so good.

Luckily the house is large as they can get large crowds in during the tourist season.

Favorite Dish: The Bulloch House is famous for their Fried Chicken and Fried Green Tomatoes. They also had Fried Apples on the menu.

If you do not like Fried food though, you may want to skip the Bulloch House.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Bar b que: Bar b que

by goingsolo Written Jul 12, 2004

One of my favortie types of southern food is the good old fashioned bar be que. Places like this one can be found throughout Georgia. They are generally pretty cheap too.

Favorite Dish: Barbeque beef, ribs, chicken, cole slaw, the whole deal.

Georgia Hotels

70 Reviews - 149 Photos
Americus Hotels
5 Reviews - 25 Photos

Instant Answers: Georgia

Comments

Georgia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Georgia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Georgia sightseeing.
Map of Georgia