Saint Marys Local Customs

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Howard Gilman Memorial Park

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Park entrance

As we walked from the marina to dinner, we passed this park. It is named The Howard Gilman Memorial Park. The Howard Gilman Foundation donated approximately $1 million dollars for the construction of the waterfront park. (No I don't know who Howard Gilman was.)

Residents of the city were asked to choose which amenities they would like to include. The park officially opened on June 30, 2001. and on July 4th they had the fireworks display there.

The website offers a virtual tour of the park and says:

"Don't miss the Tilden Norris Marsh Walk a short walk from the waterfront park"

• Eco-Tourism

• Tarnished Sterlings

by DenaL Updated Mar 25, 2007

Welcome to Sterlings the most inhospitable restaurant in the South! I have had several experiences here, the first is the snooty attitude of the staff, but it is quaint & the food ok so I overlooked that. Next, I bring my boat club friends here to dinner. Not only have they run out of dessert (the whole reason for going)but the server empties a glass of ice water down the back of one our guests, remember we came by boat & walked there, it was 25 degrees walking back. My mother in law, a native, called to make arrangments for a baby shower with approximately 20 guests. No problem, we have showers all the time. She even called to verify the reservation & was told no problem. When the 20 guest arrive, we are told NO GIFTS, NO PARTIES. Are you kidding me? I have guests from North Carolina & Orlando, FL & they wanted us to leave because "They are trying to run a business!" Excuse me, we are your business. Also we were told if we have one more guest show up, then we would have to pay $45 per person for a $9.95 lunch plate. The place never filled up, there were no people waiting for our tables. The guy can't count either, he tried to put 20 adults & an infant into 15 chairs. We should have left, but where do you go with 20 guests toting gifts? They didn't want to give up the dessert either, We were told there was only one piece of cake left, then as if by magic, another entire cake appearered. By the way, we asked if they would order extra Lemon & Coconut pies prior to our reserved day, NO, if we run out then it is your fault for not coming earlier in the week. There are other eateries to choose from with genuine Southern Hospitality.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Camping
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: Saint Marys

Comments

Saint Marys Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Saint Marys local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Marys sightseeing.