Savannah Restaurants

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Chart House: RiverFront!

by tpangelinan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Chart House in Savannah

This build used to be an old sugar and cotton warehouse built prior to 1790. This is the oldest masonry building in the State of Georgia. Located in the Historic district in Savannah.

Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 P.M. - 10:00 P.M
    Friday - Saturday: 5:30 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.

The Chart House Restaurant chain opened it's first doors in 1961 and is known for great food and a casual, relaxed atmosphere, now has 25 locations all over the east and west coast.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Clary's: Breakfast in the historic district

by Dabs Updated Nov 14, 2010

The Elvis

Clary's is mentioned in "The Book" (what "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" is known as) as the place where Luther Driggers eats breakfast every morning, or at least orders breakfast and then decides whether to eat it. Clary's wasn't far from our hotel so we wandered over on Saturday morning for breakfast before we hit the road. I had expected it to be more crowded, based on the lines at Mrs. Wilkes, but we walked right in and got a seat. Service was fast and efficient.

Favorite Dish: I couldn't resist ordering the Elvis, thick sourdough french toast with peanut butter and bananas and whipped cream ($6.99). I couldn't finish the order, too rich and too filling, but delicious. David ordered corned beef hash which came with two eggs any style, grits or fried potatoes and a biscuit or toast ($9.99).

Huey's: Seafood and more

by Dabs Updated Nov 7, 2010

I still hadn't quite digested my lunch by the time we needed to eat dinner in order to make the ghost tour, we thought about Paula Deen's Lady & Sons but they could only get us in at 5:30 which was too early so we tried Huey's which had also been recommended to us by our hotel.

Favorite Dish: I wasn't overly hungry and the shrimp po' boy I saw someone eating didn't look all that good so I ordered a cup of gumbo which was very good and the BBQ shrimp appetizer which was just OK. David got shrimp and grits and said it was good.

The Pirates House: Southern lunch buffet

by Dabs Updated Nov 7, 2010

After deciding that we didn't want to spend 2+ hours of our short time in Savannah in line at Mrs. Wilkes, we went back to our hotel and asked what other choices we had for lunch and they recommended several places including the Pirates House. That turned out to be a very good recommendation

Favorite Dish: You can order off the menu for lunch or get the lunch buffet for $13.95 which is what we had so we could sample a lot of different items. Everything that I tried on the buffet was very good and served at the right temperature-fried chicken, fried catfish, a crab and shrimp dish, macaroni and cheese, pulled pork, fried okra, corn. There was also grits, black eyed peas, green beans, collard greens plus they brought a basket of corn bread and biscuits. For dessert they bring you a piece of key lime pie.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Six Pence Pub: A Taste of the Mother Country

by TexasDave Updated Oct 27, 2010

This place is a close approximation of an English pub with lots of authentic memorabilia on the walls. There are British classics on the menu, i.e. shepherd's pie, bangers and mash, etc.
    As afternoon turns to evening there is more of a true pub feel to the place.

• The Lady & Sons: Not too fund of the Lady & Sons

by msdenishaatl Written Sep 20, 2010

The restaurant was really nice. I loved the ambience more than the food. Not a good thing. The buffet was reasonably priced but not what I expected. Most of the food was bland. I did find the fried chicken tasty.

Favorite Dish: Fried chicken was good...I also liked the double chocolate dessert and the peach cobbler.

• Women's Travel

• Moon River Brewing Company: Great food on the moon!

by msdenishaatl Updated Sep 20, 2010

Nice friendly atmophere

Favorite Dish: I loved the BBQ pulled pork sandwich and the veggie wrap. The sandwiches and wraps are only $7 with a side item. This place gives really large portions as well. The nachos were enough for 4 people! I was pleasantly suprised to find awesome food at a brewery. It was better than everything we tried at The Lady and Sons.

• Museum Visits

• The Shrimp Factory: Shrimp Factory -- Quite Unpleasant

by wolbbg Written Jun 24, 2010

The Shrimp Factory is located on River Street in the historic district of Savannah. It had a good review from Fodor's (?? - one of our travel books) and our trolley tour guide, so we thought we would give it a try for lunch. We stopped in around 2pm on a Wednesday, and were promptly seated. All of the folks there were adequately friendly.

However: Food was over-priced (especially kid's menu items), and the food quality was well below average. On a scale of 1 to 10, we would rate the food quality a 3 -- and that's maybe being a bit generous.

The restaurant itself did not seem especially clean, and an unpleasant odor wafted across the entire dining area throughout our meal. BTW, the odor _was_ coming from inside the restaurant, not outside. The restrooms (men's & women's) were a filthy, stinking mess -- usually a decent indication of how well the rest of the restaurant is maintained.

In short, The Shrimp Factory was a MAJOR disappointment. There are many better options in this area of town.

Favorite Dish: nothing/nada/nichts

• deaglos's Profile Photo

The Crabshack - Tybee Island: Best Crabshack yet

by deaglos Written May 24, 2010

It is pet friendly (all the cats tell you that) and an awesome place.
    The low country boil is among the best I have had, and the service is wonderful.
    We where there for about 2 hours total just enjoying it all.

Favorite Dish: Low country boil of course

• Travel with Pets

• mtnnewf's Profile Photo

Kevin Barry's: Good Food and History, Too

by mtnnewf Written Nov 29, 2009

Kevin Barry's is an Irish pub and restaurant. We ate on the first floor. Great Irish food, but a little croweded and loud (it is a bar, after all). Service was okay, other than our waitress gave the wrong drinks to the right people. We figured it out.

What we thought was absolutely the best part of KB is the "museum" upstairs. There is an amazing array of memorabilia and pictures of America's warriors. Many of the more recent wars are represented by autographed pictures and notes. Apparently, from the experiences of the members of our organization, the owner is a strong supporter of the members of the US Armed Forces.

Favorite Dish: I had the corned beef and cabbage. It was great. My husband had something with sausage, but we can't remember what. It was good, too.

En Papillote: En Papillote

by SFHulaGIrl Written Nov 12, 2009

I wanted to like this place more than I actually did. The decor was darling, the offerings were reasonably priced, the staff was genial... I ordered the cheese plate with a glass of wine for $9.99. Unfortunately, the cheese plate was pre-packaged and kept cold, which isn't the best for brie and camembert. The four cheeses came with apples, grapes and walnuts. She was kind enough to slice some brioche (I believe) to go along with it. The house chardonnay was just so-so. To end my snack, I had a strawberry macaron ($1.75). That, however, was wonderful. A bit bigger than most that are offered in San Francisco, and very flavorful. I'd still go back to try their croque monsieur or a crepe.

Cupcake Emporium: Little Sweets

Quote on the wall of the Cupcake Emporium

I wandered into this cute little place one morning craving something small and sweet to eat. I perused their cupcake offerings and settled on one with pistachio frosting. I liked it, but didn't find it particularly better than other cupcakes I've eaten. Service was very friendly, though.

Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House: Family Feast

by SFHulaGIrl Written Nov 12, 2009

One half of the table when the food began

I'd heard and seen so much about Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House that I was determined to eat there upon arrival in Savannah. Mrs. Wilkes is located in a lovely residential neighborhood and specializes in Southern "low country" cuisine. I'd heard that it's typical to wait in a long line, so arrived extra early in order to avoid that, for the most part. When I arrived about 10:15 a.m. on a Thursday morning, I was the first person in line. A few benches are provided to sit on, as they don't open until 11:00 a.m. Once the doors were opened, each guest was directed to sit at a certain table. Each table seems to seat between 8 and 12 people. Before the meal begins, an employee says grace. From that point on, bowls and platters of food are passed around the table. Once you're finished eating, you bus your own plate, utensils and glass to the kitchen, then pay $16 at the front (cash only) on your way out.

Favorite Dish: On the Thursday that I was there, they served fried chicken, beef stew, chicken and dumplings, collard greens, black eyed peas, succotash, macaroni and cheese, squash, mashed potatoes, candied yams, macaroni salad, lima beans, wild rice and too many other dishes to mention. Dessert choices were either cherry cobbler or banana pudding. Beverages were coffee, sweet tea or unsweetened tea. I though the fried chicken was good, but not as good as my Grandma's!! I really liked the beef stew, though. As for the other dishes, they were average. Even so, I will definitely return to Mrs. Wilkes. The experience was wonderful. Most of the people at my table or who were standing in line had been there many times before, even though they were from out of state. Two of the gentlemen at my table were Savannah residents; one of whom told me that he dines there at least three times per week!

Peking House: Chinese Fast Food

by SFHulaGIrl Written Nov 12, 2009

Huge menu, huge portions and affordable prices. I was impressed with the number of different egg fu yungs on offer. I currently live in San Francisco and am hard pressed to find a Chinese restaurant that serves regular egg fu yung, while they have regular, roast pork, beef and shrimp. The restaurant itself is spartan, to say the least. You'll find a bench, as well as a table with two chairs -- not really conducive to eating there.

Favorite Dish: I ordered beef egg fu yung and a shrimp egg roll. My order was ready quickly and came with steamed rice and fortune cookies. In my opinion, the food was solid, but not spectacular. However, the sauce that accompanied the egg fu yung was the BOMB! Also, the egg fu yung consisted of three nice size pancakes. My bill was around $7 or $8. I would eat here again in a pinch.

• Singles

Il Pasticcio: Top-Rated Italian

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Nov 12, 2009

Spaghettini with seafood

Since Il Pasticcio was one of the top rated Italian restaurants in Savannah, as well as being one of the top rated Italian restaurants in the U.S. in the not so distant past, I thought I'd give it a try. The space is huge. The lounge & bar area are particularly nice, in my opinion. The flat screen T.V. showing sports, however, always mars that "chill" feeling in a lounge.

Favorite Dish: I went with the spaghettini with scallops, shrimp, mushrooms & tomatoes ($22.00) and a soda ($2.25). The pasta was good; nothing more, nothing less. It was filling. Service, by Edwin, was excellent.

Ladies should return on Thursdays for Endless Bubbles (i.e. unlimited $1 glasses of champagne for the ladies all evening). Edwin recognized me when I returned the following evening to indulge in a little bubbly. Whatever kind of champagne it was, I liked it. When I eventually had to go due to a previous engagement, they happily packed my champagne up in a plastic "to go" cup. I couldn't have been happier!

Instant Answers: Savannah

Comments

Savannah Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Savannah restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Savannah sightseeing.