Founded in 1755, the original church burned in 1889. The 4 columns in the sanctuary were all made from the same tree was was chosen after an exhaustive search throughout the South. Its design closely imitates St. Martin-in-the-Fields church in London.
It is also featured in the movie "Forrest Gump" as the church spire from where a single feather floats down to the square (Chippewa Sq.) below.