The Lucas Theater was built in 1921 on the corner of Abercorn and Congress Street in Savannah, Georgia. It was built for Colonel Arthur Lewis by C. K. Howell as a theater. The Lucas Theater is a four story building that seats 1,237 people. It is made of steel, terra cotta, and concrete. It has a lobby that once served as a restaurant. It has a dome with 600 lights and a diameter of 40 feet. Soon after its opening in 1921, it became a very popular theater serving as a source of entertainment. For 10 cents, anybody could watch a movie. When television became popular in 1951, the Lucas lost its appeal. The last movie played at the Lucas Theater was The Exorcist (a movie about a girl possessed by a demon). Between 1976 and 1984 there were many plans to either restore it, change it to something else, or just simply demolish and build something new.
The Lucas Theater for the Arts Foundation was formed to save the Lucas. Through this organization, government donations, and other donations, the Lucas Theater was restored. The official re-opening was on December 1st, 2000. The Lucas Theater has shown many movies such as The Legend of Baggar Vance, which was filmed in and around Savannah and will show many movies in the years to come