Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Savannah

My autographed copy of the book.
    by ZanieOR
  • ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Read The Book

by ZanieOR Updated Feb 24, 2005

My autographed copy of the book.

This should probably be in the General Tips section, but oh, well.

Be sure to read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you visit Savannah!
    It is full of rich atmosphere and details about the history, tradition and society of Savannah, that I found much more fascinating than the main true-life murder story.

Watch the movie, too, but though it stars Kevin Spacey and John Cusack and is directed by Clint Eastwood, it doesn't come close to the richness of what people in Savannah refer to as "The Book." It is filmed in Savannah, however, and the most interesting character in the book, drag queen Lady Chablis", plays herself. (She still performs in Club One once a month, so they say)

How Savannah liked "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil":
    - Albert Scardino, former editor of the Georgia Gazette: "I thought it was a very fine piece of reportage. It was dramatic and dark and entertaining. It's a compliment to Berendt that he took extraordinarily colorful material and very, very accurately portrayed this Gothic atmosphere."
    - The Lady Chablis, chanteuse: "I told John that as he goes up that ladder of success, I'm on the step right behind him. And that ain't easy, honey, with these heels on."
    - Gloria Daniels, Joe Odom's housecleaner: "I got to get Mr. John's address. I want him to do my obituary before I die."
    - Regina Odom, bookseller: "I have had several customers who think this book is not a very good image for Savannah. 'The Married Woman's Club is very cliquish,' they say. Or, 'I'm going to borrow it from a friend. I don't want that trash in my house.'"

Instant Answers: Savannah