Mapped out in 1734 as Lower New Square, the square was renamed for John Reynolds, first Royal Governor of Georgia.
A statue was erected in 1979, for John Wesley who founded the Baptist Church (look at the brass plate below).
On August 10, 1776 the Declaration of Independence was first read to Georgians in a house beside this square. It is named Reynolds Square in honor of the first Royal Governor of Georgia.
In the center of the square is this statue of the Rev John Wesley who accompanied Oglethorpe from England. Wesley was one of the first rectors of Christ Church in Savannah and the founder of Methodism. While Wesley was great in many ways, his stay in Savannah was less than stellar. According to local legend he became unpopular with his parishoners becausee he walked around recording the "sins" they were committing and then reported them to the congregation on Sunday. He also had an unsuccessful romance with a Miss Sophy Hopkey and at one point refused her the Eucharist. But he went back to England and seems to have gotten his act together.